• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Even more everyday racial discrimination!

The VP denies that Duke told the company to fire the two employees but the company says Duke did tell them to. Why lie?

Yes, seriously.

You're engaging in a form of victim blaming that isn't very far removed from "well they shouldn't have been playing their music so loud" or "he shouldn't have flirted with that white girl" or any number of variations of what you call "single lapses in judgment."

If they wanted to fire someone for that then go ahead, but be prepared for the potential negative coverage/backlash and don't lie about it.

If both of the fired employees were white (instead of just one), would this "incident" even register on the selective outrage scale of the Tunnels' Left?

My perspective is that the contract worker who had put in 18 months with no previous record of workplace misconduct is fired after apologizing for a single mistake; a mistake enabled by the apparent lack of policy surrounding music at the coffee shop ("play what's cool"). She played what she thought was cool - the music she enjoyed - and suffered for it.

I don't agree the song was appropriate, but I can see why the lapse in judgement might take place. Why do you think the "tremendous overreaction" took place?

I was illustrating a possible interpretation of the situation that I thought might be reasonable, short of racial discrimination. If it had been a white dude playing Slipknot I think you probably have the same result. People get fired for lapses of judgment all the time. It's not always fair. It's also not always racial discrimination.

You're engaging in a form of victim blaming that isn't very far removed from "well they shouldn't have been playing their music so loud" or "he shouldn't have flirted with that white girl" or any number of variations of what you call "single lapses in judgment."

No, I'm not. I'm not attributing some racially charged behavior to the fired employee. It's undisputed that she played a song that it appears everyone agrees was inappropriate, which was an error in judgment. That's grounds for termination. Like I said earlier, it may not be fair but that doesn't necessarily make it racial discrimination. Plenty of other good examples of that on this thread. OK, I'm done.

I was illustrating a possible interpretation of the situation that I thought might be reasonable, short of racial discrimination. If it had been a white dude playing Slipknot I think you probably have the same result. People get fired for lapses of judgment all the time. It's not always fair. It's also not always racial discrimination.

Thank you for arguing in good faith.

I respect your interpretation, but I'm not sure I agree that it's probable a white dude playing Slipknot would be fired after a year and a half on the job. It's a theoretical that is impossible to prove, so I have to rely on my own experiences and biases. Oh well.

I agree with your last three sentences here, though. It's not always. I guess as the tweet's OP I should explain that I posted it here because it is possible that someone along the chain of command here may have demonstrated an explicit discriminatory act through the firing - though that certainly has yet to be confirmed. I'm not claiming this is an open and shut case of racial discrimination. Though I'd guess that a number of "everyday" racial discrimination acts fail to rise to that level, as they rely on cognitive biases that we all have.

Uh, yeah, that song isn't appropriate for a campus coffee shop.

Probably need to know who's lying first in order to answer that question, right?

The "why lie" was for either side.

Likely a case of Duke asking the company to do something about it without saying "fire them" and the company viewing the request as a "fire them."

it's probable the owner was so aggravated that he just said "fuck it, both are fired for even getting me into this conversation with my biggest contract."

According to the obtained audio from the meeting where the company asked the two individuals to resign, the company's HR rep said:

"Duke University has instructed us to terminate the employees that were working that day.”

Could just be passing the buck at the time of firing, but again - someone isn't telling the truth.

Back