• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Even more everyday racial discrimination!

Keep them away from a Trump event. They are getting into his preferred age range.

RJ, how old was the last woman you made whoopee with ? You're a good 35 years older than Monica if I had to guess.

I think this is a good thread for this article. When I was at a maternity class at Novant I spoke with another first time father, a black man, during the lunch break and he talked about how scared he was because pregnancy was dangerous for black women. I had never even considered that it was specifically different. I've read a couple of articles since then and it's harrowing
https://www.propublica.org/article/...-women-from-dying-in-pregnancy-and-childbirth

...“It’s chronic stress that just happens all the time — there is never a period where there’s rest from it, it’s everywhere, it’s in the air, it’s just affecting everything,” said Fleda Mask Jackson, an Atlanta researcher and member of the Black Mamas Matter Alliance who studies disparities in birth outcomes.
It’s a type of stress from which education and class provide no protection. “When you interview these doctors and lawyers and business executives, when you interview African-American college graduates, it’s not like their lives have been a walk in the park,” said Michael Lu, a longtime disparities researcher and former head of the Maternal and Child Health Bureau of the Health Resources and Services Administration, the main federal agency funding programs for mothers and infants. “It’s the experience of having to work harder than anybody else just to get equal pay and equal respect. It’s being followed around when you’re shopping at a nice store, or being stopped by the police when you’re driving in a nice neighborhood.”
Arline Geronimus, a professor at the University of Michigan School of Public Health, coined the term “weathering” for how this continuous stress wears away at the body. Weathering “causes a lot of different health vulnerabilities and increases susceptibility to infection,” she said, “but also early onset of chronic diseases, in particular, hypertension and diabetes” — conditions that disproportionately affect blacks at much younger ages than whites. It accelerates aging at the cellular level; in a 2010 study, Geronimus and colleagues found that the telomeres (chromosomal markers of aging) of black women in their 40s and 50s appeared 7 1/2 years older on average than those of whites.
Weathering can have particularly serious repercussions in pregnancy and childbirth, the most physiologically complex time in a woman’s life. Stress has been linked to one of the most common and consequential pregnancy complications, preterm birth. Black women are 49 percent more likelythan whites to deliver prematurely (and, closely related, black infants are twice as likely as white babies to die before their first birthday). Here again, income and education aren’t protective. 
The effects on the mother’s health may also be far-reaching. Maternal age is an important risk factor for many severe pregnancy-related complications, as well as for chronic diseases that can affect pregnancy, like hypertension. “As women get older, birth outcomes get worse,” Lu said. “If that happens in the 40s for white women, it actually starts to happen for African-American women in their 30s.”
This means that for black women, the risks for pregnancy likely start at an earlier age than many clinicians — and women— realize, and the effects on their bodies may be much greater than for white women. This doesn’t mean that pregnancy should be thought of as inherently scary or dangerous for black women (or anyone). It does mean, in Geronimus’ view, that “a black woman of any social class, as early as her mid-20s, should be attended to differently” — with greater awareness of the potential challenges ahead...

...Until recently, much of the discussion about maternal mortality has focused on pregnancy and childbirth. But according to the most recent CDC data, more than half of maternal deaths occur in the postpartum period, and one-third happen seven or more days after delivery. For American women in general, postpartum care can be dangerously inadequate — often no more than a single appointment four to six weeks after going home. “If you’ve had a cesarean delivery, if you’ve had preeclampsia, if you’ve had gestational diabetes or diabetes, if you go home on an anticoagulant — all those women need to be seen significantly sooner than six weeks,” said Haywood Brown, a professor at Duke University medical school. Brown has made reforming postpartum care one of his main initiatives as president of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
The dangers of sporadic postpartum care may be particularly great for black mothers. African Americans have higher rates of C-section and are more than twice as likely to be readmitted to the hospital in the month following the surgery. They have disproportionate rates of preeclampsia and peripartum cardiomyopathy (a type of heart failure), two leading killers in the days and weeks after delivery. They’re twice as likely as white women to have postpartum depression, which contributes to poor outcomes, but they are much less likely to receive mental health treatment. If they experience discrimination or disrespect during pregnancy or childbirth, they may be more likely to skip postpartum visits to check on their own health (they do keep pediatrician appointments for their babies). Lack of paid maternity leave and childcare can create additional hurdles. In one study published earlier this year, two-thirds of low-income black women never made it to their doctor visit.
Meanwhile, many providers wrongly assume that the risks end when the baby is born — and that women who came through pregnancy and delivery without problems will stay healthy. In the case of black women, providers may not understand their true biological risks or evaluate those risks in a big-picture way. “The maternal experience isn’t over right at delivery. All of the due diligence that gets applied during the prenatal period needs to continue into the postpartum period,” said Eleni Tsigas, executive director of the Preeclampsia Foundation.
It’s not just doctors and nurses who need to think differently. Like a lot of expectant mothers, Shalon had an elaborate plan for how she wanted to give birth, even including what she wanted her surgical team to talk about (nothing political) and who would announce the baby’s gender (her mother, not a doctor or nurse). But like most pregnant women, she didn’t have a postpartum care plan for herself. “It was just trusting in the system that things were gonna go okay,” Wanda said. “And that if something came up, she’d be able to handle it.”

Seems like they realized they screwed up and are trying to distract with an even louder reaction, with the implication that staying with Duke would be unethical, so Duke must be unethical.

At this point, I’m suspicious the Duke folks simply complained about the music, the coffee shop owner/management overreacted and fired the two employees while blaming Duke, Duke either insisted they correct the record and/or told them they were not welcome to stay on campus, coffee shop pretends to take high road.

Wonder if further statement from Duke is forthcoming.

There's got to be some common thread to the Duke lacrosse team.

White guys are getting kicked out of coffee shops? Now I'm irate.

White woman calls cops on a black real estimate investor for checking on one of his properties. This time cops call her on her BS.

https://trib.al/lFBycVv

In a video posted to YouTube earlier this month, Michael Hayes, a real estate investor in Memphis, Tenn., went to a house that was in desperate need of a fixing up to inspect it. It was at that point, he said, that a woman came out of a neighboring house demanding to know what he was doing. Ever affable, Hayes said that he readily showed the woman his investment contract, which showed that he had permission to work on the house, as well as the written permission he received from the homeowner.

Still, Karen the unidentified woman wouldn’t be swayed and called the police anyway.

Thankfully, in this case, the police were quick to call the woman out on her bullshit and defended Hayes’ right to be there.

“You keep the camera rolling. If you have any problems with her, what I want you to do is call me back over here,” a white male officer reassures Hayes. “She will go to jail for that.”

“I don’t care if you’re friends with the president,” he snaps. “You’re going to let him do what he’s going to do. If you try to do anything to stop him, I’m going to take you to jail.”

“Hurry up, do it and get out!” the woman sneers in Hayes’ direction.

Again, the cops were not having it.

“No, no. He can take his time,” a female officer chimes in.

“He can take all day,” the male officer agrees.

At Hayes’ request, and after he voiced his own discomfort, the officers agree to stick around while he takes pictures of the property to ensure his safety.
————-

This harassment isn’t going to stop until one of these nosey white ladies gets fined.

I recently saw a movie about a black photographer and a white woman trying to control his actions.

White dude gets angry about a waiter and customer speaking to each other in Spanish. Video in the link.
http://www.latinorebels.com/2018/05/16/angrywhitedude/

This is a quick transcript of what transpired:
WHITE DUDE: …your staff are speaking Spanish to customers, when they should be speaking English.
EMPLOYEE: Sometimes they do…
WHITE DUDE: Every person I listened to. He spoke it. He spoke it. She’s speaking it. It’s America.
VOICE 1: It is America.
VOICE 2: That’s fucked up.
VOICE 1: He’s very ignorant, and he shouldn’t be allowed…
WHITE DUDE: So I will be following up, and my guess is, they’re not documented. So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country. If they have the balls to come here and live off of my money. I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do, they least they can do is speak English…. If you intend on running a place in midtown Manhattan, your staff should be speaking English, not Spanish.
VOICE 1: Because of people like you, our nation is fucked up…
WHITE DUDE: Honey, I’m calling ICE..
VOICE 1: Call ICE.
WHITE DUDE: Maybe you shouldn’t eat that sandwich today. Take a break from the food.
VOICE 1: Maybe you should get hit by a car, you piece of shit.

It was Riverside. He had to hurry back to cooking his meth.

A young black guy at the polls yesterday took a look at me and deliberately un-readied the next of his stack of campaign fliers.

First-World-Problems.jpg

White dude gets angry about a waiter and customer speaking to each other in Spanish. Video in the link.
http://www.latinorebels.com/2018/05/16/angrywhitedude/

This is a quick transcript of what transpired:
WHITE DUDE: …your staff are speaking Spanish to customers, when they should be speaking English.
EMPLOYEE: Sometimes they do…
WHITE DUDE: Every person I listened to. He spoke it. He spoke it. She’s speaking it. It’s America.
VOICE 1: It is America.
VOICE 2: That’s fucked up.
VOICE 1: He’s very ignorant, and he shouldn’t be allowed…
WHITE DUDE: So I will be following up, and my guess is, they’re not documented. So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country. If they have the balls to come here and live off of my money. I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do, they least they can do is speak English…. If you intend on running a place in midtown Manhattan, your staff should be speaking English, not Spanish.
VOICE 1: Because of people like you, our nation is fucked up…
WHITE DUDE: Honey, I’m calling ICE..
VOICE 1: Call ICE.
WHITE DUDE: Maybe you shouldn’t eat that sandwich today. Take a break from the food.
VOICE 1: Maybe you should get hit by a car, you piece of shit.

And this is the angry white dude who got mad about a waiter speaking in Spanish with a customer. Apparently, he has no problem with his employees speaking in Spanish with his customers.

32638382_1726817154038494_8880378242108751872_o.jpg

Something must have snapped with that Schlossberg dude. I'd expect someone with an office in midtown Manhattan to be well adjusted to people speaking Spanish, or any language. The "about" page on his website says he's fluent in Spanish. https://www.aaronschlossberglaw.com/About/Aaron-M-Schlossberg.shtml

I mean that’s how privilege works. This guy can have a bad day and snap, and get somebody deported (or scare them into thinking he’s going to get them deported).

I hope that Schlossberg gets the help that he needs because that’s no way to treat anybody, let alone service workers.

The dude's a grade A asshole, but I'm against the doxing vigilantes in general.

I see where you're coming from, but we live in a world where people can get people fired or even killed in a heartbeat with xenophobic complaints. Doxing is a counterbalance that hopefully discourages such behavior.

Back