• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's the latest on Wolford and the Jets?

Probably best to just show up on campus and ask around.

Is he really trying out for the Chargers too? Jets seems like a tough situation given that you know they just drafted Darnold.

Is he really trying out for the Chargers too? Jets seems like a tough situation given that you know they just drafted Darnold.
Yes and no. They added to their QB group, which makes it tougher for Wolford to earn a spot, but he's not battling against Darnold specifically, he's battling against the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th QBs on the roster right now. He might have a shot at being a PS or 3rd QB if Hack and Bridgewater both continue to struggle/be hurt.

Yes. He'll be at Chargers mini-camp.

The Jets are a good spot. If Bridgewater and Darnold look good, I could see them keeping Wolford on the practice squad and letting McCown and Hackenberg go.

I wonder if he'd take a practice squad job over a NYC investment banking job.

Why not both? Instead of being on the bank's flag football team, he'll just be on the Jets instead. Sorry, can't come to your 3PM meeting today; I have to watch Dolphins film with Sam and Teddy.

Wolford seems like the kind of guy that wants to prove he can play with the big boys. Even if it's for a couple of seasons, he wants to look back and say he played in the NFL. He'll have plenty of time for a fancy investment gig.

Yeah. I think he'll be our radio color commentator at some point. He's impressive in interviews. Stick around the NFL as long as possible and then get one of those sweetheart Elrod jobs.

I kind of disagree. He seems like the kind of guy who won't stick around an NFL practice squad or roster-hop from team to team trying to make it. If he doesn't feel like he has a shot to make a legitimate career (starter or well-payed career #2) in the NFL, I bet he hangs it up sooner rather than later and starts earning 6 figures on Wall St, where he apparently has a job waiting for him.

Yes. He'll be at Chargers mini-camp.

The Jets are a good spot. If Bridgewater and Darnold look good, I could see them keeping Wolford on the practice squad and letting McCown and Hackenberg go.

Not McCown, but Hackenberg yes

it was a bit surprising that the article spoke of his arm strength as being more than adequate. I wondered how he would measure against the NFL standard in that regard.

John Spanos, Chargers President of Football Operations & member of ownership family is a Wake guy. I expect he knows what Wolford brings to the table. Might work out to be a good opportunity for him.

Didn’t a poster used to be a scout for the Chargers?

he'd probably make more on an NFL practice squad (like $7500/week) than he would his first year at an i-bank. Second year... probably not.

Anyway he'd obviously want to chase the NFL dream for a bit since the i-banks aren't going anywhere. It definitely wouldn't hurt his resume to wait.

Why not both? Instead of being on the bank's flag football team, he'll just be on the Jets instead. Sorry, can't come to your 3PM meeting today; I have to watch Dolphins film with Sam and Teddy.

Sounds like a decent movie pitch.

Working title: Wolf of Wall Street

Can we make this the general 2018 Deacs in the NFL/Tryouts/PS thread?

Saints cut Coby Fleener just in time for our boy Cam Serigne to show them what's up

I kind of disagree. He seems like the kind of guy who won't stick around an NFL practice squad or roster-hop from team to team trying to make it. If he doesn't feel like he has a shot to make a legitimate career (starter or well-payed career #2) in the NFL, I bet he hangs it up sooner rather than later and starts earning 6 figures on Wall St, where he apparently has a job waiting for him.

That sounds like the same dumb mistake that Skinner made. You get one chance to play in the NFL, you have the rest of your life to be a corporate stooge.

Back