• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Track and Field

thatguy2016

Reaction score
100% realize that most people here don't GAF about track and field, but...

the ACC Championship meet starts tomorrow in Miami, and every school is sending between 15-25 men and a few more women to compete

WF is sending 5, yes five, male athletes (and 9 women...by far lowest in the conference for both genders).

Anyone have any idea why we are sending so few?

Only care about track if Allison Stokke is involved
akx4eh.jpg

The ACC pays for team travel, so it's not penny pinching. Where did you find these numbers?

Think that is Ricky Fowler's gf.

Noooooo! I used to like Rickie but now I am insanely jealous. Damn, I checked google and it has confirmed that this is true. When I die I hope to be reincarnated as Rickie Fowler, $32 million in career earnings and the hottest WAG ever. #winningatlife

Last edited:
So if I can take a wild guess, we probably knew we wouldn't be competitive in relays, so for some reason we're only sending people who we think can score.

Weird thing about track is that five athletes competing in two events each could hypothetically make us competitive. We're not gonna win, obviously, but I bet we don't come anywhere close to last place.

Also, decent chance that we place better at regionals than in the ACC. Track is a strange sport

So if I can take a wild guess, we probably knew we wouldn't be competitive in relays, so for some reason we're only sending people who we think can score.

Weird thing about track is that five athletes competing in two events each could hypothetically make us competitive. We're not gonna win, obviously, but I bet we don't come anywhere close to last place.

Also, decent chance that we place better at regionals than in the ACC. Track is a strange sport

agree that seems to be the strategy; I know you didn't say you support it, but it seems strange to me

to me, if you have a young sub-14:20 5k guy and a young 30:00 10k guy you send them to the conference championship and let them gain some experience

100% realize that most people here don't GAF about track and field, but...

the ACC Championship meet starts tomorrow in Miami, and every school is sending between 15-25 men and a few more women to compete

WF is sending 5, yes five, male athletes (and 9 women...by far lowest in the conference for both genders).

Anyone have any idea why we are sending so few?

That is really surprising. Especially considering that 12.6 men's track scholarships are allowed, and 18 women's track scholarships are permitted.

Does Wake not fully fund and fill all the track scholarships they are allowed?

Does Clawson have a policy against football players also competing in track in the spring? I know some years ago that four Wake FB players won some sprint relay races.

We were really competitive in the throwing events - men and women - and our throws coach left, to Stanford, I think.
We've regressed since then.

Especially considering that 12.6 men's track scholarships are allowed, and 18 women's track scholarships are permitted.

Is this just "track" or "track and cross-country"? If just track, the women's team could be very good.

Having only one participant in men's distance and no women below 5k is puzzling. Would seem they would participate to get PBs and the SB in 4 x 400 women.

Is this just "track" or "track and cross-country"? If just track, the women's team could be very good.

Having only one participant in men's distance and no women below 5k is puzzling. Would seem they would participate to get PBs and the SB in 4 x 400 women.

those scholarships are combined for track and cross

some schools go heavy on distance (Syracuse) - others don't even bother with cross (Southern Cal)

agree that seems to be the strategy; I know you didn't say you support it, but it seems strange to me

to me, if you have a young sub-14:20 5k guy and a young 30:00 10k guy you send them to the conference championship and let them gain some experience

I agree with you. I mean, nobody is scoring from the second 5k heat anyways, so stick a couple of guys in it. Probably people are injured.

The relays are slightly more baffling to me because this is a good opportunity to get qualifying times for regionals. I guess theoretically we might be sending teams to closer, fast-times meets, but punting on the conference championship seems dumb. who knows.

This would be a looot of injuries

The best chance Wake had for big points (Heppenstall) was disqualified for impeding another runner.

Wake 14th in mens and womens.
Male javelin thrower Shalaway got 4 points for 5th place. Even with Heppenstall Wake would not have finished higher.

Lol, fucking Syracuse put 6 in the top 8 in the 5k. Hilarious. Scored 34 points alone in that event.

Unsurprising that Elly Henes is very fast. I was her camp counselor years ago when she was a freshman or sophomore in high school and she was already smoking almost all of the high school dudes.

Last edited:
Back