• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Beach near Wilmington

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Can someone help me out with this as I have never been down in this area? I am just not sure I want to suck it up and go an extra 4 hours to OBX.

What's wrong with Wrightsville or Carolina Beach?

Bald Head Island is pretty cool. Have to take a ferry over (about 20 mins), but once you get there, very relaxing. No cars.

Sunset Beach. You might get the opportunity to punch [Redacted] in the face!

Seconded for Bald Head Island, especially if you're going for an Outer Banks thing rather than a Myrtle Beach light thing.

Bald Head Island is pretty cool. Have to take a ferry over (about 20 mins), but once you get there, very relaxing. No cars.

Named after your very own buckets!

Carolina Beach has a nice, old school fifties beach town vibe with funky restaurants, boardwalk, ice cream shops, etc. Just south of it is Kure Beach, which apparently is where all the money is as the houses there are amazing. Both are nice and the beaches themselves are very good.

Bald Head is awesome. If you go for the day, you can rent a golf cart at the ferry and easily find lots of empty beaches. Having lunch or dinner on the harbor is nice too. Really great place. Best in NC.

Sunset Beach. You might get the opportunity to punch [name redacted] in the face!
This is the deal right here. Plenty of golf courses in the area, Boundary House Restaurant right down the road in Calabash, and NMB about 12 miles further south.

hell yeah. neck it up!

the answer is bald head island

Many restaurants on BHI?

No. Maybe 2 or so at the marina. I think the golf / beach club have a few but require a membership (usually via the house rental). The grocery store has a little cafe too.

Many restaurants on BHI?

The beach at BH is beautiful, the golf course is great and there are lots of ridiculously nice and expensive houses. That being said, it is a pain in the ass to get to and you are captive once you are there, as far as restaurants and other things to do - everything out there is over-priced and the choices are minimal. In my experience, people either love BHI or hate it.

Wrightsville is the best and most fun beach, but also more expensive than most other options. I have never been to Topsail but people love it - it would be a more affordable, family-friendly place. The Brunswick islands south of Wilmington are all good choices - if you go as far as Ocean Isle or Sunset you are close enough to Myrtle to drive down for a day, if that is attractive to you.
Carolina Beach is a more blue-collar area - the beach itself is really nice and there are some fun bars and restaurants. Kure is on the same island as Carolina beach and has much nicer real estate.

Back