• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our new normal of douchey political incorrectness

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
Preach.

Joking about John McCain's death is our terrible new normal

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/11/...in-death/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

"On and on the list goes. And it all adds up to one thing: Trump weaponized nastiness and bullying. He turned it into a political art form. He gave cover for all of those people with uninformed views -- on race, ethnicity and everything else -- to emerge from the shadows and speak out.

And, if you didn't laugh or "get the joke" -- even though Trump was often not joking in these circumstances -- you were part of the problem. Just another defender of a status quo that rewarded elites and left out the little guy. Just another person who didn't get it.

The issue with all of this is that it bastardized a very legitimate issue -- the growing income (and everything else) gap between the rich and the poor -- for Trump's own political purposes. He drove the divide for political reasons and, in his language, made it totally OK to say whatever you wanted about people you disagreed with because they had been out to get you for years. This was just payback. And man did they deserve it.

Nuance went out the window. Speaking hard truths that the country needed to hear -- as McCain has done throughout his career -- became indistinguishable from calling Sen. Ted Cruz's wife ugly or suggesting that we need to ban Muslims from entering the country. Political incorrectness became a crutch to justify racist and xenophobic views.

And in the middle of it all was Trump. When he wasn't engaging in these behaviors, he was refusing to condemn them -- an example of his abdication of the idea of the President as moral leader. Who am I to say who is right and who is wrong in the Charlottesville violence, Trump asked. Who am I to judge who is telling the truth -- Roy Moore or the multiple women who said he had pursued relationships with them when they were teenagers?

That view has trickled down. When CNN's Chris Cuomo asked State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert on Friday to comment on the "joke" about McCain's death, Nauert responded: "I'm not familiar with what you're familiar with." Really? Nauert hadn't heard about the story? I find that very, very hard to believe.

That collective shrug from the President of the United States and his allies coupled with the extant factors of our internal divisions and the sort of campaign he ran in 2016 created the toxic stew from which comments like the one Thursday by Sadler grow.

No one is standing up and saying "We can't treat people like this." And sadly, that vacuum in moral leadership means that the better angels of our nature are being drowned out by our demons."

Last edited:
lol everybody tryin to suck that man dick before he die
"Nuance went out the window. Speaking hard truths that the country needed to hear -- as McCain has done throughout his career --"

lol foh

Yeah. McCain spoke hard truths before or after making easy votes.

lol everybody tryin to suck that man dick before he die
"Nuance went out the window. Speaking hard truths that the country needed to hear -- as McCain has done throughout his career --"

lol foh

This is why the far left can't have nice things.

The guy gave his entire life to serve the country. Argue all you want with his policies and political legacy.

Don't fucking stoop to the same level as Trump.

That was the exception.

Criticizing his votes and consistency of his stance is not the same as mocking his military service or health. And whitewashing his political record is not the same as showing him respect.

This is why the far left can't have nice things.

The guy gave his entire life to serve the country. Argue all you want with his policies and political legacy.

Don't fucking stoop to the same level as Trump.
"political legacy"
political choices have human costs. John McCain's politics caused death and suffering in America and abroad.

edited - removed POW stuff, not worth it

Last edited:
I'm not on Trump's side at all here and couldn't disagree more with his stupid comments about McCain, but I'm curious.

Would Ross Perot's running mate, James Stockdale, a Vietnam POW that was held in the "Hanoi Hilton" for longer than McCain from what I recall, be fair game for even satire if a VP candidate with a similar background ran today? He was targeted by SNL during the 1992 campaign at least once for the "who am I, why am I here" statement he made at a VP debate explaining how he wasn't a politician.

In the SNL bit, I remember that Hartman played Stockdale and Carvey played Perot. Perot was driving out to the middle of nowhere to release the oblivious, confused Stockdale into the wild like a pet he no longer wanted.

Again, I know this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. I know Trump wasn't engaging in satire and think what Trump said was stupid, just wondering if the Stockdale bit would get past the writer's room or table read these days?

would say yes, definitely, because it should, but SNL’s political material lacks teeth these days so no guarantee they’d come up with something as good. That’s an all timer sketch.

Last edited:
I'm not on Trump's side at all here and couldn't disagree more with his stupid comments about McCain, but I'm curious.

Would Ross Perot's running mate, James Stockdale, a Vietnam POW that was held in the "Hanoi Hilton" for longer than McCain from what I recall, be fair game for even satire if a VP candidate with a similar background ran today? He was targeted by SNL during the 1992 campaign at least once for the "who am I, why am I here" statement he made at a VP debate explaining how he wasn't a politician.

In the SNL bit, I remember that Hartman played Stockdale and Carvey played Perot. Perot was driving out to the middle of nowhere to release the oblivious, confused Stockdale into the wild like a pet he no longer wanted.

Again, I know this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. I know Trump wasn't engaging in satire and think what Trump said was stupid, just wondering if the Stockdale bit would get past the writer's room or table read these days?

Given how low we have sunk on the civility and decency scale, I don't see why SNL or anyone else would hold back on somebody like Stockdale. I saw the 1992 VP debate, and his performance was embarrassingly bad. No doubt he was a genuine war hero and a decent man from what I could tell, but he was well out of his depth in that debate. I also have no doubt that, if a modern Stockdale opposed or criticized Trump in any way, that Trump would go after him in ways that would make the SNL satire (which was hilarious, btw) look mild in comparison.

I don’t think anybody has said no one who has ever been a POW can be mocked for what they’ve done in politics.

Cillizza is such a hack. This isn’t “our” new normal. This is Republicans being terrible human beings, as usual.

Thanks for the responses, just wanted to make sure people still have a sense of humor. Guess I thumbed the scale a bit with one of the best sketches of that era.

"political legacy"
political choices have human costs. John McCain's politics caused death and suffering in America and abroad.

edited - removed POW stuff, not worth it

Political choices across all parties and ideologies have human costs. That includes the choice of inaction. It's the elected officials job to weigh all of the costs and benefits and choose the best path forward with the information they have access to.

Unless an elected official made decisions in a purposely malicious or unethical manner, no one deserves to be disparaged while dying. I said the same thing about Teddy Kennedy when he was going through the same thing that McCain is going through today.

Comments like "sucking that man dick" only serve to reinforce Trump et al's message of intolerance and indecency.

Unless that's the type of county you want to leave for your children. I for one do not.

And for the record: I am mostly talking about respect in the context of death. I have few objections with satire or criticism of our elected leaders in the political arena provided it's somewhat constructive.

Last edited:

That's comparing apples to a polar bear. Of course, SNL and others would make fun of Stockdale today for saying that. It's funny and did happen. What Trump is defending was evil and disgusting. No person with a soul would ever defend what said about McCain.

Maybe it's my adult shift to atheism, but the death of an old man doesnt move me at all. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. He lived a long life as a rich and privileged white American celebrity, I have no pity for him. His family and friends can celebrate and mourn him - my only connection to him is through his work as a representative, and on the whole I resent his choices and actions.

Maybe it's my adult shift to atheism, but the death of an old man doesnt move me at all. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Interesting rhetorical move to reference your turn to atheism as justification for something and then immediately quote a phrase associated with the bible.

Back