• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jerusalem Embassy Opening Going Well

They would come here legally and stay. Right now, illegal immigration is way down. Those whom the wall would impact will find other ways.

There is no actual wall in the DMZ, evidence suggests: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/641/the-walls/act-four-8

Yeah, wasn't sure if there was a wall or electrified fence with razor wire or something else because I didn't think civilians were allowed to get close enough to see/photograph it.

Have to imagine some kind of barrier is there.

ETA: just listened to that clip. Very interesting. Biggest takeaway for me from the semantic, he said/she said discussion is that the argument is not worth having imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, wasn't sure if there was a wall or electrified fence with razor wire or something else because I didn't think civilians were allowed to get close enough to see/photograph it.

Have to imagine some kind of barrier is there.

ETA: just listened to that clip. Very interesting. Biggest takeaway for me from the semantic, he said/she said discussion is that the argument is not worth having imo.

Like the last 2 pages of this thread probably. Is it really worth evaluating the success of Hadrian's wall?

It's a pretty interesting story that Brian Reed compiled there. The whole episode was good but the best section was the first act: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/641/the-walls/act-one-10

A totally unnecessary move that accomplishes nothing and destabilizes one of the most explosive regions in the world.

i mean, we're talkin' walls here. let's get in the mud, bird man from bama

220px-1651_-_Archaeological_Museum%2C_Athens_-_Hadrian_-_Photo_by_Giovanni_Dall%27Orto%2C_Nov_11_2009.jpg

Jews, Christians, and Muslims dying for metaphors. All worshiping the same ancestral "God", and yet they can't get along because they all see their particular "God" as the true one.

That's all you need to understand about the never-ending conflict over there. Showing once again the abject failure of the three so-called great western religions.

A totally unnecessary move that accomplishes nothing and destabilizes one of the most explosive regions in the world.

The move accomplishes recognition that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel by the US, which means a lot to the Jewish people and their continuing advocacy for Zionism. Whether you're for or against it, the move accomplished that at least.

Otherwise, instability in the region may have a lot to do with the US and Israel, but it's not like the region was stable 2 days ago.

Two days ago, the region was not as volatile as it is now. Trump caused those deaths and injury for no sane reason.

Yeah RJ, it's not like Isreal didn't fire a bunch of rockets at an Iranian base in Syria in the last few days, a chemical bomb wasn't dropped on civilians causing the US, UK and France to fire a lot of rockets at Assad's assets in Syria recently, or we haven't been finishing off ISIS in the region.

These violent protests have been going on for a very long time. Israeli/Palestinian conflict predates Trump's administration.

Every other president realized that scoring a few cheap political points with the embassy change is not worth the inevitable loss of life and the lighting of the wick on that powder keg region. Then Trump happened and all he realized was , "cheap political points? Where do I get them?"

Yeah RJ, it's not like Isreal didn't fire a bunch of rockets at an Iranian base in Syria in the last few days, a chemical bomb wasn't dropped on civilians causing the US, UK and France to fire a lot of rockets at Assad's assets in Syria recently, or we haven't been finishing off ISIS in the region.

These violent protests have been going on for a very long time. Israeli/Palestinian conflict predates Trump's administration.

None of those have anything to do with these senseless killings. You are always looking for an excuse to give Trump a pass. These deaths are on him.

The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 authorized the embassy to move from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Every president since it became a law has paid lip service to it, scoring whatever "cheap political points" you think are out there. Something like 2% of this country is Jewish, where is the worthwhile political capital to be gained there?

Imo, the Palestinians would be better served by ridding themselves of Hamas leadership. The region has been on fire for decades, and Hamas is a substantial part of the problem regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

None of those have anything to do with these senseless killings. You are always looking for an excuse to give Trump a pass. These deaths are on him.

I don't need to try to give Trump a pass, this conflict has been around for what, 70 years. I don't understand why you can't look beyond what's right in front of you or what's convenient for you.

I don't like Trump, didn't vote for him and generally think he's out of his depth. I am pro-Israel and hope a 2-state solution can be achieved. I don't really see it working out any time soon, but it has nothing to do with Trump imo.

I don't need to try to give Trump a pass, this conflict has been around for what, 70 years. I don't understand why you can't look beyond what's right in front of you or what's convenient for you.

I don't like Trump, didn't vote for him and generally think he's out of his depth. I am pro-Israel and hope a 2-state solution can be achieved. I don't really see it working out any time soon, but it has nothing to do with Trump imo.

The conflict has been around for 70 years, but these events were caused by moving the embassy and by having the opening on these dates. Trump knows nothing, but Bibi knows better.

Re: Other POTUS, they understood the actual moving of the embassy would only happen AFTER there was peace. Without a two state solution, there will never be peace.

Back