• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Trout on pace for greatest season in MLB history

That's a parlor game stat. How about who were the RPs at the time? How deep were the staffs? How many relievers were used per game.

The speed of pitches wouldn't explain the difference of Bonds striking out 90-100 times less in a season than Bonds.

You keep bringing up general numbers rather discussing the specific players.

That's part of it, but you won't admit the mantra of a K not being as negative had impact.

maybe because you can't measure it. And its a chicken or egg debate that one would have a difficult time sorting out. You are simply explaining away completely different run environments because of anecdotal evidence that Ks are more acceptable.

It's not anecdotal.

Here's the Baseball Prospectus from 2004:

"From a quantitative perspective, however, there is little evidence to suggest that a strikeout is “worse” than a groundout, popout, or any other means of making an out, with respect to generating runs"

There are other such statements.

It's not anecdotal.

Here's the Baseball Prospectus from 2004:

"From a quantitative perspective, however, there is little evidence to suggest that a strikeout is “worse” than a groundout, popout, or any other means of making an out, with respect to generating runs"

There are other such statements.

That is different than saying "strikeouts are up because players care less about striking out"

If it's just another out, there is no stigma to striking out. It's no big deal.

But nothing I say or show will; ever convince you of anything. Even when B-R says WAR is significantly flawed parlor game, you won't relent.

It's patently absurd to use a stat/predictive number when the base line is it can be off 33% or more. You might as well get high and throw darts at a spinning wheel.

If it's just another out, there is no stigma to striking out. It's no big deal.

But nothing I say or show will; ever convince you of anything. Even when B-R says WAR is significantly flawed parlor game, you won't relent.

It's patently absurd to use a stat/predictive number when the base line is it can be off 33% or more. You might as well get high and throw darts at a spinning wheel.

This is gibberish seemingly sourced from another poster.

From one of them:

Still, as a context-neutral stat, WAR is one of the best available to be used in evaluating players and player performance.

Criticism of WAR is good. As statisticians get better at measuring defensive value, the metric should improve.

But a lot of traditional statistics are terribly flawed. You don't not like WAR because it is flawed, you don't like it because you don't understand it and it doesn't confirm your existing biases.

ERA is a horrible metric. Yet we use it all the time to describe a pitcher's value or skill.

I love how rj just says stats that are agreed to be the best a measure we currently have are garbage and parlor games. Like thousands of people in the baseball community and people with advanced statistical degrees that have created and validated these things just made it up. It's basically the Trump argument to baseball statistics.

I gave multiple sources who agree that WAR has many problems. But that's OK, as long as I say something it must be wrong.

rj=mj, Trump never uses anyone but himself or a sycophant.

My bad, everyone who is a pro and agrees with me must be wrong.

Mike Trout is having the greatest season of all time and none of the dozens of seasons by multiple players can be considered. You must take the WAR guys without question.

rj=mj. It's you, MHB and your other brethren who are perfect Trumpites. You'll believe anything that agrees with you and challenging your lemming-like adherence qualifies you to be Trump Press Secretary. He's tired of Sarah Sanders anyway.

rj defs has the lowest PAR of any posters here. he's not only killing on a rate level but pure volume of shitposting as well.

the most interesting aspect of the comparison to me is the eras. bonds in expansion era when they literally added 60 replacement level players vs. trout in an era where there players from more countries than ever before. the effects there are super interesting to me and not sure how one could try to baseline it.

rj defs has the lowest PAR of any posters here. he's not only killing on a rate level but pure volume of shitposting as well.

You're so right a "stat" that is used widely and shows Trout was a detriment in the field for half his career should be taken seriously.

You're so right a guy who may not be having the best year of all players this year is definitely having the best year of All -Time.

You're so right a guy with a slash that is 150-200 points below others, projecting 50+ less runs and RBI in the season is having the greatest season of all time. Oh, it must be SBs, but wait a second SBs are stupid and don't lead to more runs.

Keeping marching like lemmings...

Or this:

keri-feature-relievers-2.png

Do you have stats showing the percentage of total pitches in a game exceeding 95 mph? With starters throwing fewer innings, my hypothesis is that they are topping out at 95 or above more frequently since they aren't expected to go more than 6 innings and don't worry about leaving something in the tank for the last third of the game. Relievers who seldom go more than an inning would fall into the same category.

Do you have stats showing the percentage of total pitches in a game exceeding 95 mph? With starters throwing fewer innings, my hypothesis is that they are topping out at 95 or above more frequently since they aren't expected to go more than 6 innings and don't worry about leaving something in the tank for the last third of the game. Relievers who seldom go more than an inning would fall into the same category.

I'm sure that data exists somewhere with pitchf/x. With the average fastball velocity going from 88-92, it would make sense that the % of pitches >95 would trend up as well. Which supports my argument that we are in a completely different environment for hitters.

The Red Sox are playing the Twins tonight, Biffster.

Back