• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NCAA National Tennis Championship Thread

Rubin beat Kokkinakis and plays Kyrgios next. Should be an entertaining match.

Noah Rubin plays Isner in second round of Washington DC tournament tomorrow night. Tentative time 830 PM. Should be on TV.

Noah breaks for the second game in a row. Serving for first set up 5-4.

Noah wins the first set and looks like he's gonna win this thing. Isner looks exhausted.

Noah wins 8-6 in the second set tiebreak to win the match. Huge win for him!

Got thumped by Rublev. Still a nice showing.

Can someone start a new tennis thread? 2018 Wake Tennis? They just announced 3 new members to this year's team.

Can someone start a new tennis thread? 2018 Wake Tennis? They just announced 3 new members to this year's team.

Efstathiou, from Cyprus, sounds like he'll play top 6. The other two are more likely practice players.

yes, please start a new thread. I am wondering what Deacons (including Noah) will receive wild cards to WS Open.

Does anyone know if Gojo is or is not returning?

After the national championships I would have guessed he was gone, and I still think that’s likely the case. However, he has been practicing at Wake over the summer and seems to be very close to the program, so it’s possible he might be back.

yes, please start a new thread. I am wondering what Deacons (including Noah) will receive wild cards to WS Open.

I'm hoping Noah will get a US Open wildcard, too. I think he's one of the highest ranked Americans who wouldn't automatically qualify.

Does Rubin have a shot at making the Davis Cup team in the next few years?

Rubin is currently #139 in the world at age 22. That is his career high. There are currently 14 US players ranked ahead of Rubin in the ATP World Rankings. 4 of those 14 are younger than Noah (Francis Tiafoe, Taylor Fritz, Jared Donaldson, Michael Mmoh). Also, there are always younger, faster, better players on the horizon.

Possible for Rubin at some point to receive Davis Cup consideration, but he has a lot of work to do.

I'm hoping Noah will get a US Open wildcard, too. I think he's one of the highest ranked Americans who wouldn't automatically qualify.

Didn't realize how timely my question was. Just announced that he did get a US Open WC.

Rubin has received several wild cards into majors:

- 2014 US Open (after his senior year in HS)
- 2016 Australian Open
- 2018 French Open
- This year's US Open.

The fact that he is from New York probably helps his WC chances in the US Open.

Back