• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 World Cup Thread - Fantasy Updated through Semis, BTB has three point lead

Personally I'm partial to the France - Germany Semi Final of the 1982 World Cup (or perhaps the Italy - Brazil game from the same WC). But this is a cool documentary with plenty of direct input from guys who were on the field by 442 on one of the greatest WC games ever played (England - Argentina 1998).

Speaking of 442, I didn't know that their US operation had folded until I read the Ringer article. Unfortunate byproduct of the USMNT failure

Everyone has paid so lets set the draft order for tomorrow.

Ice Ice Gylfi
Qatar I Hardly Know Her
Rolls Reus
Taegeuk Deacons
Boom Bust Cycle
Capt. Robert Hatch
I Quit Believing
Michelle Akers Adams Apple
A World Cup almost reached
HarryKane Season
Willian Dollar Baby
Avicii's Legacy
Ivory Toast

Does anyone else want to randomly draw these teams into a draft order? You know for transparency and all that.

Also, since there have been no objections I"ll go ahead and finalize the rules. But with 14 players instead of 16.

Ice Ice Gylfi
Qatar I Hardly Know Her
Rolls Reus
Taegeuk Deacons
Boom Bust Cycle
Capt. Robert Hatch
I Quit Believing
HarryKane Season
Willian Dollar Baby
Avicii's Legacy
Ivory Toast

Does anyone else want to randomly draw these teams into a draft order? You know for transparency and all that.

Also, since there have been no objections I"ll go ahead and finalize the rules. But with 14 players instead of 16.

Draft order randomly drawn

1 - Avicil's Legacy
2 - I Quit Believing
3 - Qatar I Hardly Knew Her
4 - Willian Dollar Baby
5 - Boom Bust Cycle
6 - Rols Reus
7 - Ivory Toast (best name btw)
8 - A World Cup Almost Reached
9 - Michell Akers Adams Apple
10 - Ice Ice Gylfi
11 - Capt. Robert Hatch
12 - Harry Kane Season
13 - Taegeuk Deacons

Given I'm not playing and do not know who is behind these teams that should be as good a random draw as you can get. Good luck.

Draft order randomly drawn

1 - Avicil's Legacy
2 - I Quit Believing
3 - Qatar I Hardly Knew Her
4 - Willian Dollar Baby
5 - Boom Bust Cycle
6 - Rols Reus
7 - Ivory Toast (best name btw)
8 - A World Cup Almost Reached
9 - Michell Akers Adams Apple
10 - Ice Ice Gylfi
11 - Capt. Robert Hatch
12 - Harry Kane Season
13 - Taegeuk Deacons

Given I'm not playing and do not know who is behind these teams that should be as good a random draw as you can get. Good luck.

And if you need a 14th team - I'll play. Name - Don't Cry For Me Colombia.

Send me $10 on Venmo or Paypal this morning along with a Google Sheets email address, and accept that you'll be the 14th pick (in a snake draft so 15th as well) and you're in.

Thanks for the order. Sorry Biff.

You rooting for Colombia? What do you think of their chances? Without the US and Chile, I'm rooting for Argentina and then Colombia.

I have family in Germany, but if they don't win I'd like to see Messi or Ronaldo finally get one.

Ice Ice Gylfi
Qatar I Hardly Know Her
Rolls Reus
Taegeuk Deacons
Boom Bust Cycle
Capt. Robert Hatch
I Quit Believing
HarryKane Season
Willian Dollar Baby
Avicii's Legacy
Ivory Toast

Is that 14 roster size? What will be the mandatory position requirements (4 DEF, 5 MID, etc)?

Is that 14 roster size? What will be the mandatory position requirements (4 DEF, 5 MID, etc)?

Earlier post...

Live snake draft
16 rounds
Must have at least 2 Goalkeepers, 4 defenders, 5 midfielders and 2 forwards
NO restriction on number of players from a country
Formations allowed: 5-3-2, 5-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 3-4-3

Right, I thought he was saying he wanted to reduce it to 14 rounds instead of 16, which I wasn't sure if it would alter those required positions a little.

My suggestion is to shrink the draft from 16 to 14. We only have a week to do it. Required positions can be:

2 GK
4 DEF
4 MID
2 FWD

Leaving two slots for whatever you want to do.

Or we can leave it 16. I'm cool with whatever.

My suggestion is to shrink the draft from 16 to 14. We only have a week to do it. Required positions can be:

2 GK
4 DEF
4 MID
2 FWD

Leaving two slots for whatever you want to do.

Or we can leave it 16. I'm cool with whatever.

Your call commish.

You rooting for Colombia? What do you think of their chances? Without the US and Chile, I'm rooting for Argentina and then Colombia.

Kids adopted from Colombia = rooting for Colombia. Frankly, this is a really deep team and they have a chance to beat anyone because they generally are well organized and can counter attack with the best of them. Arias, Mina, Sanchez, Fabra, Aguilar - they've got a solid core of guys in the DM and in the back. And then you've got Muriel, James, Cuadrado, etc. Good team. I just don't like the draw for them. I can see the quarters. But then it's Brazil (deeper and better) or Germany (bigger, deeper and better).

Argentina is tough to figure as they used an insane number of players during qualifying while going through three coaches to get there. Everyone is ragging on their defense and some of the selections baffle me given a coach who loves to push the pace. But they only gave up maybe 15 goals in qualifying. Will be interesting to see if he uses guys like Tagliafico and Ansaldi instead of slower guys like Rojos and Mercado. And he had to be picking Pavon and Meza for a reason because both those guys can flat out run. Lo Celso is an interesting player too in the middle. Certainly enough talent but not a lot of consistency in terms of who is in the team.

Send me $10 on Venmo or Paypal this morning along with a Google Sheets email address, and accept that you'll be the 14th pick (in a snake draft so 15th as well) and you're in.

Thanks for the order. Sorry Biff.

I'm out. Can't cut it with work tomorrow. Good luck to all. For fucks sake, pick some guys who aren't playing in Europe yet or aren't in the big leagues yet. There are a lot of really good players who will make their first marker in this tourney.

I'm out. Can't cut it with work tomorrow. Good luck to all. For fucks sake, pick some guys who aren't playing in Europe yet or aren't in the big leagues yet. There are a lot of really good players who will make their first marker in this tourney.

That was me last WC - loaded up on young south american guys ... did not go well b/c all the SA teams had shitty performances

Did we agree that if a manager is not available to draft at the appropriate time, that the group will draft the BPA at a position of need for him ?

Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Back