• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mass shooting thread - Santa Fe High School 05/18/18

There are at least three people in the hospital and it takes time to go through an entire school.

mdmh does now have the last two uses of "capitulate" on these here rjkarl boards, so maybe he's just trying to corner the market on awkwardly applied SAT-level vocabulary
More concise than saying "did what you asked". I'm not a mod, but if they wanted to merge my thread with the gun violence thread I would be fine with it. Thats a silly thing to get hung up, considering the topic, but whatever.

Hey Australia had a big shooting the other day. First since their ban -- see? gun laws don't work !

Just because the topic is serious doesn't mean I can't have a meta-discussion about board policy. There's a separate politics board for a reason.

Multiple confirmations of 10 fatalities now. Shit. The event has been over long enough now that it's no use in posting speculation.

Maybe at one point 8 people have died. Then another person died. Then another person died. And guess what? More people may be injured and die. This is breaking news. It changes.

Hey Australia had a big shooting the other day. First since their ban -- see? gun laws don't work !

Wasn't Port Arthur like 20 years ago? One mass shooting every 20 years actually sounds pretty good, though I get you were being sarcastic.

But my question is why is this thread worthy? We have school shootings every few days. Do we really need multiple threads on page 1 about guns?

Some of these media interviews with students are gross, seems very unethical and fucked up to stick a camera in a crying kids face after they just escaped a massacre.

Impossible - I was told that giving out guns like candy to school personnel would take care of this problem. Seriously, this is insane. I can't imagine what the students, faculty, staff, and parents are going through.

Are there really people that think there would be fewer homicides without guns? Bc that's what I gather from anyone who claims "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

School Shooting in TX

Wasn't Port Arthur like 20 years ago? One mass shooting every 20 years actually sounds pretty good, though I get you were being sarcastic.

But my question is why is this thread worthy? We have school shootings every few days. Do we really need multiple threads on page 1 about guns?

We don’t. We just have idiots who like to start new threads whenever something happens. I really don’t understand it.

Last edited:
i hadn't heard about the recent Australian shooting so I googled it. looks like a domestic murder/suicide situation. No info on what kind of gun was used. Plenty of types of guns are still legal in Australia so gun-related domestic violence is not really surprising.

Are there really people that think there would be fewer homicides without guns? Bc that's what I gather from anyone who claims "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

You don't think there would be fewer homicides without guns or with fewer guns?

here are a few numbers about deaths with guns vs. no guns in domestic violence cases:

"Firearms were used to kill more than two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse homicide victims between 1990 and 2005.2

Domestic violence assaults involving a firearm are 12 times more likely to result in death than those involving other weapons or bodily force.3

Abused women are five times more likely to be killed by their abuser if the abuser owns a firearm."

In country after country where guns are more difficult to get their homicide rates are far lower than ours.

Back