• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mass shooting thread - Santa Fe High School 05/18/18

Still wondering why people who need guns to stop an authoritarian government belief more government presence is going to stop people with guns.

At Santa Fe High School, my daughter phoned: 'I'm hiding in a closet. I love you, Mom.'

I assure her that she did everything right and try to get her to go inside. There are only Kam and my mom waiting inside; but, she is too overwhelmed to even see anyone. She hugs her grandma, decides to change her clothes, and heads upstairs almost immediately.

As we're sitting upstairs, she's clearly in shock looking around the room blankly until she glances down. She looks at me and says...this is my favorite outfit and now there's blood on it and burst into tears.

The gunman then comes back into their room and they hear him saying, Are you dead? Then more shots are fired.

By this time, cell phones all over the classroom are ringing and he's taunting the kids in the closet asking them....Do you think it's for you? Do you want to come answer it?

Then he proceeds to fire more bullets into the closet and tries to get in.

She calls the police again and they tell her they are headed towards their classroom. After another five to ten minutes, the police arrive outside the classroom. By this time, she has been laying on the floor for over 30 min next to her deceased classmates.

Still wondering why people who need guns to stop an authoritarian government belief more government presence is going to stop people with guns.

Because the police are good and don't count*.

*FBI excluded.

My sympathy to that mom and her family, but that need to rush to facebook to pour out feelings is a fucking weird facet of modern life that I find irritating

My sympathy to that mom and her family, but that need to rush to facebook to pour out feelings is a fucking weird facet of modern life that I find irritating

Dude you post about your kid on these boards to people you don’t even know in real life. Stop being self righteous.

That’s the point, I don’t know any of you. Take it easy, ph. I know you love your Facebook. If find it interesting that, with you being a sociologist, I can’t recall you ever being critical of Facebook. You defend it at every turn, and it is a major shift in human social interaction that certainly can’t be all positive.

I sympathize with her situation shorty, but it has been barely 36 hours and that post was just odd to me.

I love how Trumpites claim to "tell it like it is", and love Trump partly for that reason, yet they deflect from discussing gun control every time something like this happens, usually starting with the "thoughts and prayers" cliche. If they were really honest, they'd post something like "we're really sorry to all the parents and students who lost children and friends and classmates in this terrible shooting, but please know that the sacrifice of your loved ones is necessary so that our supporters can cling to their guns, and we can continue to rake in that NRA money. We must not place any restrictions on the sacred Second Amendment, and everyone, from your local pot-bellied rednecks to 18 and 19 year olds, has the right to own AR-15s. The death of your loved ones is but a small price to pay for this great honor of everyone being able to own military-grade sniper's rifles and display them on social media. Amen."

Ok fine, maybe it’s not time to start talking about Santa Fe. But is it time to talk about Parkland?

Ok fine, maybe it’s not time to start talking about Santa Fe. But is it time to talk about Parkland?

No. And please stop politicizing this.

At least we now have Ollie North coming to the rescue to provide sanity to the discussion. Someone needs to start looking into these violent video games and rampant ritalin prescriptions.

That’s the point, I don’t know any of you. Take it easy, ph. I know you love your Facebook. If find it interesting that, with you being a sociologist, I can’t recall you ever being critical of Facebook. You defend it at every turn, and it is a major shift in human social interaction that certainly can’t be all positive.

I sympathize with her situation shorty, but it has been barely 36 hours and that post was just odd to me.

wonder what ph loves more - facebook, disney or comic book movies

This is one that probably could not have been stopped by any gun control laws that are likely to be passed in the US. Weapons were apparently a shotgun and a revolver, and there were few if any warning signs. That said, it probably would have been much worse if the guy had an AR-15. For example, he tried to shoot through a closet door to kill more kids, with a high powered rifle he might have succeeded.

to me this one may be an argument for more funding for social workers, counselors, and school psychologists.

I still maintain that metal detectors at entrances are not a bad thing. We go through them for everything else, why not at schools? Even if its just until the old redneck guard dies out and we can finally implement intelligent gun control measures once Goober and Rusty don't force us all to endure this shit so they can plink cans on crystal meth in rural Tennessee...

This is one that probably could not have been stopped by any gun control laws that are likely to be passed in the US. Weapons were apparently a shotgun and a revolver, and there were few if any warning signs. That said, it probably would have been much worse if the guy had an AR-15. For example, he tried to shoot through a closet door to kill more kids, with a high powered rifle he might have succeeded.

The biggest thing it shows me is that even with armed security, the shooter with "less destructive" firearms and still kill 10 people before he's stopped.

to me this one may be an argument for more funding for social workers, counselors, and school psychologists.

Also for adding liability laws - if you don't lock your guns up, you get charged with accessory to murder.

Too many gun owners think they keep their families safe by having quick access to guns rather than keeping them locked up.

Back