• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

Surprised that picture today hasn't been discussed yet. That seems like something that could move the needle in this issue

Family Separation at the Border: UN & Laura Bush condemn policy

No. Illegal immigration isn’t really an issue. The facts don’t bare it out and immigration is a basic way to address an aging population. It’s only an issue in that we need to fix our immigration system and streamline the processes by which we can get hard working people into this country.

Also no. That picture won’t move the needle. Anybody who doesn’t care about immigrants isn’t going to suddenly care because they see a dead farther and daughter.

Last edited:
No. Illegal immigration isn’t really an issue. The facts don’t bare it out and immigration is a basic way to address an aging population. It’s only an issue in that we need to fix our immigration system and streamline the processes by which we can get hard working people into this country.

Also no. That picture won’t move the needle. Anybody who doesn’t care about immigrants isn’t going to suddenly care because they see a dead farther and daughter.

I remember reading a couple of articles several years ago that pointed out the need for more immigrants to help take care of our aging population - basically, as our population ages we will need more and more nursing and rest home staffs, in-home help for the elderly, etc. And immigrants could provide much of the man (and woman) power to do that, among many other helpful and necessary things immigrants already do in the USA. It's already happening in many rural areas with older populations.

https://apple.news/Anm3fTW4vTYKw3zRYbFJd1Q

I don’t appreciate the republicans argument that, “sure, the Senate bill doesn’t do enough but let’s just do that to get it done. “ Bullshit. That is just an excuse to say they passed the bill and move on. The remaining needs will receive less attention and be ignored by pubs. Vote on the bill that does enough. Nothing is going to be perfect but if republicans, themselves, are acknowledging it doesn’t do enough, then do enough.

Things are so bad that Highlights magazine has taken a stand to remind us that we elected Goofus as our President.

Pelosi talking about how passing funding so we might treat refugee children with the slightest degree of dignity as "exciting" is amazing. This isn't a new amusement park you're opening. It's not exciting. It's basic human rights and it's appalling it isn't already happening. Don't celebrate this.

This may have been answered already but had the family separation policy (which yes is different than Obama’s) even worked? It was supposed to be a deterrent. Are the asylum or crossing attempts lower that year’s past? Or is this more double down on bad policy by trump and his “pro family” sycophants?

No it hasn't worked.

This may have been answered already but had the family separation policy (which yes is different than Obama’s) even worked? It was supposed to be a deterrent. Are the asylum or crossing attempts lower that year’s past? Or is this more double down on bad policy by trump and his “pro family” sycophants?

He is "pro family"...pro WHITE family...

From everything I’ve read, it’s creating a rush to cross the border so crossings are actually up.

And here are the words straight from the mouth of an ICE agent.

President Obama was never popular among ice’s rank and file, but the detailed list of enforcement priorities he instituted, in 2014, which many in the agency initially resented as micromanagement, now seemed more sensible—and even preferable to the current state of affairs. The ice officer said, “One person told me, ‘I never thought I’d say this, but I miss the Obama rules. We removed more people with the rules we had in place than with all this. It was much easier when we had the priorities. It was cleaner.’ ” Since the creation of ice, in 2003, enforcement was premised on the idea that officers would primarily go after criminals for deportation; Trump, who views ice as a political tool to showcase his toughness, has abandoned that framework entirely. “I don’t even know what we’re doing now,” the officer said. “A lot of us see the photos of the kids at the border, and we’re wondering, ‘What the hell is going on?’ ” The influx of Central American migrants, the officer noted, has been an issue for more than a decade now, spanning three Presidential administrations. “No one built up the infrastructure to handle this, and now people are suffering at the border for it. They keep saying they were caught flat footed. That’s a bald-faced fucking lie.”

I'm have very mixed feelings about this. It gets funding to crucial programs and care for the kids done before the July 4th recess, which is important. It also has a chance that the president will actually sign it, which is a plus.

No bill was going to pass without funding CPD (necessary) and ICE (not necessary), but this one passed without any restrictions, regulations, or guidelines concerning the care of children, and without limits on the duration of custody (since this administration is just going to pretend the Flores agreement - along with much of our immigration law - doesn't exist).

I knew the need for pragmatic legislation that could be quickly passed, but I though the house could have traded CPD/ICE funding for increased oversight.

The vote is both a sigh of relief for many necessary programs/care who were being starved of funding and very disappointing at the same time.

What are the programs/care that were funded that were desperately needed? I'm pretty much against any funding to CBP and ICE at this point. What was funded outside of those agencies?

What are the programs/care that were funded that were desperately needed? I'm pretty much against any funding to CBP and ICE at this point. What was funded outside of those agencies?

Just to name a few:

HHS/ORR will be funded which is charged with the care of minors,
funds that pays for case workers and healthcare workers who check in on minors that were placed with family members or in facilities (not CPD detention) that are designed for the care of children.
Social workers to work on the reunification of minors with family.
All RSS federal funds that are passed through state governments that fund refugee and asylee programs that help with housing and employment
Culturally appropriate and English language learning after school programs
Programs that help 1st generation immigrants navigate the end of high school and ready them for college or vocational school
Emergency assistance for those that are enrolled in work programs that need help with medical or housing expenses
Some immigration legal services that work on family reunification
ORR funds almost the entire infrastructure of refugee resettlement past the initial 90 day reception and placement period
Trauma-informed mental health services for refugees and asylees

How do we know the money will be used for those?

Back