• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

The cruelty is the point.

Unfortunately you are correct. Another example below.

Migrants say police in Mexico opened fire on their truck, killing a 19-year-old woman

MEXICO CITY — Mexican authorities are investigating reports that police opened fire on a group of migrants from El Salvador last week, killing a 19-year-old woman and wounding two men.

The confrontation in the Gulf Coast state of Veracruz on Friday comes as Mexico expands immigration enforcement at the behest of the United States, creating new checkpoints and deploying thousands of national guardsmen across the country. Human rights advocates have expressed concern that those actions could lead to violence against migrants.

Reports of the shooting have circulated in local media for days. On Tuesday, the attorney general of Veracruz held a news conference to relate the accounts of the survivors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8c291ab5c38_story.html?utm_term=.41d01a87a3b1

Fascinating how Sailor is focused on Hilary, Angus on some tiny mistake by the press, and Junebug popping in on the scotus thread the chide PH, yet none of these conservatives ever comment on the abhorrent actions like this of the admin. And there are countless examples of cruelty. So principled !

At least Catamount changes his stance to pro choice now.

Shame on anyone who supports this admin’s treatment of immigrants. Absolutely shameful.

That’s the same lawyer that claimed she couldn’t attend an emergency immigration hearing because of a dog sitting conflict.

That’s because board conservatives only show up here to “own the libs.” They can’t own the fruits of conservatism like people who are legally seeking asylum being placed into concentration camps.

That’s because board conservatives only show up here to “own the libs.” They can’t own the fruits of conservatism like people who are legally seeking asylum being placed into concentration camps.

Right. It’s all they got now really. Law and order has been thrown out the window with free trade, fiscal responsibility, respect for the Office, family values, human rights issues, etc. A deal with the devil to get a couple SCOTUS judges and stack the lower courts. Power for a minority party while owning the libs seems to be all that matters to them.

Lawyers claim infants, children are in dangerous situation at border detention site

A legal team that recently interviewed over 60 children at a Border Patrol station in Texas says a traumatic and dangerous situation is unfolding for some 250 infants, children and teens locked up for up to 27 days without adequate food, water and sanitation.

A team of attorneys who recently visited the facility near El Paso told The Associated Press that three girls, ages 10 to 15, said they had been taking turns keeping watch over a sick 2-year-old boy because there was no one else to look after him.

When the lawyers saw the 2-year-old boy, he wasn't wearing a diaper and had wet his pants, and his shirt was smeared in mucus. They said at least 15 children at the facility had the flu, and some were kept in medical quarantine. Children told lawyers that they were fed uncooked frozen food or rice and had gone weeks without bathing or a clean change of clothes at the facility in Clint, in the desert scrubland some 25 miles southeast of El Paso.

Good job, Republicans! It's OK to treat people like this. Republicans are the only real Americans who deserve anything. Everyone else is the enemy who should be destroyed.

Good job, Republicans! It's OK to treat people like this. Republicans are the only real Americans who deserve anything. Everyone else is the enemy who should be destroyed.

I'm sure that Trumpite lady in Florida who complained that Trump wasn't hurting "the right people" enough is now very happy and satisfied.

Relevant here and in other threads.

A close family member votes Republican. Now I understand why. The core isn't bigotry. It's worse.
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2019...erstand-why-The-core-isn-t-bigotry-It-s-worse

——-
After she had spent about an hour complaining about a situation that she was stuck in, and I held back pointing out all of the parallels in which she’s putting other people, including me, in that same situation, I eventually couldn’t keep quiet about it anymore. In the later part of a conversation, I eventually asked (with a manner that was entirely curious and not at all aggressive or frustrated, which I think was important):

“If you knew someone else at work was in the exact situation that you’re in, and you weren’t in this situation, would you feel like you had to do something about it? Someone you don’t really know on a personal level, but whose situation you knew all the details of?”

Her answer was “No, because it wouldn’t directly affect me.”

I responded, “I wouldn’t be able to let that go. I’d have to do something about it.”

She was blown away. Bewildered. Her mind couldn’t make sense of what she’d heard, much less what it might mean about reality.

Then I filled in some of the blanks by saying, “That’s how everything is for me. It doesn’t stop affecting me, eating away at me. It doesn’t matter if it directly affects me or not.”

That thought had never occurred to her. After a few moments of wide-eyed, stunned comments, she said “You must feel so much..” — and she couldn’t put a word to it.

I finished the sentence, “Responsibility. I feel responsible to try to stop bad things from happening to people.”

She was, again, stunned.

After a few more elucidating exchanges, she said, “The only things that eat at me are things I need to do to keep things in order around me. Like cleaning, work responsibilities, and appointments being set. Things around the house. Daily stuff.”

I don’t think this is the difference between Democrats and Republicans. I used to vote Republican, and I’m sure that many Democrats are like her, but just surrounded by different social norms than the horrible place that I live in.

But this does explain why so many Repugnant voters are so comfortable with horrible things, which they acknowledge are horrible, happening. Why they don’t try to change things for the better, and why they accept horrible things coming from a person or thing that they think directly benefits themselves personally (like a politician, preacher, family member, or friend).

The scope of their world of thought and of care, of responsibility, is tiny.

After all, she does things that constantly make my life harder in order to make hers easier, without even thinking beforehand about how it affects me, or having much remorse after the fact. And she’s the family member I see almost every day.

And she sees nothing wrong with how she thinks and feels. In fact, she said, “Don’t you think that’s a bad thing? That you feel so strongly about those things?”

———

One last note, about the bigotry: When I saw myself as a Republican, I was drowning in anti-gay, anti-non-Christian, anti-non-white bullshit, but it was usually subtle — more of a flavor added to most of the food, rather than a dish in and of itself. I didn’t listen to Rush Limbaugh or watch Fox. The messages still flooded my existence. I felt disgust at people who were gay or black. I felt that anyone who was black was out to do me harm. My mental image of a black person was “violent thief” — and that was without anyone explicitly shouting that kind of bullshit bigotry from a preacher’s podium. And that bigotry survived through a family member marrying a black woman.

And it’s important to say that I didn’t think that I was a bigot. After I came out of all of that, I used to think that the reason I didn’t think I was a bigot was because I was logically convinced, due to my terrible sources of information, that I was on the right side of things, and because I didn’t harbor any personal animosity toward anyone I stood against just because they were gay, black, or (inset aspect). I felt that my opposition was totally disconnected from an emotive stance against them as people, and I didn’t feel that my conclusions were incorrect. Someone calling me a bigot seemed like an attempt to say that what I wanted was driven either by deep hatred or by being wrong about what was true — as so far as I could tell I wasn’t full of hatred or wrong. And so, it seemed like slander. Most white people and trump supporters say the same things today.

But now, looking back, I can see that I didn’t think I was a bigot because I didn’t feel that I was a bigot, and that the real reason I didn’t feel that I was a bigot was because I still cared about people even when I was opposed to them — even when my opposition was causing them pain. It was a very twisted “I hurt you because I love you”-parent, condescending, belittling, minimizing, horrible way to be, to justify myself, and to hurt other people without feeling much pain while doing so. It helped to deaden the entanglement I felt with their suffering.

And for people who don’t have that feeling of entanglement with other people’s suffering, I can easily see them feeling that they aren’t bigots simply because they don’t feel that they care much about how other people feel: in regard to hurting them or helping them. “Hate” and “bigotry” in their minds, might be solely associated with deep personal loathing — not the consequences of their actions, or the things that they believe or say. If “bigotry” means an internal feeling to them, then they don’t believe that they are bigots. Well, except for the ones who do, and who relish it.

Trump administration still separating hundreds of migrant children at the border through often questionable claims of danger

The 4-year-old sat in the defendant’s chair in front of a Michigan immigration judge last month, her chubby legs dangling inches from the floor. She chatted with the jurist through an interpreter about Rapunzel. Then, as she had practiced with her lawyer, she said she wanted to be with her father, who was 1,600 miles away in a Laredo federal detention center and about to be deported to El Salvador.

Father and daughter had not seen each other since March, when federal immigration agents took Briana after detaining them together for about eight days in an overcrowded Border Patrol processing center in McAllen. The agents told 23-year-old Wilber Castillo that his child would go to a cousin in California, but when he desperately called the relative, Briana wasn’t there. No one could tell him where she was.

It wasn’t until weeks later that Castillo discovered his daughter was with foster parents in Michigan — a state he had never heard of — and could arrange to speak to her by phone. By then, the young father had been imprisoned for about 25 days in a Border Patrol facility without any formal charges, according to testimony in federal court. The facts of the case enraged the McAllen district judge overseeing Castillo’s punishment for crossing illegally into Texas after having been deported five years ago, when he was 18.

A 19-year-old Salvadoran woman who asked to be identified only as Maria had been abused by adult gang members since she was a young teen, said Koop, her attorney. She was with one of these men when he started a gang fight and Salvadoran police detained them. Maria was released after a few days and never charged with a crime, and the Salvadoran government confirmed she has no criminal record.

But the interaction was enough for U.S. border agents to imprison her and take away her 2-year-old son when she crossed near Laredo in February. She was released five months later and reunified with him in Virginia in June.

“She is really traumatized,” Koop said. “The reunification was really hard. Her son didn’t seem to recognize her.”

Back