• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

We need to pass that law before children start dying of heatstroke. That might be too far even for some Republicans.

Stop letting them try to change the narrative.

According to an immigration expert, last year, there were 303,000 asylum crossings along our southern border with only 46 challenged as potentially being fraudulent. Trump is telling another lie.

Can this possibly be so? 303,000 asylum crossings into our country in one year?

Do you support open borders, RJ? How about the rest of you libs on these boards? Do you think that 300K people should be able to just walk into the country every year for any reason?

And why do Democrats have such a problem with expecting people to obey the law? And/or making excuses for them when they do not obey the law?

Last edited:
Our birth rate isn't replacing the population fast enough, we need to take in far more than 300k/yr to bolster the workforce and keep the economy booming.

We need to pass that law before children start dying of heatstroke. That might be too far even for some Republicans.

If children dying of heatstroke was too far for Republicans, they would have spoken up before the administration build a tent city for children in 98 degree heat. Even Republicans know heat can lead to heatstroke.

Our birth rate isn't replacing the population fast enough, we need to take in far more than 300k/yr to bolster the workforce and keep the economy booming.

On the flip side this affects the supply of workers and serves to depress wages of those already here.

Do you support open borders, RJ? How about the rest of you libs on these boards? Do you think that 300K people should be able to just walk into the country every year for any reason?

And why do Democrats have such a problem with expecting people to obey the law? And/or making excuses for them when they do not obey the law?

Even if 300,000 assylum cases was too excessive, how does the policy of separating children form their parents solve that problem?

As to you second point, from what I've read, these are not, in fact, illegal entries; they are, by definition, asylum seekers which, if they follow the correct procedure, is a legal form of entry. The grounds, validity or need for asylum are determined thereafter.

Even if 300,000 assylum cases was too excessive, how does the policy of separating children form their parents solve that problem?

As to you second point, from what I've read, these are not, in fact, illegal entries; they are, by definition, asylum seekers which, if they follow the correct procedure, is a legal form of entry. The grounds, validity or need for asylum are determined thereafter.

I'm assuming, then, that you support an open border policy. Does this country have an official policy, approved by congress, whereby anyone can just show up at the border, claim they are seeking asylum from whatever entity for whatever reason....and walk into the country?

I don't think such as policy exists, but if it does it certainly needs to be revisited. A country that has no control over its borders is in deep trouble.

I understand why Democrats support an open border policy, of course. It is vital to their continued existence as a viable political party in this country.

I'm assuming, then, that you support an open border policy. Does this country have an official policy, approved by congress, whereby anyone can just show up at the border, claim they are seeking asylum from whatever entity for whatever reason....and walk into the country?

I don't think such as policy exists, but if it does it certainly needs to be revisited. A country that has no control over its borders is in deep trouble.

I understand why Democrats support an open border policy, of course. It is vital to their continued existence as a viable political party in this country.

I'm assuming, then, that you're being intentionally obtuse and, despite your username change, you still have no interest in actual discussion.

Just because I don't believe in the evil, Draconian, amoral policy of ripping infants from their parents doesn't mean I believe in open borders. Thus, your next question is moot.

Trump has unilaterally changed the parental policy as well as the policy of every POTUS since Reagan about granting amnesty to those who come to our country with legitimate claims of asylum for violence in their homelands and spousal/family violence.

Supporting Trump's policy, it is 100% his and Sessions' policy, to separate every child from parents who are legally asserting claims of asylum shows a total lack of empathy, a lack of humanity and a willingness to create more hatred of America.

BTW, there is a LAW not a policy that anyone can show up at the border ports of entry, present themselves as an asylum seeker and then be investigated to see if they qualify to enter.

Last edited:
Watching Kirstjen Nielsen's press conference, apparently the children are all future MS-13 members. (Seriously, she's mentioned MS-13 twice. In a press conference in response to her agency's treatment of children.)

Didn't hit post right away, the MS-13 / gang mention is up to four or five.

I don't see how this press conference will change the minds of anyone not already on their side. The way she kept saying that this will stop when Congress passes a law certainly made it seem like they're holding the kids hostage to get Trump's immigration priorities passed.

Also, it barely needs to be said about anyone from this administration at this point, but she lied a lot.

Watching Kirstjen Nielsen's press conference, apparently the children are all future MS-13 members. (Seriously, she's mentioned MS-13 twice. In a press conference in response to her agency's treatment of children.)

Didn't hit post right away, the MS-13 / gang mention is up to four or five.

I don't see how this press conference will change the minds of anyone not already on their side. The way she kept saying that this will stop when Congress passes a law certainly made it seem like they're holding the kids hostage to get Trump's immigration priorities passed.

Also, it barely needs to be said about anyone from this administration at this point, but she lied a lot.

These policies, if continued, will likely create more MS-13, Zetas and La Eme gangbangers.

She showed as little empathy and humanity as her boss does. She exudes evil.

Why aren’t they going after MS-13? I imagine if they really arrested MS-13 gang members, they would hype the hell out of it. So I assume they haven’t.

Just because I don't believe in the evil, Draconian, amoral policy of ripping infants from their parents doesn't mean I believe in open borders. Thus, your next question is moot.

Trump has unilaterally changed the parental policy as well as the policy of every POTUS since Reagan about granting amnesty to those who come to our country with legitimate claims of asylum for violence in their homelands and spousal/family violence.

Supporting Trump's policy, it is 100% his and Sessions' policy, to separate every child from parents who are legally asserting claims of asylum shows a total lack of empathy, a lack of humanity and a willingness to create more hatred of America.

Allowing 300,000 people into this country every year for self-proclaimed asylum reasons amounts to open borders.

(It's still hard for me to believe that this is actually happening. If these numbers are accurate, though, that makes it that much easier to understand Trump's win two years ago. The people who are paying for all the Democrats' giveaway programs....the money of which comes from taking it away from one group of people that may not support the Democratic Party and giving it to other groups of people with the expectations that they will support the Democratic Party....have gotten completely fed up. That's how Trump won and Hillary lost an election that should have been impossible to lose. And that election came just in the nick of time. If Hillary & the Democrats had won, the country would most likely have gone past the point of any return. We were already perilously close to the brink. If Hillary & the Democrats had four years to buy some more votes, we would have had more people riding in the cart than we had paying to pull it. Then they could have just kept voting themselves more free stuff. Many posters on these boards don't appreciate this fact because they haven't yet reached the point in life where they have to pay for the Democrats' programs that they are supporting. When that day finally arrives, you will see many of them wondering how the hell they could have ever taken those positions. I know. I've walked in their shoes.)

First of all. presenting oneself for asylum doesn't mean all are granted entry. Next, even if it was that large a number it would equate to 1/10 of 1% of our population with many of them being children.

So, in your world, following the letter of the law is equal to open borders.

Got it!

The numbers are off.

The highest number of asylum cases was in FY16 and was just over 92,000

Last year (FY17, Oct 2016-Sept 2017) the number fell to just under 80k, with just over 60,500 of those cases found to have a credible fear.

Driving to DC now and my phone's about to die, can update some more (and give precise numbers) and speak to some of these things later tonight.

Why aren’t they going after MS-13? I imagine if they really arrested MS-13 gang members, they would hype the hell out of it. So I assume they haven’t.

I'm sure they'd love to, but if there were that many of them in the country they wouldn't have to use pics from El Salvador in their fear-mongering campaign ads.

Bob would be disappointed to find out immigrants become naturalized citizens on a regular basis.

Back