• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

Wrangor said he has those arguments with his friends, so I referenced his friends.

I'm curious what other explanation Wrangor thinks there could be.

It could be that they're worried potential incoming Hispanic voters would be too smart to reliably vote against their own self-interests the way that low-income whites currently do?

Nielsen is drafting an order to stop separation, which is weird because I thought only congress could fix it. I guess that goes out the window when poll numbers come back.

Smells like Nielsen not wanting to go down in history as the person responsible for this order. Doing it this way puts public pressure on Trump to either reject her order, making him own it completely, or sign off on it and end the policy.

It could be that they're worried potential incoming Hispanic voters would be too smart to reliably vote against their own self-interests the way that low-income whites currently do?

Actually, there is definitive proof of Hispanic voters remembering who implemented laws against them and their families and voting against them for decades. In CA, GOP Gov. Pete Wilson got Prop 187 passed which dramatically impacted US citizens of Hispanic origin and non-documented people. At the time of the Proposition, the Hispanic vote was truly a swing vote in CA and could determine many elections.

Since Prop 187, the Hispanic vote in CA has moved hugely to the Dems. It's not a secret why.

Trump suckered a lot of Hispanic voters in 2016. I seriously doubt it will happen again in 2020.

Smells like Nielsen not wanting to go down in history as the person responsible for this order. Doing it this way puts public pressure on Trump to either reject her order, making him own it completely, or sign off on it and end the policy.

"Congress alone can fix it."
Kirstjen Nielsen -June 18,2018

Wrangor, it seems like a valid hypothesis, especially given the things the current GOP president has publicly and reportedly said about Latino immigrants. He's called them "animals," said that they are "rapists and murders and some, I'm sure, are good people" and he has referred to their countries as "shit-holes". I accept the notion that not all republicans feel that way, but this is the guy that the GOP nominated and then elected to the presidency, some substantial portion of the party feels that way. Ph's reference to "your friends" was a bit presumptive, but the comments are a valid hypothesis with respect to the GOP as a whole.

Very good post.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a type/form of racist. I quickly judge and have negative thoughts about low-income, rural white people...and even more so if they are self-identified Evangelicals. I find myself fighting the urge to stereotype them all. I also find that I do it so easily and subconsciously. Maybe some Repubs/Wrangor's friends do the same thing about Hispanic folks...

Very good post.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a type/form of racist. I quickly judge and have negative thoughts about low-income, rural white people...and even more so if they are self-identified Evangelicals. I find myself fighting the urge to stereotype them all. I also find that I do it so easily and subconsciously. Maybe some Repubs/Wrangor's friends do the same thing about Hispanic folks...

We all have our biases.

Although a little off topic for this thread, I think Democrats and social justice warriors would have a better chance of getting their message across if they used the word "biased" more than the word "racist". When you say "you're a racist" it's too easy for people to react with "I'm not in the KKK, I'm not a racist!" The term is so loaded it shuts down discussion. It's a lot easier to talk about how everyone, even a good God-fearing generous nice person, has their own biases. When we talk about it in that way it can actually get people to think about their biases and maybe introspect a little about how biases might affect other people.

Of course there is a certain portion of the population that is perfectly happy with their "biases" and believes that their own personal biases are factual and should be acted upon by the government. One such person is Donald J. Trump. At that point, you're a racist and should be called out as such, because you're not going to be persuaded otherwise.

Agreed. That's one reason why Republicans like to saturate discourse with the term.

We all have our biases.

Although a little off topic for this thread, I think Democrats and social justice warriors would have a better chance of getting their message across if they used the word "biased" more than the word "racist". When you say "you're a racist" it's too easy for people to react with "I'm not in the KKK, I'm not a racist!" The term is so loaded it shuts down discussion. It's a lot easier to talk about how everyone, even a good God-fearing generous nice person, has their own biases. When we talk about it in that way it can actually get people to think about their biases and maybe introspect a little about how biases might affect other people.

Of course there is a certain portion of the population that is perfectly happy with their "biases" and believes that their own personal biases are factual and should be acted upon by the government. One such person is Donald J. Trump. At that point, you're a racist and should be called out as such, because you're not going to be persuaded otherwise.
Well yeah that’s obvious based on the board liberals bigoted views on Christianity and working class white people. At least Coach O has the balls to admit it.

Last edited:
Well yeah that obvious based on the board liberals bigoted views on Christianity and working class white people. At least Coach O has the balls to admit it.

Specifically, who on the board is bigoted against Christianity? Who on the board is bigoted against working class white people?

When you make statements like the one above be specific.

Politico is now reporting that Trump is expected to sign the executive order.

Again, the polling on this must be atrocious.

I like that they are making it an executive action, rather than just reversing policy. Gotta give Trump's ego an out.

Specifically, who on the board is bigoted against Christianity? Who on the board is bigoted against working class white people?

Every poster under the age of 35?

OMG, this post is.... OMG.

Liberal logic, if you disagree with someone then it’s ok to make absolutely blantently racist and unprovoked comments.

First point: Mayonnaise ass monster is a quality insult

Second point: I guess this thing boils down to are we ok with racist attitudes towards white people? I don't really care one way or another, but it could set a less than pleasant president.

Third point: I am sure Mr. Wolfe is the man at parties.

It was racist and i am still pissed.

Yes there is, one is the correct way to make a derogatory, racist, and completely inappropriate comment. The other is an attempt to make a derogatory, racist comment while being to dumb to use the actual right word. My money is on he said shithouses biggly.

Just to be clear your joking right? Or is saying a spade is a spade racist now or something?

Yeah I agree with this, but anyone can make an argument that any aspect of culture is based in or has racist ties. Then they can use that argument to munipate and control other people’s behaviors. At what point is the line drawn where someone says ok guys that’s a little rediculius, I appreciate your feelings but I’m going to keep this classes curriculum.

I for one am shocked that two of the top three least racist states are composed of 1% and 2% African American populations

So are we going to ignore hard facts like 85 percent of Asians are born in 2 parent households vs 20% of African Americans. Or that Asians place such a large focus on education that they are the highest educated racial demographic in America? But it feels like racism is the reason for the differences between racial groups. Even though just using these boards as a microcosm, highly racist jokes against Asian Americans are accepted and perpetuated. The equivalent jokes about African Americans would leave users facing permanent bans.

I am bigoted against Christianity, religion in general actually.

Well yeah that obvious based on the board liberals bigoted views on Christianity and working class white people. At least Coach O has the balls to admit it.

huh? good lord, man. I haven't seen anyone on this board with "bigoted views on Christianity and working class white people." I think you need to look up "bigot" and get back to us.

I am bigoted against Christianity, religion in general actually.

I disagree.

I think you are tolerant of religion, but when it is foisted upon you to sway legislation and the affirmation of secular rights, you resist. As you should. As the fucking founding fathers did.

Back