• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

Well of course not, you don’t want to talk about racism if you’re the fucking racist.

Specifically, who on the board is bigoted against Christianity? Who on the board is bigoted against working class white people?

When you make statements like the one above be specific.

I found this relatively long read to be a good read the other day from 2 years ago

Author Thomas Frank Talks Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and His New Book, ‘Listen Liberal’

He says Democrats are paying too much attention to Ivy Leaguers and not enough to the working class.

https://billmoyers.com/story/author...rnie-sanders-and-his-new-book-listen-liberal/

You tell me.

A sort of blue-collar way of life. It’s the America that I remember from 20, 30, 40 years ago. An America where ordinary people without college degrees were able to have a middle class standard of living. Which was — this is hard for people to believe today — that was common when I was young. It makes me feel like an old person to say that. It makes me feel like my dad. But that was common when I was a child. Today that’s disappeared. It’s disappearing or it has disappeared. And we’ve managed to convince ourselves that the reason it’s disappeared is because — on strictly meritocratic grounds, using the logic of professionalism — that people who didn’t go to college don’t have any right to a middle-class standard of living. They aren’t educated enough. You have to be educated if you want a middle-class standard of living.

What do you think caused that disappearance of that way of life you talked about and is it possible to get it back in your view?

When I look at the problem of inequality, I see a number of causes but one of them is that workers don’t have as much power over conditions of employment as they used to. And there have been so many different mechanisms brought into play in order to take their power away. One is the decline of organized labor. It’s very hard to form a union in America. If you try to form a union in the workplace, you’ll just get fired. This is well known. Another, NAFTA. All the free trade treaties we’ve entered upon have been designed to give management the upper hand over their workers. They can threaten to move the plant. That used to happen of course before NAFTA but now it happens more often.

Basically everything we’ve done has been designed to increase the power of management over labor in a broad sociological sense. And then you think about our solutions for these things. Our solutions for these things always have something to do with education. Democrats look at the problems I am describing and for every economic problem, they see an educational solution. That’s always their answer. More student loans. More job training. Get more kids into colleges. Give everyone a chance to go to Harvard. That’s always their answer. That’s misdiagnosing the problem, in my view. The problem is not that we aren’t smart enough; the problem is that we don’t have any power

How many times have working class white people been generalize and called rubes or trash on this board? Unless that is a term of endearment now.

Well yeah that’s obvious based on the board liberals bigoted views on Christianity and working class white people. At least Coach O has the balls to admit it.

Just to clarify, I don't believe I am racist/biased towards Christians or working class white people. I actually AM Christian and AM a working class white person.

What I was saying is that I am racist/biased towards Evangelicals and lower income/minimal education, rural white people. That's the group that I instinctively judge negatively.

How many times have working class white people been generalize and called rubes or trash on this board? Unless that is a term of endearment now.

since they supported and elected trump. they earned it.

If your entire identity is tied to something that you don’t outwardly project then fuck you and your fake self. This can mostly be applied to “party of family values” or “my Christian way of life” so pretty much all evangelicals.

Rube can be used to describe anyone of any race or nationality, since it's a term that has only recently become popular. It's possible that one day it will become politically incorrect and a racially derogatory term used only to refer to white people that voted for Donald Trump. On the day that rube becomes universal and synonymous with white Trump supporters, and they themselves feel discredited and ashamed, I will never say it again.

Any race or nationality or income level can also be trashy, unless of course you are superimposing (literally or contextually) "white trash".

Last edited:
That’s a good point, rube transcends race, sex, socio economic status and really has only a few qualifiers. A couple being do you defend the indefensible even against your own self interest, are you a fucking moron?

Rube can be used to describe anyone of any race or nationality, since it's a term that has only recently become popular. It's possible that one day it will become politically incorrect and a racially derogatory term used only to refer to white people that voted for Donald Trump. On the day that rube becomes universal and synonymous with white Trump supporters, and they themselves feel discredited and ashamed, I will never say it again.

And any political persuasion.

In fact, catamount just called me a rube yesterday.

You want to play the same game? In the greater political ecosphere do you really honestly believe that it’s republicans pushing and saturating the narratives of racism?

Feel free to post times I used the word "racist" when I wasn't quoting another poster or an article. You've gotten sanctimonious about two words. I'm sure there's plenty more. It's clear you have a double-standard. It's not OK when liberals do it, but it's fine when you do it.

I think there are plenty of liberals who overuse the term "racist." And I think Republicans saturate discourse with the term in order to play to their white victimization narrative in which "racist" is the white man's n-word.

My issues with lower income/minimal education, rural white Evangelicals stems from my first few years out of college. I taught high school at a very rural school in Virginia. (HOW RURAL WAS IT?) It was so rural, that as a fundraiser during Homecoming week, they did a version of a 50-50 raffle. After the football game, they made a 10 square by 10 square grid on the field. They let a cow loose on the field, and whatever square the cow shit in...that person won half the pot. My 3 years working in that community was NOT a positive experience, and I walked away with very negative stereotypes that I have taken with me the last 25 years. The Trump era has not done much to move me off those negative stereotypes.

My issues with lower income/minimal education, rural white Evangelicals stems from my first few years out of college. I taught high school at a very rural school in Virginia. (HOW RURAL WAS IT?) It was so rural, that as a fundraiser during Homecoming week, they did a version of a 50-50 raffle. After the football game, they made a 10 square by 10 square grid on the field. They let a cow loose on the field, and whatever square the cow shit in...that person won half the pot. My 3 years working in that community was NOT a positive experience, and I walked away with very negative stereotypes that I have taken with me the last 25 years. The Trump era has not done much to move me off those negative stereotypes.

Seems like a good way to get pink eye.

Does he think Democrats are union busting? I'm not sure the point of that excerpt.

If you read the actual back and forth he's a democrat who seemingly blamed Bill Clinton for things like union busting, yes.

Last edited:

My fraternity did a cow patty bingo on the field by Scales my junior year. It was my idea, and my dad helped me source the cow.

My fraternity did a cow patty bingo on the field by Scales my junior year. It was my idea, and my dad helped me source the cow.

I gotta assume you have to "prep" the cow...so that it is ready to go when released on the field.

I have a bias regarding posters who constantly write a bunch of whataboutish nonsense to act #aboveitall while throwing in their lot with the rubes.

Back