• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

I gotta assume you have to "prep" the cow...so that it is ready to go when released on the field.

Probably the guys at your school in VA were pros at this stuff so maybe they did. We just turned Bessie loose and hoped for the best. Took about an hour for her to do the deed. We erected a solar powered electric fence to keep her contained. I have no idea how I convinced WFU to sign off on that event, probably would never happen today.

President Donald Trump’s zero tolerance policy is creating a zombie army of children forcibly injected with medications that make them dizzy, listless, obese and even incapacitated, according to legal filings that show immigrant children in U.S. custody subdued with powerful psychiatric drugs.

Children held at Shiloh Treatment Center, a government contractor south of Houston that houses immigrant minors, described being held down and injected, according to the federal court filings. The lawsuit alleges that children were told they would not be released or see their parents unless they took medication and that they only were receiving vitamins.

Parents and the children themselves told attorneys the drugs rendered them unable to walk, afraid of people and wanting to sleep constantly, according to affidavits filed April 23 in U.S. District Court in California.

Get the Weekly Reveal newsletter

Don’t miss out on the next big story. Sign up today.

One mother said her child fell repeatedly, hitting her head, and ended up in a wheelchair. A child described trying to open a window and being hurled against a door by a Shiloh supervisor, who then choked her until she fainted.
“The supervisor told me I was going to get a medication injection to calm me down,” the girl said. “Two staff grabbed me, and the doctor gave me the injection despite my objection and left me there on the bed.”

Another child recounted being made to take pills in the morning, at noon and night. The child said “the staff told me that some of the pills are vitamins because they think I need to gain weight. The vitamins changed about two times, and each time I feel different.”

Shiloh is among 71 companies that receive funds from the federal government to house and supervise immigrant children deemed unaccompanied minors.

An investigation by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting found that nearly half of the $3.4 billion paid to those companies in the last four years went to homes with serious allegations of mistreating children. In nearly all cases reviewed by Reveal, the federal government continued contracts with the companies after serious allegations were raised.

At Reveal’s request, forensic psychiatrist Mark. J. Mills assessed materials from 420 pages of children’s medical records and statements filed in California federal court this April.

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist here; it looks like they’re trying to control agitation and aggressive behavior with antipsychotic drugs,” said Mills, who practices in the Washington, D.C., area and was an expert witness for a lawsuit that in 2008 stopped the federal government from forcibly administering antipsychotic drugs to deportees.

“You don’t need to administer these kinds of drugs unless someone is plucking out their eyeball or some such. The facility should not use these drugs to control behavior. That’s not what antipsychotics should be used for. That’s like the old Soviet Union used to do.”

If you read the actual back and forth he's a democrat who seemingly blamed Bill Clinton for things like union busting, yes.

Which is why progressives complain about centrists.

Many white working class people are not pro-labor because they believe it will cost them jobs.

I found this relatively long read to be a good read the other day from 2 years ago

Author Thomas Frank Talks Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and His New Book, ‘Listen Liberal’

He says Democrats are paying too much attention to Ivy Leaguers and not enough to the working class.

https://billmoyers.com/story/author...rnie-sanders-and-his-new-book-listen-liberal/

I remember blue-collar America very well, my parents belonged to that group. I do find it interesting that his reasons for the decline of blue-collar America are 1) The decline of labor unions. Who opposes unions in America? Conservatives and corporations. Which party favors laissez-faire economics that sees labor unions as a mortal threat? Republicans. Who votes for Republicans today? White, blue-collar workers. Who pushed through NAFTA? Yes, Bill Clinton signed it into law and supported it - but most liberal Democrats and nearly all labor unions at the time opposed it. Ironically, NAFTA passed Congress with mostly GOP support. Yet who do blue-collar workers blame for NAFTA, almost exclusively? Clinton. Who do they continue to vote for? Republicans. And, of the two major parties, which one is far more supportive of deregulating corporations and supporting the "power of corporate management" to force workers to do whatever it wants? The GOP. Who has taken away the power from the white working class? The corporate class, who, in spite of what Trump (himself a charter member) tells his supporters, are mostly Republicans. No doubt the Democrats could do a far better job at presenting their views, and I actually agree that they need to return to discussing economic liberalism and economic fairness as well as social and cultural liberalism. What this article leaves out is that, through their voting habits, the working class has consistently worked against their own interests, and effectively given more and more power to the forces that he blames for their decline. Some on this board say that is the fault of Democrats, because they have "abandoned" their traditional support for white working class people in favor of minorities and social liberals. The problem with that argument is that many working class whites have a long, long history in America of opposing civil rights for minorities and gays and many others. Those people aren't "Ivy League" types either. Unless Democrats want to abandon many of the minority groups they now advocate for and protect (such as gays and transgenders, for example), it's going to be hard for them to win back most working-class whites, no matter what they do on economic issues.

President Donald Trump’s zero tolerance policy is creating a zombie army of children forcibly injected with medications that make them dizzy, listless, obese and even incapacitated, according to legal filings that show immigrant children in U.S. custody subdued with powerful psychiatric drugs.

Children held at Shiloh Treatment Center, a government contractor south of Houston that houses immigrant minors, described being held down and injected, according to the federal court filings. The lawsuit alleges that children were told they would not be released or see their parents unless they took medication and that they only were receiving vitamins.

Parents and the children themselves told attorneys the drugs rendered them unable to walk, afraid of people and wanting to sleep constantly, according to affidavits filed April 23 in U.S. District Court in California.

Get the Weekly Reveal newsletter

Don’t miss out on the next big story. Sign up today.

One mother said her child fell repeatedly, hitting her head, and ended up in a wheelchair. A child described trying to open a window and being hurled against a door by a Shiloh supervisor, who then choked her until she fainted.
“The supervisor told me I was going to get a medication injection to calm me down,” the girl said. “Two staff grabbed me, and the doctor gave me the injection despite my objection and left me there on the bed.”

Another child recounted being made to take pills in the morning, at noon and night. The child said “the staff told me that some of the pills are vitamins because they think I need to gain weight. The vitamins changed about two times, and each time I feel different.”

Shiloh is among 71 companies that receive funds from the federal government to house and supervise immigrant children deemed unaccompanied minors.

An investigation by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting found that nearly half of the $3.4 billion paid to those companies in the last four years went to homes with serious allegations of mistreating children. In nearly all cases reviewed by Reveal, the federal government continued contracts with the companies after serious allegations were raised.

At Reveal’s request, forensic psychiatrist Mark. J. Mills assessed materials from 420 pages of children’s medical records and statements filed in California federal court this April.

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist here; it looks like they’re trying to control agitation and aggressive behavior with antipsychotic drugs,” said Mills, who practices in the Washington, D.C., area and was an expert witness for a lawsuit that in 2008 stopped the federal government from forcibly administering antipsychotic drugs to deportees.

“You don’t need to administer these kinds of drugs unless someone is plucking out their eyeball or some such. The facility should not use these drugs to control behavior. That’s not what antipsychotics should be used for. That’s like the old Soviet Union used to do.”

Jesus fucking Christ

I remember blue-collar America very well, my parents belonged to that group. I do find it interesting that his reasons for the decline of blue-collar America are 1) The decline of labor unions. Who opposes unions in America? Conservatives and corporations. Which party favors laissez-faire economics that sees labor unions as a mortal threat? Republicans. Who votes for Republicans today? White, blue-collar workers. Who pushed through NAFTA? Yes, Bill Clinton signed it into law and supported it - but most liberal Democrats and nearly all labor unions at the time opposed it. Ironically, NAFTA passed Congress with mostly GOP support. Yet who do blue-collar workers blame for NAFTA, almost exclusively? Clinton. Who do they continue to vote for? Republicans. And, of the two major parties, which one is far more supportive of deregulating corporations and supporting the "power of corporate management" to force workers to do whatever it wants? The GOP. Who has taken away the power from the white working class? The corporate class, who, in spite of what Trump (himself a charter member) tells his supporters, are mostly Republicans. No doubt the Democrats could do a far better job at presenting their views, and I actually agree that they need to return to discussing economic liberalism and economic fairness as well as social and cultural liberalism. What this article leaves out is that, through their voting habits, the working class has consistently worked against their own interests, and effectively given more and more power to the forces that he blames for their decline. Some on this board say that is the fault of Democrats, because they have "abandoned" their traditional support for white working class people in favor of minorities and social liberals. The problem with that argument is that many working class whites have a long, long history in America of opposing civil rights for minorities and gays and many others. Those people aren't "Ivy League" types either. Unless Democrats want to abandon many of the minority groups they now advocate for and protect (such as gays and transgenders, for example), it's going to be hard for them to win back most working-class whites, no matter what they do on economic issues.

Mind if I quote from this for a discussion I’m having on Facebook?

Very good post.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a type/form of racist. I quickly judge and have negative thoughts about low-income, rural white people...and even more so if they are self-identified Evangelicals. I find myself fighting the urge to stereotype them all. I also find that I do it so easily and subconsciously. Maybe some Repubs/Wrangor's friends do the same thing about Hispanic folks...
You're conflating rural and low income. Poor white people were more likely to vote for Clinton

https://www-vox-com.cdn.ampproject....2634/trump-clinton-racism-economy-prri-survey
And economic hardship among white working-class Americans actually predicted more support for Hillary Clinton, not Trump: Although not highly statistically significant, the survey found that “[t]hose who reported being in fair or poor financial shape were 1.7 times more likely to support Clinton, compared to those who were in better financial shape.” 

The law of unforeseeable consequences

Now the kids will be detained well beyond the court ordered 20 days

This entire problem would vanish if the Democrats gave a damn about border security and were willing to help do something about it.

Instead, they come up with this cockamamy position that hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants continue to pour across our border unhindered & unvetted..... and almost all of them are people seeking asylum and, therefore, are exempt from our normal immigration laws. You could easily have thousands of people from terrorist organizations doing this and we would have no way of knowing......because we no longer know who the hell is entering the country.

it's almost like your administration is reactionary moon

This entire problem would vanish if the Democrats gave a damn about border security and were willing to help do something about it.

Instead, they come up with this cockamamy position that hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants continue to pour across our border unhindered & unvetted..... and almost all of them are people seeking asylum and, therefore, are exempt from our normal immigration laws. You could easily have thousands of people from terrorist organizations doing this and we would have no way of knowing......because we no longer know who the hell is entering the country.

No matter how many times you tell this lie, it will never become true.

Dems worked with W to create a comprehensive immigration bill that McConnell and extreme RWers refused to allow to come to a vote.

Dems worked with the GOP during Obama's presidency to come up with a comprehensive immigration bill. Again, McConnell and extremist Republicans kept a vote from happening knowing it would pass both chambers.

You should learn a little recent history rather than posting ignorant, brainwashed drivel your masters send to you.

Back