• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

I hope none of you were expecting Angus, Sailor, or tintin to care about immigrant children. Republicans barely care about American children outside the womb.

I hope none of you were expecting Angus, Sailor, or tintin to care about immigrant children. Republicans barely care about American children outside the womb.

Call me naive but I thought the visual of someone's 3-year old daughter in a cage would make every American's blood boil.

The really easy solution is not to bring your children in illegally. What kind of human does something that they know could result in getting separated from their children? Nice appeal to emotion in the way y’all are trying to frame this though
Blind fucking authoritarianism from an absolute moron. "What kind of human does something they know could result in them getting firehosed by cops or could result in them dying of exposure, naked on a jail cell floor". "What kind of black man talks to a married white woman when he knows it could result in him hanging from a tree?"
Fuck. You.

tintin, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just don’t know that people coming here have no idea they’ll be separated from their children and detained separately. People come here and expect humane treatment not kidnapping.

With all this talk of children being forcibly taken from their parents, I think it's time to contrast that with this image of a loving mother caring for her child, shared just this morning:

Wow. That’s either clueless or a demented troll.

What Separating Migrant Families at the Border Actually Looks Like

“Why do I have to leave? Mami I want to stay with you!” one four-year-old El Salvadorian boy balled to his mother, known as JIL, as CBP officers took him and his ten-year-old brother away from her in South Texas, according to an affidavit filed by the mother. They were separated in March—before Sessions’s policy even officially launched—but the incident is an example of what is now common practice at the border. The brothers slept in the same room as their mother back in El Salvador and were too anxious to go to the bathroom without her after witnessing MS-13 gang members beat and threaten her. But once they arrived in the US, the boys were placed in two separate foster homes and held in government custody for over a month without being able to speak with their mother, who remains in Laredo Detention Center, JIL’s attorney Denise Gilman told me.

The boys are now staying with other family in Virginia, but JIL will likely be detained for many more months: A San Antonio judge Wednesday issued her a bond too high for her to pay—$12,500—deeming her a flight risk for being connected to a gang, when her sole connection was the harm they did her.

As Gilman, the director of University of Texas’s Immigration Law Clinic, explained: “There’s a real trend towards trying to put all asylum seekers in the same category as gang members even when all this young mother was seek to protect these young boys by bringing them to the US.”

They're using MS-13 fear-mongering to punish victims of MS-13.

The same week Sessions made his announcement, the largest family facility—a 2,400-bed cluster of trailers in Dilley, Texas—was packed nearly to capacity, as volunteers and a few legal staff scrambled to inform women of their rights as they fought immediate deportation. Kids detained included a 16-year-old whose father sold her to drug traffickers until her mother rescued her; a first-grader pulled out of school to work for her father inside the house all day with her mom while an armed guard trapped them inside; a nine-year-old pursued by gang members at school to sell drugs for them until her mother refused and was threatened with murder; and an adolescent boy forced to watch his mother have sex with his stepfather in their one-room apartment nearly every day.

And as they wait in limbo, it's unclear where these children will be able to stay. Already the ORR shelters equipped to house unaccompanied minors—which until now have been children traveling without a parent—are 91 percent full. To quickly make more room, the Trump administration now plans to put kids on military bases—which the Obama administration did in the past with unaccompanied teens. But this setup is only meant for kids 13 and older for temporary emergency stays. And while the vast majority—83 percent last year—of unaccompanied minors entering the country have been older than 13, children traveling with parents tend to be far younger, often babies.

Apologies for all the text, but there is just so much awfulness to highlight.

The really easy solution is not to bring your children in illegally. What kind of human does something that they know could result in getting separated from their children? Nice appeal to emotion in the way y’all are trying to frame this though

I don't presume to know TinTin's faith, but, this kind of response is eerily similar to a lot of Conservative Evangelicals I know. Jesus/the Church would do exactly the opposite and take these folks in, especially the (faith like a) children. There are a significant number of them of think "we" (Christians) don't have an obligation to help these people, and that doesn't even include the atrocity of separating kids from their parents. They just turn a blind eye for the "reason" above, which isn't a good reason at all (asylum). It's the definition of unique white (American) privilege. I have family members who think this way, too, and also profess to be "pro life" and God fearing. It is quite simply the antithesis of the Gospel. But, when you fall hook line sinker for all the ails DJT says you should feel, it's no surprise this line of thinking persist. And I type all this as a Christian knowing there are a lot of good, Gospel-driven believers out there who are fighting for, and helping, these people. Sadly, the the State, and he state's sponsors (DJT die-hards) are louder.

A vast majority of Christian conservatives are hypocritical bigots who do very little to mirror the actions of their savior? Agreed.

The teachings of Jesus Christ and the economic principles of capitalism are polar opposites. Yet we live in a world where most people believe they can co-exist.

We're due for a Reign of Terror. Past due.

A vast majority of Christian conservatives are hypocritical bigots who do very little to mirror the actions of their savior? Agreed.

The teachings of Jesus Christ and the economic principles of capitalism are polar opposites. Yet we live in a world where most people believe they can co-exist.

We're due for a Reign of Terror. Past due.

Yea, it’s almost as if conservative Christians should own it.

Also, there are plenty of wonderful churches combating poverty, inequality, racism, etc, but their message is drowned out by the mainstream face palm messages we see everyday. It sucks, but they’re there.

It’s time for white progressive Christians to go hard at white evangelicals beyond the pulpit.

It’s time for white progressive Christians to go hard at white evangelicals beyond the pulpit.

+1000.

It's not even politics at this point. Just practice what you preach and the opening is there.

Isn’t that little Duke cunt Stephen MIller the one in Trump’s ear about immigration? A guy with no family, no wife, no one who loves him making policy with a cruel old dotard POTUS who’s never changed a diaper and hasn’t once posted a pic of himself playing with his 10 year old son. Yeah, that’s who should be making policy about little kids and families.

Oh and no surprise Tintin is all into this shit.

I just can't fathom people like tintin's lack of empathy or compassion. "I was lucky enough to be born north of an imaginary line. You weren't. So fuck you."

If you break into anything else illegally and get caught you would expect to be separated from your children via jail

Back