• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

They’re really worried about November.

For what it’s worth, Republicans and establishment Democrats don’t typically care much about the suffering of “real Americans,” either.

Yes, only progressives care about the suffering of "real Americans". Good job teach.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you that I won't switch from a hard core leftist to a hard core rightie. will stay left moderate. but in general I would hope that intelligent people could have a better understanding of why people might disagree with them other than thinking they have cornered the market on morality.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you that I won't switch from a hard core leftist to a hard core rightie. will stay left moderate. but in general I would hope that intelligent people could have a better understanding of why people might disagree with them other than thinking they have cornered the market on morality.
I think we all understand that in a society, an extent of suffering is inevitable and unpreventable, but we definitely disagree on the amount and degree of suffering, and our relative complicity in that suffering. Either way, suffering (and the prevention of it) is an unusual thing to discuss unemotionally.

fx7nFiW.gif

Oh good. I'm glad this thread has moved onto existential questions now.

Right now one side does have the market cornered.

Some 3,000 Migrant Kids Are Still Separated From Their Parents. The Trump Administration Is Using DNA Tests to Match Them

Azar told reporters on a conference call on Thursday that "fewer than" 3,000 kids – including around 100 who are under age 5 – are being cared for facilities funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement, which is run out of HHS. There are more than 11,800 minors in their care – most of whom arrived at the border unaccompanied.

The 2,300 number they've been using didn't include the children separated from their families before the policy became official. Kids who have now been apart from their parents for months.

If the trauma these children faced in their home countries was not enough to screw them up for life, the Trump administration was happy to finish the job.

Trump administration ordered to supply list of young children subjected to separation

A judge gave the administration until Tuesday to reunite the ~100 kids under the age of five with their families. The administration has asked for more time.

The Trump administration has “mapped” 86 parents to 83 children under age 5 who remain in the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement, Justice Department attorney Sarah Fabian said during the court meeting Friday.

Of the 86 mapped parents, 46 remain in federal immigration detention, 19 have been deported, 19 have been released, and two have a criminal history that could potentially disqualify them from reunification, Fabian said.

It isn't clear how much the federal government knows about the whereabouts of "unmapped" parents for nearly 20 children under 5.

Also this is frightening:

In a letter sent Friday, six Democratic governors said they had learned HHS considered any placement of a child to amount to a reunification — even if the sponsor wasn’t the parent from whom the child was separated.

The letter references a June 29 meeting where Trump administration officials reportedly said that a successful reunification would include placement with a family member in the U.S., a family member in the child’s home country or in a long-term foster care setting.

They deleted the processing records for thousands of immigrant families so now there is no systematic way to reunite those families. How is that not literally criminal?

They deleted the processing records for thousands of immigrant families so now there is no systematic way to reunite those families. How is that not literally criminal?

Because it’s what the ruling party of our government wants.

sailor, Angus, moonz, Junebug and others, why do you all support separating families and making it difficult to reunite them? Do you all have stock in foster care agencies and detention centers? I just want to understand people who aren’t outraged by this. Or do you love it because it pisses off people like me?

The perceived tears of perceived liberals are worth any cost.

Especially if the cost(s) are perceived to be mainly borne by others.

Last edited:
Kids as young as 1 in US court, awaiting reunion with family

PHOENIX (AP) — The 1-year-old boy in a green button-up shirt drank milk from a bottle, played with a small purple ball that lit up when it hit the ground and occasionally asked for "agua."

Then it was the child's turn for his court appearance before a Phoenix immigration judge, who could hardly contain his unease with the situation during the portion of the hearing where he asks immigrant defendants whether they understand the proceedings.

"I'm embarrassed to ask it, because I don't know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law," Judge John W. Richardson told the lawyer representing the 1-year-old boy.

The boy is one of hundreds of children who need to be reunited with their parents after being separated at the border, many of them split from mothers and fathers as a result of the Trump administration's "zero-tolerance policy." The separations have become an embarrassment to the administration as stories of crying children separated from mothers and kept apart for weeks on end dominated the news in recent weeks.

Critics have also seized on the nation's immigration court system that requires children — some still in diapers — to have appearances before judges and go through deportation proceedings while separated from their parents. Such children don't have a right to a court-appointed attorney, and 90 percent of kids without a lawyer are returned to their home countries, according to Kids in Need of Defense, a group that provides legal representation.

In Phoenix on Friday, the Honduran boy named Johan waited over an hour to see the judge. His attorney told Richardson that the boy's father had brought him to the U.S. but that they had been separated, although it's unclear when. He said the father, who was now in Honduras, was removed from the country under false pretenses that he would be able to leave with his son.

For a while, the child wore dress shoes, but later he was in just socks as he waited to see the judge. He was silent and calm for most of the hearing, though he cried hysterically afterward for the few seconds that a worker handed him to another person while she gathered his diaper bag. He is in the custody of the U.S. Health and Human Services Department in Arizona.

https://apnews.com/amp/4cb60fc06ca34160bf7445fdc1f47eed

Family Separation at the Border: UN & Laura Bush condemn policy

sailor, Angus, moonz, Junebug and others, what makes you happy about stories about 1 year old children sitting in court in front of a judge often without legal representation? Why do you love that so much?

Back