• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

60 minutes has a heartbreaking story about the child separation policy right now.

2 psychologists from DHS who worked with these kids just said they couldn’t sleep for months after witnessing the impact of the policy on these kids.

This administration is awful.

It’s not just the administration. It’s the Americans who support this evil.

Meh, even the liberal media reports say there are thousands of them and they’re trying to storm past the guards.

"I tried to keep them together but the problem is, when you do that, vast numbers of additional people storm the Border."

I don't think it's that big a stretch to suggest the United States is perilously close to dipping its toes into a holocaust level human rights violation. It's not there yet, but it's not that difficult to see the path to getting there, either.

I don't think it's that big a stretch to suggest the United States is perilously close to dipping its toes into a holocaust level human rights violation. It's not there yet, but it's not that difficult to see the path to getting there, either.

This. The complete and utter lack of concern for these migrants is frightening.

The problem is that 90% of the country will only see a human rights violation as one where 6 Million people are murdered in the midst of a world war.

Trump’s immigration policies are already costing lives and he and his supporters give zero fucks. That’s dangerous.

Not at all. Military-style police violence against American citizens is already acceptable among most of the GOP.

I will register a bit of a contrarian take on the events over the weekend (at least, contrarian for this board). While I am no supporter of Trump in general or his immigration policies in particular, I am not ready to equate non-lethal crowd control measures directed at people rushing our border security with the Holocaust. Open borders theorizing aside, large majorities of the American people want reasonably secure borders and do not want to see masses of people rushing across while law enforcement authorities stand aside. Naturally I would prefer that the United States do much, much more to prevent these scenes ever happening in the first place. For starters we could have a rational and proactive immigration policy that isn't riddled with racism. Failing that the Trump administration could and should allocate resources to the border so that asylum claims can be processed at a quicker pace, and could and should provide humanitarian aid to the people stuck in Tijuana waiting on the glacial pace of asylum admissions.

Nonetheless, and despite the fact that Trump could have done more to prevent the rush ever happening, an attempt to forcibly cross the border did occur. Defending the border in this manner is far from the worst possible outcome and I am not sure that past administrations would have done anything much different faced with the same circumstances.

Agree with D923 and wish he'd post a supporting story from The Atlantic.

I will register a bit of a contrarian take on the events over the weekend (at least, contrarian for this board). While I am no supporter of Trump in general or his immigration policies in particular, I am not ready to equate non-lethal crowd control measures directed at people rushing our border security with the Holocaust. Open borders theorizing aside, large majorities of the American people want reasonably secure borders and do not want to see masses of people rushing across while law enforcement authorities stand aside. Naturally I would prefer that the United States do much, much more to prevent these scenes ever happening in the first place. For starters we could have a rational and proactive immigration policy that isn't riddled with racism. Failing that the Trump administration could and should allocate resources to the border so that asylum claims can be processed at a quicker pace, and could and should provide humanitarian aid to the people stuck in Tijuana waiting on the glacial pace of asylum admissions.

Nonetheless, and despite the fact that Trump could have done more to prevent the rush ever happening, an attempt to forcibly cross the border did occur. Defending the border in this manner is far from the worst possible outcome and I am not sure that past administrations would have done anything much different faced with the same circumstances.

Trump caused these problems on purpose. If he didn't illegally and personally overturn US and international laws about asylum as well as close the border, this wouldn't have happened.

Trump caused these problems on purpose. If he didn't illegally and personally overturn US and international laws about asylum as well as close the border, this wouldn't have happened.

it is certainly possible that Trump, or more intelligent and devious people like Stephen Miller, wanted pressure to build at the border in the hopes of engineering a scene like this so Trump could look tough. However, when people go crazy over the tear gas incident they actually play right into Miller's hands. He and his cohorts want the focus to be on rioting at the border and not on the humanitarian issues that are actually causing it.

Back