• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

Listened a little to Breitbart’s “Disorder at the Border” special on Sirius this morning. They were with Border Patrol in boats along the Rio Grande and two things stuck out to me: they don’t refer to them as people crossing the border, but bodies, which is super dehumanizing; and they said the drugs they encounter being smuggled over is weed. Now how could we stop pot being smuggled across the border?

It really says something about the awfulness of this administration that even before the coronavirus shutdown what they have done on immigration, and done to immigrants, has largely become a back-burner issue for even many of his critics. It's like there's such a buffet of bad decisions and grift and other crap spewing forth that people can't keep up. Hell, maybe that's the goal.

Feels like full on panic from Trump. His polling with older voters is tanking so he's giving up any semblance of trying to help the economy (stopping immigration will make things worse in that regard) to fully double down on fear of foreigners.

Two nurses specifically marked by Boris Johnson for their superb care of him while hospitalized with COVID-19 were a couple o’ them thar fur’ners.

This administration and its base are driven by hate. It’s that simple. Hate and animosity of the successful people in successful cities, hate of anything foreign as a convenient scapegoat for their own misery and failure. It’s the party of the white trash loser now. There were many decent republicans in Congress, and most are gone.

I used to wonder how it was possible the Germans allowed the Nazi party to overtake their country, how that could possibly happen in any advanced society. It seemed impossible. Well it’s not. This is how it happens.

This administration and its base are driven by hate. It’s that simple. Hate and animosity of the successful people in successful cities, hate of anything foreign as a convenient scapegoat for their own misery and failure. It’s the party of the white trash loser now. There were many decent republicans in Congress, and most are gone.

I used to wonder how it was possible the Germans allowed the Nazi party to overtake their country, how that could possibly happen in any advanced society. It seemed impossible. Well it’s not. This is how it happens.

^Yep. The party of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" turns out to be a party of "I hate/resent you because (fill-in-the-blank) and Trump hates people like you too, so he's my boy!"

Feels like full on panic from Trump. His polling with older voters is tanking so he's giving up any semblance of trying to help the economy (stopping immigration will make things worse in that regard) to fully double down on fear of foreigners.

Agreed. If the economy doesn't perk up by the fall and Trump can't hang his campaign MAGA hat on that anymore, the only thing he and the GOP have left is their tried-and-true culture war issues to fire up the rural and suburban white base, and running on racial/xenophobic fears. Given the people he now has surrounding him as advisers, no doubt that's what they'll go with, probably in more direct and blunt ways than we've seen in a presidential campaign in decades.

Back