• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Separation at the Border: US citizens are now being detained

I heard on NPR today there are Roma people migrating to Mexico then on to the US border.

Next cycle we’ll hear ‘bout “Gypsies, tramps and thieves”…!

haven't played it yet but Curse of Strahd is supposed to be a great module

So are we suppose to be outraged that immigrants are taking low wage jobs and supposedly effecting low wage earners or are we suppose to be outraged that nobody wants to work shit low wage jobs and they aren’t being filled so Chipotle had to raise the cost of a burrito? Just depend on the Fox News programming playing or what tunnels thread you click on?

So are we suppose to be outraged that immigrants are taking low wage jobs and supposedly effecting low wage earners or are we suppose to be outraged that nobody wants to work shit low wage jobs and they aren’t being filled so Chipotle had to raise the cost of a burrito? Just depend on the Fox News programming playing or what tunnels thread you click on?

0-4

Sky rocketing numbers of illegal crossings at the border is a problem but not because of wage deflation. Study after study show that immigrants are aren't stealing jobs from out of work Americans. If you’re truly concerned about wages, let’s talk about minimum wage increases.

Sky rocketing number of illegal crossings at the border is a problem because it’s a massive humanitarian crisis. People are suffering and we need to help them and solve the problem. Let’s consider why the migration is happening in the first place and deal with that rather then set putative deterrents at the border after they’ve already left their homes and traveled thousands of miles. If we want to stop the inflow we should end the war on drugs and devise policies to rapidly address and adapt to climate change.

Since JH was so convinced by the climate change links I reread this exchange on immigrants and wages. I found a typo in this post which I have corrected and will also provide a link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/..._1WK6ej4FgeQbtD3QbxoCC8cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are many others, but that one is pretty thorough.

And on the issues of wages specifically, here is a libertarian cato institute analysis that concludes immigrants, legal and illegal, skilled and unskilled, have minimal effect on real wages in America:
https://www.cato.org/cato-journal/f...nomic-implications-of-immigration-restriction
Here is an NPR finding a similar conclusion:
https://www.npr.org/2017/08/04/541321716/fact-check-have-low-skilled-immigrants-taken-american-jobs
Here is a study that concludes in the long term, immigrats might actually increase wages in America:
https://wol.iza.org/articles/do-immigrant-workers-depress-the-wages-of-native-workers/long

At the very least, we don't have enough evidence to conclude that illegal immigrants are driving down wages and some evidence contradicts the premise.

If they can drive an Uber I say let them in

Good links, birdman. But none of that matters to xenophobes.

can you imagine being packed up and sent to mexico with the other weekend warriors b/c some rich republican wants to play Risk

pretty cool new feature: state-sanctioned mercenary armies.

also, DeSantis sent a bunch of cops to the border. I guess he's solved all crime in the state and has excess resources that should be defunded.

can you imagine being packed up and sent to mexico with the other freedom warriors b/c some freedom republican wants to play Freedom

Fixed for ‘Murica!

What % of the 50,000 illegal immigrants released into the US without a court date have been vaccinated?

What a dumb fucking statement, which is the usual. Assume all were not vaccinated and all 50,000 had covid, guess what, that’s just half of Tuesday’s covid cases.

Back