• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

A horrendous move but I guess if you hate playing for your coach that much it's the right one...or not.

Sitting on it, I’m with Creamy and Ironwill. I don’t think our team will see too much of a drop off from Crawford to Childress. Our starting five and maybe sixth man should be decent but unless Jamie Lewis the Mystery Man comes in ready to play we don’t have a back up PG. and Ikenna Smart is below average at basketball backing up Sarr. Theoretically, we should have a decent back up option available at the 2/3 in either Johnson or Mucius but that’s about it.

As I’ve said ad nauseum lately, too many unknowns for me to feel remotely good about anything - but I don’t think at this point losing Crawford is that big of a deal. This must be what numbness feels like.

I personally think losing Crawford is less important than losing Moore. Both important, especially as seniors - but I think if we kept Moore we could’ve withstood the loss of only Crawford. It could also just me being numb to this kind of thing now after the offseason we’ve had.

Childress doesn't have nearly the play-making ability of Crawford. Not big or quick enough. Relying on him to make plays 30+ mins a game will not go well.

Crawford, for all his infuriating faults, was still our leading scorer...by a lot. And we also lost #2 and #3 as well.

He led in assists and steals too.

I get it. It's hard to let go of the positivity you clung to all season. Let it go. We're screwed. We lost the best three players on an awful team and we are hoping to replace them with freshmen.

I mean I do still think we’re screwed. I just don’t think our starting five is a bad group.

We can't do much worse in the Won-Loss column in the ACC compared to last year. Our win total next year will likely be similar. What will happen with Crawford gone is we are going to have ugly 20 and 30 point blowout losses similar to Bzdelick's last two years. Crawford didn't win many games for us during his three years (fondly remember Indiana in Maui), but he did keep many games from being blowouts--he could always get his shot, and often went to the line--just didn't do it in crunch time.

Our team would have sucked next year with Crawford. That isn’t the point. The point is our system is broken. Kids don’t want to be here.

Those players who we have never seen play a second of college ball are always going to be good ones, full of hustle, good shooting, unselfish team play, and solid defense. Can't wait, Crawford and Moore weren't all that good anyhow.

Do you think it's better or worse than last year's starting 5 (ignoring TT)?

Why ignore TT?

Uhh I don’t know depends on who Manning starts. I don’t like relying on freshman but Mucius and Hoard look like upgrades in their respective positions (Hoard as a HUGE upgrade over TT. I don’t see why you’d ignore him since I believe he started every game). Sarr Chaundee and chill all need to improve, of which I’m expecting from the first two for sure. Again, it’s dependent on unknown quantities and I don’t feel confident answering yes or no because the range could be from slightly better to slightly worse. So our ceiling looks low, IMO - especially considering our lack of depth.

Why ignore TT?

Uhh I don’t know depends on who Manning starts. I don’t like relying on freshman but Mucius and Hoard look like upgrades in their respective positions (Hoard as a HUGE upgrade over TT. I don’t see why you’d ignore him since I believe he started every game). Sarr Chaundee and chill all need to improve, of which I’m expecting from the first two for sure. Again, it’s dependent on unknown quantities and I don’t feel confident answering yes or no because the range could be from slightly better to slightly worse. So our ceiling looks low, IMO - especially considering our lack of depth.

Ignore TT because he had no business starting and he does not represent our best possible 5 from last season.

There’s absolutely no disputing that, but whether you have Donovan Mitchell or Sarr starting at the 4 you still have a pretty major upgrade in Hoard

Getting 8-9 players that have heart and give a shit would be a good start. Not sure that any of those leaving meet that criteria.

Trevor Lacy from state is probably a decent comp. Left early, went undrafted. Played the last three seasons in Europe. 2 in Italy, 1 in Russia. Top leagues in both countries. No idea of his compensation.

Meh, if they don't want to be here, let 'em go. I'll still watch every game and nervously chug beers and cheer my ass off for the kids that pull on the old gold and black. I know most of you ultimately will too.

Peace, Doral and Crawford. Good luck and byeeeeeee.

true

then again, Crawford will almost certainly make more money next year than, for example, a high school principal with 20 years experience

and there is a limited window in which Crawford will make peak money

also, I disagree that at this point Crawford would be likely to improve his basketball earnings potential at WF; he pretty much is who he will be at this point as a basketball player

HS principals with 20 yrs can be making $100-125k AND have a pension. Think Lavar's league or G League will offer that?

The recent backlash against the NCAA's amateurism model might mean that we legitimately can't compare early departure rate to that of 20, even 10 years ago, and that Crawford, et al, are making a financially smart decision. That still leaves us with the question of why it happens to our team specifically-Crawford's decision would seem to be financially wise for a huge segment of NCAA basketball players. It's possible that we picked the precisely wrong time to tank our basketball reputation.

Back