• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

Definitely the wrong time. Skip's death happened at the same time as several trends that work against Wake, especially without forward thinking leadership.

It's happened to State the last couple years too with Trevor Lacey, Cat Barber, and Maverick Rowan all leaving for the pros with eligibility left and going undrafted.

fair enough. however, i stand by the assertion that basketball players (majority - do not use the exceptions as the rule) at ACC schools are not there for the degree. they are attempting to improve their future ability to earn money playing basketball. which is 100% kosher. that's the whole problem with college basketball. they are not "student" athletes. stop calling them that. They have a skill that most of us do not have. same for computer programmers. no one would criticize a student who took a job at microsoft as a sophomore. why do it for a junior basketball player that may earn six figures in france?

Maybe because the kid with the MSFT job can work at his profession and develop more skills and abilities for 30-40 years IF THEY choose to. 17 ACC rookies(2 ended up coming after trfrg elsewhere) played in NBA this year. 60 former ACC players who entered in last 6 yrs played in the league this year. These included players called up from the G League. Those are the facts, not some pipe dream fed to kids by a corrupt AAU coach lining his own pockets.

Kinda looking forward to a full year of #nextcoachwatch. More fun than Wake BB most years anyway

Sitting on it, I’m with Creamy and Ironwill. I don’t think our team will see too much of a drop off from Crawford to Childress. Our starting five and maybe sixth man should be decent but unless Jamie Lewis the Mystery Man comes in ready to play we don’t have a back up PG. and Ikenna Smart is below average at basketball backing up Sarr. Theoretically, we should have a decent back up option available at the 2/3 in either Johnson or Mucius but that’s about it.

As I’ve said ad nauseum lately, too many unknowns for me to feel remotely good about anything - but I don’t think at this point losing Crawford is that big of a deal. This must be what numbness feels like.

It is because basketball-wise this is a big loss. Brandon is a adequate back-up, but he's not a starter in the ACC. Bryant average over 16 ppg for two consecutive seasons. He was in the Top 10 in steals and assists for those years. We ain't getting close to that from Brandon barring a miraculous improvement.

It is because basketball-wise this is a big loss. Brandon is a adequate back-up, but he's not a starter in the ACC. Bryant average over 16 ppg for two consecutive seasons. He was in the Top 10 in steals and assists for those years. We ain't getting close to that from Brandon barring a miraculous improvement.

Yeah and not just that but we lose a layer of depth that we critically need. There might not be a massive drop off between Crawford and Brandon, but there is a massive drop off between Brandon and what freshmen we will try to get to run the point Lewis or Wright.

We are totally done next season. This is going to be worse than the first year of the Buzz. At least in the first year of the Buzz people thought that team might have some talent. I can't remember a year going into it where we are as thin and lacking talent. Hoard better be a STUD or it could be beyond bad.

It's happened to State the last couple years too with Trevor Lacey, Cat Barber, and Maverick Rowan all leaving for the pros with eligibility left and going undrafted.

Good point. Maverick Rowan left after his soph year and Ted Kapita left after his freshman year in 2017. Rowan is on a G-League roster. Kapita got waived from a G-League team. Trevor Lacey plays in Russia. Cat Barber played in the G-League and now plays in Israel.

We rightfully thought State was a dumpster fire when all these players left.

I think their problem was losing and not taking their share of responsibility.

European teams typically pay the income tax, so your earnings are tax free. That said, one would assume that the salaries would be higher if the players paid their taxes themselves. Either way, it's technically "tax free" in that the contracted pay amount is exactly what the player nets. Plus, your living expenses, car, etc are often covered, so the contracts are worth quite a bit more than the salaried amount.

International earnings of US citizens above ~$100k are taxed in both the US and the country in which they earned. Presumably the "tax free" aspect applies only to the taxes of the other country.

I think their problem was with Manning but I am willing to listen to the Wake culture argument. What about ther Wake culture offended them?

I agree about Manning, but the uppity elitist school we are trying to be cannot help.

I think we get all the WF culture we need to know when we look in the student sections of basketball and football games.

We no longer even have that many good ole NC guys, who love college basketball, teaching on the faculty.

That used to help the tall kids connect. There’s no connection for Doral, Bryant other than the coaching staff. So if the coach relationship founders, they got no reason to stay.

I agree about Manning, but the uppity elitist school we are trying to be cannot help.

I think we get all the WF culture we need to know when we look in the student sections of basketball and football games.

We no longer even have that many good ole NC guys, who love college basketball, teaching on the faculty.

That used to help the tall kids connect. There’s no connection for Doral, Bryant other than the coaching staff. So if the coach relationship founders, they got no reason to stay.

Is this post for real? If so, this may be one of the dumbest takes I have ever read.

Back