• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

Good point. Maverick Rowan left after his soph year and Ted Kapita left after his freshman year in 2017. Rowan is on a G-League roster. Kapita got waived from a G-League team. Trevor Lacey plays in Russia. Cat Barber played in the G-League and now plays in Israel.

We rightfully thought State was a dumpster fire when all these players left.
Good call. I forgot about Kapita.

International earnings of US citizens above ~$100k are taxed in both the US and the country in which they earned. Presumably the "tax free" aspect applies only to the taxes of the other country.

Yes, the idea that Crawford and Moore are going to earn tax free money is silly. First of all, if they are lucky to earn 100k, they will most definitely spend the vast majority of it (if not all of it). If they earn more than 100k, they will get hammered with the double taxation. Brian Oliver (GT) had about a 10 year career overseas, and what he did was send every other check back to the US. He would live and pay all his taxes out of the first check, and then save the other check. Granted he was making really good coin, but that is what happens when you a two time all ACC player, MVP of the ACC tournament, and an early 2nd round pick. When you are none of those, and your team stunk in your 'leadership' year - it isn't going to garner a whole lot of enthusiasm from foreign teams to spend a bunch of money on you to be one of the 2 or 3 American players.

Anyone who thinks we aren't going to miss Crawford and Moore are sadly mistaken. Yes - the fact that they left when they know their draft status is probably a good indicator that many of our late game struggles were due to massive chemistry problems. However their talent level is much needed, and our depth is now a massive concern. We are small, young, and shallow. We lost 4 underclassmen who would have soaked up the following minutes:

PG: 30
SG: 25
SF/PF: 20
C: 25-30

That hurts. Losing Woods and Mitchell was not going to be an issue based upon what we had coming back (although I would have rather we kept them). Losing Crawford and Moore (combined with the other two losses) is REALLY going to hurt. Sucks.

Last edited:
Disagree. he was beyond stupid with the ball in his hands.

Childress was supposed to be Crawford's mentor. Guess that didn't work out too well. Crawford and Moore were definitely the best we had last year.

Yes, the idea that Crawford and Moore are going to earn tax free money is silly. First of all, if they are lucky to earn 100k, they will most definitely spend the vast majority of it (if not all of it). If they earn more than 100k, they will get hammered with the double taxation. Brian Oliver (GT) had about a 10 year career overseas, and what he did was send every other check back to the US. He would live and pay all his taxes out of the first check, and then save the other check. Granted he was making really good coin, but that is what happens when you a two time all ACC player, MVP of the ACC tournament, and an early 2nd round pick. When you are none of those, and your team stunk in your 'leadership' year - it isn't going to garner a whole lot of enthusiasm from foreign teams to spend a bunch of money on you to be one of the 2 or 3 American players.

This is really beside the point, but the concept isn't that income is "tax free", it's that clubs pay your taxes. Whether or not that is true or still true or is only true in some circumstances is another question. If a deal is structured so that you get $100K net of taxes then your real income is more than $100K.
Also (and maybe this has changed), but you don't get "double taxed" you get taxed at the US rate less what was paid to the foreign government.

In most circumstances you can claim a foreign tax credit for foreign taxes paid on the same income you're paying us taxes on up to the US tax rate

you know your program is close to rock bottom when there's a lengthy discussion of tax rules on income earned abroad

Is this post for real? If so, this may be one of the dumbest takes I have ever read.

Read carefully. The point is quite simple. We have lost our sense of community.

Beyond the coaches, our B ball players have few mentors on campus (academic support staff don’t count). They certainly have no connection to the general student body (some games attendance is about 30 total students not required to be there).

Thus, if the relationship with the coach/coaches disintegrates, they have no reason to stay. Disagree, sure, make a counter, sure, no worries. I mean have you not noticed the direction the school has gone under Hatch? Not good.

is this “take” any clearer?

This is really beside the point, but the concept isn't that income is "tax free", it's that clubs pay your taxes. Whether or not that is true or still true or is only true in some circumstances is another question. If a deal is structured so that you get $100K net of taxes then your real income is more than $100K.
Also (and maybe this has changed), but you don't get "double taxed" you get taxed at the US rate less what was paid to the foreign government.

The team paying your taxes is just a shell game. I am not certain of the second part, I just knew about the approximate $100k exclusion. I haven't earned over $100,000 on foreign soil yet. Don't quite have hotels over there that I have never seen. Not that big time.

Just like you don't want to educate our student athletes?

7787f052148e5fd055748cbb3c95b473.jpg

I think their problem was with Manning but I am willing to listen to the Wake culture argument. What about ther Wake culture offended them?

Doesn't seem like Wake culture has affected football, tennis, women's golf, etc.

Read carefully. The point is quite simple. We have lost our sense of community.

Beyond the coaches, our B ball players have few mentors on campus (academic support staff don’t count). They certainly have no connection to the general student body (some games attendance is about 30 total students not required to be there).

Thus, if the relationship with the coach/coaches disintegrates, they have no reason to stay. Disagree, sure, make a counter, sure, no worries. I mean have you not noticed the direction the school has gone under Hatch? Not good.

is this “take” any clearer?

sure, we've heard this take a billion times. a Boomer talking about reaping the benefits of the Greatest Generation and blaming millennials for what came after

It’s like none of you have played on a team that wasn’t good while over inflating your abilities as not to take any responsibility for how bad the team is doing. The take away is it is no longer fun, if something’s not much fun, lots of work, and things aren’t getting better why not leave.

The team paying your taxes is just a shell game.

To an extent, but it's significant to note when folks are talking about salaries and trying to compare playing Euro ball to playing G league.

It’s like none of you have played on a team that wasn’t good while over inflating your abilities as not to take any responsibility for how bad the team is doing. The take away is it is no longer fun, if something’s not much fun, lots of work, and things aren’t getting better why not leave.

that's why God made Blue Shells

We need an AD with balls. Wellman made two horrible hires. That is forgivable. Nothing wrong with making mistakes. The problem is not handling the mistake aggressively.

BZ should have been gone after no later than 2 years. He was obviously a terrible fit from day 1. Manning was better and had some good attributes but had much to learn. After 4 years, there was little question that he was not capable of succeeding at this level at this time. He should have been gone after 4 years.

The error of not fixing the problems that he created was much less forgivable. Wake would have survived 2 years of BZ. You could even throw in 4 years of a Manning type coach and survive. The failure to act has caused a lost decade and realistically probably a decade and a half.

It is crazy that the eunuch still has a job. Reflects very poorly on the university as a whole.

Back