• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

I cant get over the stupidity of these decisions by Doral and Craw. Get your degrees and then go play in Europe. One extra year of 70-100K in Europe is not going to offset a degree from a T25 Univ vs no degree. It's not even close.

That being said, both Doral and Craw were both pretty flawed players. Doral was getting better, Craw probably was going backwards.

I am not ready to say the sky is falling. We still will have on paper the highest ranked top 3 options (Brown, Hoard & Mucius) that we have had since Aminu, Teague and Johnson.

Let's also remember that the formula du jour for all the top programs is play freshman and win with them.

The thing that hurts most for me right now is Mitchell. Gotta wonder if he knew that Doral and Craw were gone. He would play big minutes next year.

CMM and Craw were probably the most frustrating 'good' players to watch since ROK.

I am psyched to watch the first Wake team in 10 years that will field a 5star and two solid 4stars.

I cant get over the stupidity of these decisions by Doral and Craw. Get your degrees and then go play in Europe. One extra year of 70-100K in Europe is not going to offset a degree from a T25 Univ vs no degree. It's not even close.

That being said, both Doral and Craw were both pretty flawed players. Doral was getting better, Craw probably was going backwards.

I am not ready to say the sky is falling. We still will have on paper the highest ranked top 3 options (Brown, Hoard & Mucius) that we have had since Aminu, Teague and Johnson.

Let's also remember that the formula du jour for all the top programs is play freshman and win with them.

The thing that hurts most for me right now is Mitchell. Gotta wonder if he knew that Doral and Craw were gone. He would play big minutes next year.

CMM and Craw were probably the most frustrating 'good' players to watch since ROK.

I am psyched to watch the first Wake team in 10 years that will field a 5star and two solid 4stars.

Wow. I haven't agreed with you in forever. But this is where I am as well.

All three of our returning seniors left the program with no realistic NBA aspirations and people are still acting like they weren’t leaving a sinking ship. No matter how much you like the returning crew, you’ve got to factor in the captain.

All three of our returning seniors left the program with no realistic NBA aspirations and people are still acting like they weren’t leaving a sinking ship. No matter how much you like the returning crew, you’ve got to factor in the captain.

One of those is not like the other two. He is planning to attend another university and work toward a graduate degree, paid for by his ability to play basketball. He did not flirt with the NBA on search for the next stop in his athletic/academic career. He went directly into graduate school after earning his college diploma. He is doing what many have advocated for college basketball players who are not NBA prospects. Get a college degree. Prepare for life after basketball. Key is doing that. Just not at Wake.

There are 52 schools this year that had four or more transfers (including Wake). Doesn't factor in Moore/Mitchell since they went pro, but I'd have to review how early entrants impact the other programs, as well to keep it a consistent comparison. Some good schools on that list, not all bottom-feeder programs. The college basketball transfer landscape is drastically different in 2018 than it was even as recently as 2008.

One of those is not like the other two. He is planning to attend another university and work toward a graduate degree, paid for by his ability to play basketball. He did not flirt with the NBA on search for the next stop in his athletic/academic career. He went directly into graduate school after earning his college diploma. He is doing what many have advocated for college basketball players who are not NBA prospects. Get a college degree. Prepare for life after basketball. Key is doing that. Just not at Wake.

Yeah, but why didn't he do that at Wake? Considering the immeasurable value of a Wake education and all.

Wake had three voluntary transfers, two of them undergraduates:
Donovan Mitchell
Richard Washington
One grad:
Keyshawn Woods
One involuntary transfer:
Sam Japhet-Mathias
Two turn pro before finishing college eligibility:
Bryant Crawford
Doral Moore.

Yeah, but why didn't he do that at Wake? Considering the immeasurable value of a Wake education and all.

Wake's strength is undergraduate education. Key finished that at Wake. A large state school that is part of the Association of American Universities offers greater grad school options. Almost all the B1G schools are members. Only 5 ACC schools belong. Wake isn't one of them.

This one extra year for Manning, that many claim he was owed, likely costs us 2-3 years on the rebuild and puts us in a worse hiring position. And that's only if Wellman is smart enough to can him after the season ends. The lost decade+ that many were afraid of early during the Manning era is now upon us.

What's the ETA on the FBI hammer possibly coming down? As in, how likely will it be that a ton of more appealing programs are going to be looking for up-and-coming coaches who might've otherwise considered Wake?

What's the ETA on the FBI hammer possibly coming down? As in, how likely will it be that a ton of more appealing programs are going to be looking for up-and-coming coaches who might've otherwise considered Wake?

In Y2 of [Redacted], even before the FBI probe came along, I've been thinking along those lines. There are some hall of fame coaches that are nearing the end of their careers. Those teams will either take a dip or make a great hire. Now is the time for Wake to establish itself with an excellent coach. But instead, we've hired, and then kept around too long, 2 duds (3 if you count the unadvised hiring of Dino rather than naming him interim). We are screwing around when we should be poised in the Top 25, with a shot at jumping into the elite tier should the right combination of coaches retire and the FBI probe harm the right programs. 10 years will have soon gone by without a prayer at competing in our own conference, much less nationally.

scoop

RE #3 - It's wrong to include Crawford with Key and Wilbekin in bad D. His D was fine.

RE#9 - This is another board myth and knee jerk reaction. Yes, Bryant made boneheaded plays. Yes, he made more TOs than we'd like. But the way people talk about it here, you'd think he made 6-8TOs/game. He actually made 3.3. Markell Johnson made 3.2. Duval 2.8. Pinson made 2.4. I could go on and on. Hell, in almost 20% less PT and less control of the ball, Brandon made 2 TO/game. If Brandon simply played the same amount of minutes, he'd project less than one fewer TOs/game. If you added the amount of time controlling the offense, that number would close even more.
I'm not saying Bryant shouldn't have valued the ball more. I am saying it wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as this board makes it out to be.

Bullshit

sure his avg may be 3.3....but there WERE games where he had 6-8 turnovers and cost us the game..like tenn this year for instance..im not too disappointed bryant is leaving, more worried about lack of depth. i wanted bryant gone all season actually

Bullshit

sure his avg may be 3.3....but there WERE games where he had 6-8 turnovers and cost us the game..like tenn this year for instance..im not too disappointed bryant is leaving, more worried about lack of depth. i wanted bryant gone all season actually

Then there were games 0 or 1 TO, but that would ruin your rant. You'd rather have us lose than have a chance.

Crawford cost us about 5 or 6 games last year with idiotic play during the last 4 minutes of games. His attitude was horrible for 3 years. Good riddance and don’t come back. Ever.

Crawford cost us about 5 or 6 games last year with idiotic play during the last 4 minutes of games. His attitude was horrible for 3 years. Good riddance and don’t come back. Ever.

He took half the team with him. So, that will show them!!

This guy really hates point guards.

Then there were games 0 or 1 TO, but that would ruin your rant. You'd rather have us lose than have a chance.

yet we still lost...he was the "leader" if of a crap team that let his attitude take over his play at critical moments. not what you need from a pg. and no, i want to win, which is why im glad bryant isn't our pg anymore

TAB and jaybone leading the Sunshine Brigade.

Wow. If I am sunshine, we are in a dark place. My narrative has been more about what needs to happen to change coaches to make things better. We changed coaches 4 years ago. Things go incrementally better. At this rate of positive upward mobility, we will be top 20 by 2084. Wellman will be 130 by then.

70 is a very good year to retire, or to at least concentrate your efforts on facilities and fund raising. Coaching hires should not be part of the job description. Until that happens, I have a hard time seeing the point. Not necessarily because Wellman couldn't find a good coach at the basketball HOF. I would imagine he could identify several quality candidates. And then they would promptly turn him down for a number of reasons. I wouldn't take a job to go work for someone within a rocks throw of retirement. I just wouldn't. I would imagine others would come to the same conclusion.

The said thing is I could imagine Shaka Smart over in Austin Texas wondering what could have been himself - going toe to toe against coaching legends 6+ games per season. Instead of just Bill Self.
#Sad

Back