• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

Bingo. It just seems like there has been a cultural shift where no one really wants to be the Senior on a basketball team.

there has no doubt been a shift, but our best season of the past 8 ended at the hands of some old dudes playing basketball for Virginia Tech and Kansas State

last year Brad Bronwell at Clemson improved to 9-1 vs. Wake Forest

those three schools will again have senior leadership next year - and those are not exactly traditional basketball powers

If everyone returned (or even just Moore and Craw), we would have started 4- 4* and one 5* player, to think we wouldn't have had a really good season is simply being illogical.

LOL. Even with everyone returning, the idea that we would have had a "really good season" is anything but a logical certainty. The most optimistic among us were thinking we might make the tournament.

LOL. Even with everyone returning, the idea that we would have had a "really good season" is anything but a logical certainty. The most optimistic among us were thinking we might make the tournament.
RJ really struggles with nuance.

There are still plenty of seniors out there who get playing time for good teams. Seems like the players who leave are either seniors who wouldn't play for good teams and want to get run somewhere or seniors who would play for bad teams or bad coaches and they don't want to waste a year. "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'."

So when people make bad decisions, why assume they’re just idiots who made bad decision instead of consider that they aren’t bad decisions given the situation?

Jumping out of a window is a bad decision. Jumping out of a window because a building is on fire is not. If you don’t see the building on fire and feel the heat, it’s on you, not them.

I guess the premise is that Manning is either a major a-hole or its terribly painful to play on a team that is not winning--either way, better to cut and run to g-league or overseas. Hard to argue that this is not factoring into the decision. Its certainly common for people to feel like grass is greener elsewhere. I know tons of people who couldn't wait to get out of college so they didn't need to take test or write papers and actually had money etc. Of course, most of them find out that real life has its own challenges. Crawford may end up on a winning team in a sweet city and live a charmed couple of years. But, could also end up on losing team in crappy city, surrounding by guys trying to take his job from him. I wonder how many players look back fondly on the time they were in college playing in large arenas on national TV, regularly getting press etc. The moment they go to G-leave or overseas that all stops. Nobody knows or cares. I wonder how that feels for this new generation that has had national social media exposure from early high school. Part of my incredulity of this decision is my own personal bias, that I would much prefer to live in campus housing playing in the ACC for a year being a college "star" than hustling overseas for a salary that basically pays the bills. The latter is just something I would do when I'm faced with real world and need somewhere to live and something to eat.

And you struggle with reality and basketball. I know your hate and ignorance blur any vision you could have, but it would have been indisputable that with Bryant (or Bryant and Doral), Wake would have had its most talented team in the past eight seasons.

My bad, seeing anything but doom is impossible for you and certain others.

Good post, pdx. I don't remember seeing an article written by or about a player who left early and had a career in Europe or elsewhere in which the player said he wishes he stayed in school.

Are you being sarcastic?

If not give RJ a break. There are many people who disagree with him all the time that have nothing to do with the "usual suspects collective". Clearly you don't understand the concept.

My guess is Ayo has a picture of Jerry Sandusky on the ceiling of his bedroom and jerks off to it every night. That goes along with having one butt cheek with "Free Jerry" as a tattoo and "Property of Jerry Sandusky" on the other one.

He probably has a transcript of the trial on his night stand that's highlighted to give him tips.

And you struggle with reality and basketball. I know your hate and ignorance blur any vision you could have, but it would have been indisputable that with Bryant (or Bryant and Doral), Wake would have had its most talented team in the past eight seasons.

My bad, seeing anything but doom is impossible for you and certain others.
That's not what you originally said.

It isn't "illogical" to not think a team that went 11-20 last year will win 23 or more games next season (my definition of a "really good season"). Nuance, Rick.

The result of having massively more talent and experience is a good season.

Stop having your ignorant, Pavlovian responses.

The result of having massively more talent and experience is a good season.

Those are factors that may potentially contribute to a good season. Stop having your ignorant RJ responses.

If everyone returned (or even just Moore and Craw), we would have started 4- 4* and one 5* player, to think we wouldn't have had a really good season is simply being illogical. By having another good season, Bryant could have gotten drafted or at least made the G League. Even without Doral, Bryant would have been featured. No one will see him overseas.

By not listening to NBA execs, Bryant will have to explode in Europe or China to even get a look that he would have gotten after the upcoming season. Very simply, if he's not in the top Spanish, Turkish, Israeli or Italian league, he will be out of sight, out of mind and a malcontent.

That's the definition of a bad decision.

In 2010-2011 (8-24 overall, 1-15 ACC), we had 5-4*'s and one 5* player.

If everyone returned (or even just Moore and Craw), we would have started 4- 4* and one 5* player, to think we wouldn't have had a really good season is simply being illogical. By having another good season, Bryant could have gotten drafted or at least made the G League. Even without Doral, Bryant would have been featured. No one will see him overseas.

By not listening to NBA execs, Bryant will have to explode in Europe or China to even get a look that he would have gotten after the upcoming season. Very simply, if he's not in the top Spanish, Turkish, Israeli or Italian league, he will be out of sight, out of mind and a malcontent.

That's the definition of a bad decision.

I am not talking about team success, I am talking about Crawford's probability of getting into the NBA at any point in the future. It is extremely low, now or next year and there is a high probably that that won't change regardless of team success. I bet Crawford actually did listen to NBA executives who probably told him something like 'you're not getting drafted and there isn't much you can to do to improve your chances next year either...go to Europe and have some fun for a decade.'

I seriously doubt GMs are telling players who aren't going to play in the NBA to drop out of college and play in Europe. It's just a bad idea. They don't want to piss off college coaches from whom they regularly get inside info.

I seriously doubt GMs are telling players who aren't going to play in the NBA to drop out of college and play in Europe. It's just a bad idea. They don't want to piss off college coaches from whom they regularly get inside info.

Fine, the part about Europe was form an agent.

No. It was clear the first time I just thought it might have been sarcasm because it was so dumb. Clearly, you’re being serious that the problem we’re having in keeping players is because we don’t have as many “good ole NC boys” on campus now.

Yep, I am sure if you polled all the top 100 basketball players in the country as to what would make them decide to stay in school v leaving early their answer would be if the school had a bunch of rednecks from NC.

Our student section is empty because we suck. Becoming a more national school and less of a southern regional school has nothing to do with our program sucking. Clearly, you don’t like it for your own personal reasons. But, to attribute that to the failure of our basketball team over the last 8 years is completely absurd.

Ah yes, I now see how my original post looks bad - with the good 'ole boy reference. Your response had some merit, minus the 'dumb' personal anger/attacks.

It's hard to describe or type real examples because you have clearly misunderstood what I meant - that does not make you dumb - just me a bad typist or poster perhaps? What I meant by that is there always seemed to be a handful of NC residents, with ties to NC (family) not rednecks, not racists at all, just regular guys from NC, who loved college hoops. Good ole boy is not the best way to explain that - my bad. I don't have any female points of reference, but do from middle/high school. NC residents are kind of like Kentucky residents - you can tell a difference with respect to hoops.

And you could sense these faculty really, really appreciated the players. That's all I am saying. I think we may have lost some of that as we have recruited new (more elite) faculty.

I recall 1-2 in communications actually trying to connect with the players, before and after class. Not in a jock sniffing way, more like sincere interest in the players. My original point, which I obviously did not explain well is I question if we have any of that going on for the athletes and perhaps the students in general. It seems like wake is a 65K per year uber-competitive career factory with little mentoring and connections between faculty and student athletes, and perhaps students general - our sense of community. Just question that part of our "culture." Not sure it really exists the way I witnessed.

As for the southern regional stuff, I don't think students turned out for our non-sucking football program last year. Sure they will be at the ND game this year, but once we are not sucking at 6-4 in November hosting Pittsburgh with a shot at 8-4 and then 9-4 - they will not show up (unless we are 8-2 or 9-1). We will not be sucking. And we will blame it on Thanksgiving or whatever. Basketball is toast, since even a top-20 team will not draw how we have in the past. I think donaldross may be onto something.

Feel free to call all this drivel or "dumb" or whatever, all you like :) I typically stay cordial with fellow Deacs :)

LOL. Ordinarily I wouldn’t mind being #2 on a list with Nova at #1 and Louisville at #4.

LOL. Ordinarily I wouldn’t mind being #2 on a list with Nova at #1 and Louisville at #4.

That one is one you don't want to be one, even with those two keeping you company.

Back