• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

Is it really that dumb? He's not developing next year on a bad team so i don't think there is anything about one more year at Wake under a below-average coach that helps his professional stock. It's also not like he's staying to play for any kind of championship.

So he leaves early, gets a 6-figure paycheck earlier and tries to make a career playing hoops. I don't think having a degree really matters to Crawford, nor should it. It's probably most important to get the extra year of earnings.

We wouldn't have been a bad team with the addition of better players. Plus, he will featured on a team that has a potential one and done. He could get drafted next year.

There's no guarantee I can see that he will get a contract worth anywhere near $100,000. Not that many leagues pay unknown foreigners that much. It also all but ensures he won't play in the NBA. Very, very few collegians who leave at his point ever return to the NBA.

At some point, people are going to stop paying you to play basketball. It comes earlier for some than others. What do you do then?

You come back and finish up your degree online or at a local school and then you go to the interview and tell them about how you played basketball all over the world. Most guys want to be gym teachers or assistsant coaches anyway so they're getting great experience. Even Sidney lowe had to finish a degree after his playing days were over it'sno big deal.

I certainly can't defend Manning at the moment because the program looks in tatters. There are many reasons, lack of conference and post season success, players leaving early, etc. But I'd like to remind everyone that the cause of these events is still pure speculation until more specifics become known facts. The idea that players hate playing for Manning seems no more valid than the idea that players hate going to class at Wake, got homesick, wanted to play more than they might in the ACC, listened to bad advice or simply want to make some money if they can. I'm not saying that I know exactly what's causing the problems, but I am wondering whether changing the coach is the only solution. I will say that while it "hurts" that Crawford decided not to come back, I'm actually ok with it because we are obviously in a rebuild mode anyway. Crawford has already shown us he's not capable of being the guy who carries you while you build around him. Sadly, the biggest reason we wanted him back was because we knew what he was and couldn't envision someone else we don't know yet being better, not because we thought he would be better. We don't know what have for the upcoming season except for Brandon Childress. I for one will remain optimistic for that reason alone. Doesn't hurt me or anyone else to wait and see.

last season Crawford could not have been any more careless with the basketball

scoring, sure, unpredictably, but passing and turnovers - terrible

last season Crawford could not have been any more careless with the basketball

scoring, sure, unpredictably, but passing and turnovers - terrible

I grant you Bryant had an off year, but he committed only 1 more TO/game than as a soph and .2/game less than as a frosh. I realize actual numbers don't matter unless they prove a poster's point, but those are the real numbers.

At some point, people are going to stop paying you to play basketball. It comes earlier for some than others. What do you do then?

You either take some of your tax-free earnings and finish a degree. Or you do something basketball-related like coaching that doesn't really require a degree. Either way, when the basketball career is over he's taking a substantial pay cut whether he has a degree or not.

These guys are making purely financial decisions. They want to get paid, and school or team loyalty is a very distant 2nd priority. It's disappointing as a fan but i don't fault the logic.

agree that Crawford didn't have a terrible year from a turnover perspective. this is a terrible year...

We are approaching a whole decade of suckiness. It's difficult to fathom how Wellman is still permitted to have control at this point.

I certainly can't defend Manning at the moment because the program looks in tatters. There are many reasons, lack of conference and post season success, players leaving early, etc. But I'd like to remind everyone that the cause of these events is still pure speculation until more specifics become known facts. The idea that players hate playing for Manning seems no more valid than the idea that players hate going to class at Wake, got homesick, wanted to play more than they might in the ACC, listened to bad advice or simply want to make some money if they can. I'm not saying that I know exactly what's causing the problems, but I am wondering whether changing the coach is the only solution. I will say that while it "hurts" that Crawford decided not to come back, I'm actually ok with it because we are obviously in a rebuild mode anyway. Crawford has already shown us he's not capable of being the guy who carries you while you build around him. Sadly, the biggest reason we wanted him back was because we knew what he was and couldn't envision someone else we don't know yet being better, not because we thought he would be better. We don't know what have for the upcoming season except for Brandon Childress. I for one will remain optimistic for that reason alone. Doesn't hurt me or anyone else to wait and see.

Rebuild implies something was previously built. And, yes, it absolutely "hurts" for everyone to "wait and see".

Anyone who thought this scenario would play out another way hasn't been a Wake fan for long.

Massive defections that defy reason. Could be anything. Probably just don't care for the weather in Winston.

No indictment on the program at all. Couldn't be happier. Heavens yes.

Does this mean Bilastrator Junior gets some real minutes next year?

I will say that while it "hurts" that Crawford decided not to come back, I'm actually ok with it because we are obviously in a rebuild mode anyway.

Wait, I thought we were AHEAD of schedule in Y3 when we were one of the last invites to the tournament? Turns out that we are just in rebuild mode now heading into Y5? I can't keep up with the narrative. Please help.

Doesn't hurt me or anyone else to wait and see.

If the last eight seasons haven't hurt, I'm not sure what you're doing around here. I guess it's easy to be optimistic when you don't really care.

Back