• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

What this bloated Wake Forest administration fails to comprehend is that there are 2 revenue generating sports in college, football and basketball. All other sports are not revenue generating, and thus require the university to take a loss, possibly break even, when running them.

While it might be nice to say hey look we have this soccer trophy, and this golf trophy, and this tennis trophy, and this squirrel hunting trophy, at the end of the day they have potentially lost the university money to accumulate. Meanwhile the cost of attendance is amongst the highest of any university in the world, and continually shoots up without adding to the schools endowment. Losing in revenue generating sports creates a vacuum where money could be going in to the school to pay for that shiny 1st place trophy in one-legged relay frog racing, but instead adds to the already poor ROI of Wake Forest for the new students. Money has to come from somewhere, and you think Hatch and Wellman are taking a paycut? No way! So this decade of losing has lead to an empty LJVM with no hopes of keeping season ticket holders around. Now we are paying for an empty stadium instead of using it to pay for the successful athletes in non-revenue sports. We should be doing things to add to the endowment. In case anyone doesn't know endowment per student is most directly correlated with success/prestige/everything good about a university. Ivy league endownments, Duke endowments, etc. all better than Wake.

For an AD that claims to understand business he has failed this miserably. You took the one program that could sell out home games and next year it will be a ghost town. Have fun offsetting the losses of revenue from somewhere else, maybe that will get this screw up fired by the BOT.

You either take some of your tax-free earnings and finish a degree. Or you do something basketball-related like coaching that doesn't really require a degree. Either way, when the basketball career is over he's taking a substantial pay cut whether he has a degree or not.

These guys are making purely financial decisions. They want to get paid, and school or team loyalty is a very distant 2nd priority. It's disappointing as a fan but i don't fault the logic.

If you don't fault the logic then you are just as dumb as they are.

Our players do not like playing for Wake Forest. We must make massive overhauls. This is institutional. Bad gym. Bad Coach. Bad AD. We must start over.

We must begin a rebuilding plan designed to win by 2025.

A massive plan like that would at least give us a reason to bother paying attention going forward. Is there any actual momentum among the powers that be to implement such a plan yet?

What this bloated Wake Forest administration fails to comprehend is that there are 2 revenue generating sports in college, football and basketball. All other sports are not revenue generating, and thus require the university to take a loss, possibly break even, when running them.

While it might be nice to say hey look we have this soccer trophy, and this golf trophy, and this tennis trophy, and this squirrel hunting trophy, at the end of the day they have potentially lost the university money to accumulate. Meanwhile the cost of attendance is amongst the highest of any university in the world, and continually shoots up without adding to the schools endowment. Losing in revenue generating sports creates a vacuum where money could be going in to the school to pay for that shiny 1st place trophy in one-legged relay frog racing, but instead adds to the already poor ROI of Wake Forest for the new students. Money has to come from somewhere, and you think Hatch and Wellman are taking a paycut? No way! So this decade of losing has lead to an empty LJVM with no hopes of keeping season ticket holders around. Now we are paying for an empty stadium instead of using it to pay for the successful athletes in non-revenue sports. We should be doing things to add to the endowment. In case anyone doesn't know endowment per student is most directly correlated with success/prestige/everything good about a university. Ivy league endownments, Duke endowments, etc. all better than Wake.

For an AD that claims to understand business he has failed this miserably. You took the one program that could sell out home games and next year it will be a ghost town. Have fun offsetting the losses of revenue from somewhere else, maybe that will get this screw up fired by the BOT.

I don't think you understand sports. Somebody wins and somebody loses so there's only so many wins you can get. Everybody wants to get the wins. It's a zero-some (0-some) game. Somebody has to lose and right now it's Wake Forest.

How Dave Clawson continues to work for this fucking moron we call an AD is beyond me. I just thank God that he does.

Wrangor had us in 2 of the next 3 sweet 16s. lol

We really should hire Wes Miller this afternoon.

Bad decisions all around. Wellman's first was not having the guts to say he made a mistake hiring the egotistical Manning and his second was not talking to the team before talking to Manning, the third was not firing Manning's ass and actually hiring a coach who has shown he can coach a D1 basketball team. Crawford and Moore should have sought an audience with his highness Wellman and informed if the dumpster fire that Manning has created and told the AD to do something. When Wellman refused ( his ego is as big as Manning's) then just go-- no drama. But leaving Manning in place, just will prolong the fiasco that Wake basketball has become. It looks so much worse when compared to Football and now Tennis. Find a good coach and do it now!

How Dave Clawson continues to work for this fucking moron we call an AD is beyond me. I just thank God that he does.

Got lucky he was coaching at Ron's alma mater and in his beloved MAC and Ohio

It is when, with a little work and patience, that 21 yo could be a 22 yo getting paid to play basketball with a prestigious diploma in his back pocket. And when that same 21 yo will likely be a 26 yo with no diploma and no one willing to pay him to play basketball anymore.

of course YOU think that is a better decision, but it isn't yours to make. you have no idea what his and his family's situation is, and why he may want to become a professional athlete now as opposed to in a year, even though that would appear to be the smart route for other observers. i'd venture a guess that wake forest university will still be around in 2023 if he wants to come back and finish up then, too.

I'm not sure if we give "lifetime scholarships" as some schools do. If we don't, he'd had to pay the $70K to get the degree. There are very, very few leagues where he could make enough to save that amount of money in 3-4 years.

I don't think you understand sports. Somebody wins and somebody loses so there's only so many wins you can get. Everybody wants to get the wins. It's a zero-some (0-some) game. Somebody has to lose and right now it's Wake Forest.

Your lack of education in response to my post is abundantly clear. This post is about revenue generating sports vs non-revenue generating and why you should never sacrifice a revenue generating sport while focusing on non-revenue sport success.

Estonian_forest_reasons_to_visit_Sven_Zacek.jpg

of course YOU think that is a better decision, but it isn't yours to make. you have no idea what his and his family's situation is, and why he may want to become a professional athlete now as opposed to in a year, even though that would appear to be the smart route for other observers. i'd venture a guess that wake forest university will still be around in 2023 if he wants to come back and finish up then, too.

You are correct - I don't know his motivations. But I don't need to know his motivations to recognize an objectively bad decision when I see one. The only things that would make this make sense would be (i) if he is flunking out or otherwise can't hack the academics so he wasn't going to get his degree anyway, or (ii) his family situation warrants it for some reason. Absent those factors, it is a dumb decision. And in 2023 he will be doing it on his own at a time in his life when he will have other obligations and responsibilities - so it will be exponentially tougher.

Why don't you explain why we're all so dumb and actually critique the argument

Well, I think you are pretty much the only person who thinks it makes sense - besides maybe that Tricky person - so I don't really think I need to explain it.

Back