• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford Hiring An Agent, Staying in Draft

In fairness, things are in pretty good shape other than our flagship basketball program. And I'm no Wellman fan.

In fairness, the Hindenburg pilot had a good safety record, other than that major disaster...

There’s all kinds of overestimating here. People are valuing a Wake degree through their eyes where they earn entry into Wake through academic merit, used that to propel themselves to hopefully high earning career potential. These are athletes that academically are far removed from Wake credentials that came to use Wake to hopefully go propel themselves towards a career playing basketball.

I feel like this is actually a good thing... I know i am in the minority with this thinking. I even said during this past season that we need addition by subtraction. I wasn't thinking of Moore leaving, though! Losing Moore really hurts, but BCs decision will actually make us better, IMO.

If we're doing addition by subtraction then let's subtract out the entire coaching staff. That would be a good addition to the program.

There’s all kinds of overestimating here. People are valuing a Wake degree through their eyes where they earn entry into Wake through academic merit, used that to propel themselves to hopefully high earning career potential. These are athletes that academically are far removed from Wake credentials that came to use Wake to hopefully go propel themselves towards a career playing basketball.

Whatever you think of Wake Forest, any degree >>>> no degree when it comes to earning potential.

Whatever you think of Wake Forest, any degree >>>> no degree when it comes to earning potential.

true

then again, Crawford will almost certainly make more money next year than, for example, a high school principal with 20 years experience

and there is a limited window in which Crawford will make peak money

also, I disagree that at this point Crawford would be likely to improve his basketball earnings potential at WF; he pretty much is who he will be at this point as a basketball player

I grant you Bryant had an off year, but he committed only 1 more TO/game than as a soph and .2/game less than as a frosh. I realize actual numbers don't matter unless they prove a poster's point, but those are the real numbers.

RJKarl the official ambassador for stats everywhere basketball is played!

Wake Forest basketball is going to suck for at least two more years minimum. Now is the time to be making major changes to the program. A great year to play games in Reynolds Gym & Greensboro & rip down the Joel. A great year to get in Wes Miller or Pat Kelsey at 400K.

We have to rip the band aid off and start over. We need leadership.

we need Wake the Nation to win that tournament thing and get us some seed money for that sweet new stadium

people severely over-estimating a wake bachelor's degree WRT to mid-tier collegiate athletes post sport career

people are severely over-estimating a "degree" - wake or not. skills make money not a degree. see the trillion of debt in student loans. many of "degree" having baristas at your local coffee shop. for better or worse, crawford and moore are basketball players. that is their skill. they didn't come to wake to major in old mother where art thou crap. they came to play basketball in the ACC. staying another year on a team that may go 12-18 (if they were lucky) is not going to improve their future earning potential.

I for one am glad Crawford is gone. Let us not forget all of the woeful WOEFUL decisions of this past year(s): stupid turnovers, flexing while your team is down 20, just general immaturity. Imagine the impact he had on the locker room. Yes yes I know, we will miss his scoring, etc but I'm glad this team has a fresh start. We'll be crazy young but it is what it is. Losing Moore's defense and rebounding was more impactful in my opinion. We'll lose a lot of games this year probably but at least our starting five won't quit on games like Crawford or Woods were prone to do.

Same.

Losing Moore sucks big league but Crawford is nothing more than an average to above average ACC player, who ends up being a net negative to his team for a multitude of other reasons. Losing Craw and Key will help the teams chemistry.

Will we suck next year? Probably. Is that Danny's fault? Yes.

people are severely over-estimating a "degree" - wake or not. skills make money not a degree. see the trillion of debt in student loans. many of "degree" having baristas at your local coffee shop. for better or worse, crawford and moore are basketball players. that is their skill. they didn't come to wake to major in old mother where art thou crap. they came to play basketball in the ACC. staying another year on a team that may go 12-18 (if they were lucky) is not going to improve their future earning potential.

yeah but if both stayed they could have potentially really raised their professional prospects AND get a wake forest degree

something is broken with the system or wake forest if our guys are better off trying to play in obscure euro leagues than play their senior year and finish their degrees at wake forest

The problem is the Danny Manning is the worst bench coach we've ever had

There are many jobs that require a college degree as a minimum requirement, including coaching at educational institutions. Maybe these guys are awesome with their money and end up owning businesses. I have no idea. But the paychecks for playing eventually end. People aren't going to live off Euro league money for the rest of their lives.

Back