• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Pardons

Come on now. We're going to set the dangerous president of voiding bribe induced pardons? Slippery slope. I say we just all forget about this teeny tiny little speed bump in 'Murica... I mean American history and just come together and move on. If we can see it in ourselves to forget the insurrection and its creators and enablers we'll be able to heal our nation while the gop licks its wounds and finds an even more diabolical and charismatic leader to carry the tiki torch for them.

Trump says he needs $2B for his "presidential library".

I bet he's promising to spend at least $50,000 of it on the building and contents.

Joe Exotic of Tiger King fame is confident he's getting a pardon today.

Along those lines doesn't he have to put in the presidential record? Wouldn't a FOIA request show what he did?

I'm curious about this as well. How would a secret pardon work? It has to documented somewhere. Right?

haha...

that would be really funny, but i expect he will pardon them.

Trump’s pardons would at least have to be communicated with the department of corrections.

Only for people who are presently incarcerated.

There is no requirement in the Constitution that pardons be public. Trump could write out the terms of a pardon, sign it, and give it to the recipient, and the recipient could put it in a safe and pull it out as a complete defense if indicted by the DOJ.

Frankly, I would expect Trump to do this for his family and himself and then have someone "leak" to the media that he isn't giving one to his family to avoid scrutiny and, as to himself, to avoid conviction at an impeachment trial and to not look like he is daring Biden's DOJ to prosecute him.

Only for people who are presently incarcerated.

There is no requirement in the Constitution that pardons be public. Trump could write out the terms of a pardon, sign it, and give it to the recipient, and the recipient could put it in a safe and pull it out as a complete defense if indicted by the DOJ.

Frankly, I would expect Trump to do this for his family and himself and then have someone "leak" to the media that he isn't giving one to his family to avoid scrutiny and, as to himself, to avoid conviction at an impeachment trial and to not look like he is daring Biden's DOJ to prosecute him.

Trump cannot pardon himself. it makes no sense that the constitution, and the founding fathers, would have ever allowed this. how would you keep a president from just running amuck with corruption if they could just do that at the end of their term. that will be shot down in court.

Trump cannot pardon himself. it makes no sense that the constitution, and the founding fathers, would have ever allowed this. how would you keep a president from just running amuck with corruption if they could just do that at the end of their term. that will be shot down in court.

i just read the exemptions to FOIA requests...that is a long haul for the trumps to prove that also.

I agree with you. But no court has ever decided the question, and I don't think Trump would let concerns over whether a self-pardon might or might not be valid stop him from giving himself a secret one.

Not saying Trump wouldn't try the secret pardon thing, but I think the Presidential Records Act would make them public at some point.

Not saying Trump wouldn't try the secret pardon thing, but I think the Presidential Records Act would make them public at some point.

even if not from the White House, won't there be a record for the individual's record reflecting the reason for their shortened sentence?

even if not from the White House, won't there be a record for the individual's record reflecting the reason for their shortened sentence?

Not if they are pardoned for crimes that they haven't been convicted of yet. This seems like something you could pass a simple law against, without amending the constitution?

No idea what backs this up, but the DOJ Office of the Pardon Attorney says presidential grants are a matter of public record.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/freq... grants are a matter,the Office of the Pardon

Presidential grants are a matter of public record, so immediately after Presidential action, the name of each person granted a pardon or commutation, along with the district they were convicted, year of sentencing, offense, and the date the President granted their request is publicly listed on the Office of the Pardon Attorney website. This information may also be posted on The White House website and included in press releases issued by the Department or The White House.
Moreover, in accordance with the ruling by the federal court of the District of Columbia in Lardner v. Department of Justice, 638 F.Supp.2d 14 (D.D.C. 2009), affirmed, Lardner v. United States Department of Justice, No. 09-5337, 2010 WL 4366062 (D.C. Cir. Oct. 28, 2010) (unpublished), the Office of the Pardon Attorney is obliged to release existing lists of the names of persons who have been denied executive clemency by the President to anyone who requests such records pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act. Given the frequency of such requests, the Office of the Pardon Attorney has started to proactively disclose the names of persons who have been denied executive clemency by the President on our website, in accordance with our Freedom of Information Act obligations.

None of this matters. Trump will grant what ever pardons he wants in what ever manner he wants and if, a big if, the pardons are ever challenged then some judge some where will have to decide if the are legit and the constitution gives the judge very little to go on.

Back