• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Pardons

So the foreperson had purportedly "negative" posts about Trump and/or Stone, and therefore Stone's lawyers are arguing that she had a bias. If only there was a system before impaneling a jury to ask them questions to determine if they may have a bias. And if only there was some way to view social media posts of people when you have their name.

Alas, the poor defense team was just left at the mercy of this woman.

So the foreperson had purportedly "negative" posts about Trump and/or Stone, and therefore Stone's lawyers are arguing that she had a bias. If only there was a system before impaneling a jury to ask them questions to determine if they may have a bias. And if only there was some way to view social media posts of people when you have their name.

Alas, the poor defense team was just left at the mercy of this woman.

It’s not hard for me to speculate that their plan all along was to call for a new trial after it was revealed that the foreperson was a never Trumper. Either that or they knew it would give Trump “cover” to pardon Stone after the trial, because he was treated so unfairly. It’s probably pretty obvious that Stone is guilty as fuck and the only way he is getting off is on some sort of technicality.

Clint Lorance had been in charge of his platoon for only three days when he ordered his men to kill three Afghans stopped on a dirt road.
A second-degree murder conviction and pardon followed.

Today, Lorance is hailed as a hero by President Trump.

His troops have suffered a very different fate.

Depression

Fatal car crash

Shooting death

Cancer

"The Cursed Platoon"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/clint-lorance-platoon-afghanistan/

The Afghan men were about 150 to 200 yards from the U.S. position when they were killed. To reach Lorance and his troops, they would have had to scale multiple shoulder-high mud walls.

Zach Thomas, who had been standing just yards from Lorance when he gave the order to fire, was driving to community college in 2017 when he heard Hannity talking about the Lorance case on the radio.

“My blood just started boiling,” he recalled.
Thomas had spent his last day in the Army testifying against his former platoon leader. He was just 18 when he left for Afghanistan, and like many in the unit, his return home had been difficult. He drank to blunt his PTSD and depression. Two of his sergeants were so worried about him that they let him move out of the barracks and spend his last two months living at their house. His plan after the Army was to forget about Afghanistan and start a new life in his hometown of Crosby, Tex.

“I’m a big fan, but y’all are being led the wrong way,” he told a producer for the show. “This isn’t some innocent guy.” The producer asked him if he knew about the biometric data Lorance’s lawyers had uncovered.
“I don’t know about any of that information, but I was there and these people were not enemy combatants,” he said. He could tell he wasn’t convincing the producer so he gave her McGuinness’s cellphone number and urged her to call him. She talked with McGuinness as well but never invited him on the show.

The 1st Platoon soldiers were still filtering home from Twist’s funeral when Pete Hegseth, a “Fox & Friends” co-anchor who had advocated on Lorance’s behalf, tweeted that Lorance’s pardon was “imminent.”
The actual release came two weeks later on Nov. 15.
“It’s done. It’s a political move,” one of the 1st Platoon soldiers wrote on the group’s private Facebook page. “Time to move on.”
Ayres, who had skipped all five of the platoon’s funerals, agreed. “Not worth any of our time,” he wrote. “What matters is that everyone that matters knows he is a piece of s---. Let’s move on and enjoy life.”

For McGuinness it wasn’t an option. He couldn’t bear the thought that Lorance was being hailed as a hero by Trump and others, while soldiers like Twist were being forgotten. “I’ve buried people that struggled with what happened, and whether through their own hands or their actions, they’re gone,” he said. “I’m not going to sit quietly while he gets paraded around and they’re not recognized.”

He texted with Gray, who wasn’t on Facebook.

Lucas Gray
gray-bio.png

Fuck it all. The one reprieve we had is gone.

Mike McGuinness
I feel so shitty right now.
mcguinness-bio.png

Lucas Gray
gray-bio.png

I'm going to drink until I can sleep.

Mike McGuinness
I might do the same.
mcguinness-bio.png

Others in the platoon argued on social media with pro-Trump friends, who insisted Lorance was innocent. "You realize I was f---ing THERE, right?" one soldier wrote to a fellow veteran. "Like you realize I was one of the godd--- WITNESSES who testified, right?!"

JFC, you can't commit crimes on behalf of the president, and then receive his clemency. That is not a constitutional republic, it's monarchy.

And don't get me started again on the Lorance pardon, that case is a year of my life I'll never get back.

Also, I went to whitehouse.gov to read the Stone clemency, and the only thing posted was a statement by the press secretary that sounds like it was written by an Infowars intern.

If Biden wins, can we make both parties swear to never cite WH precedent set from 2017-2020 for future administrations?

Trump's stank is going to be around for long enough in the Judiciary, already. Thanks, Mitch.

If Biden wins, can we make both parties swear to never cite WH precedent set from 2017-2020 for future administrations?

Trump's stank is going to be around for long enough in the Judiciary, already. Thanks, Mitch.

I'd imagine Republicans willingness to stick to that agreement will vary greatly based on who is in the White House.

p.s. I just can't see Trump riding a losing campaign until the bitter end, and then participating in a peaceful transfer of power.

I think the lack-of-a-crowd in Tulsa took a lot of wind out of his sails. He's known the polls are real. If his odds fall below 25% in prediction markets (about where he was when he accidentally won the presidency), I think there's a very real possibility that he rage quits & has Pence pardon his federal crimes while he flees to Desantis' land to host a batshit-crazy talk radio show. His true destiny.

I figured he'd hold onto the Stone pardon until he already had one foot out of the door. .... So, uh.... Hope I was right.

Even though I'd love to see Trump face the music if he loses in November, the better scenario might be for him to be pardoned by Pence as you say and start a Trump news network. Why? The existence of TrumpTV would either severely cripple Fox News, OAN, etc. or force them back to middle in their programming. Fox News would go to being right of center rather than far right with much of its programs. Since Fox News influences so many minds of our citizenry, it would be the better long term scenario for the country. TrumpTV gets its 10-15% of the public who either legitimately believe in conspiracy theories or just enjoy the entertainment.

Under that scenario, Fox News and OAN, etc would just go further to the right.

Back