• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's Pardons

JFC, you can't commit crimes on behalf of the president, and then receive his clemency. That is not a constitutional republic, it's monarchy.

And don't get me started again on the Lorance pardon, that case is a year of my life I'll never get back.

Isn’t that exactly what happened in the Scooter Libby case too?

Isn’t that exactly what happened in the Scooter Libby case too?

I agree the Libby clemency was bad, but (going off memory here) I think the distinction there was he was the fall guy for the VP in the Valerie Plame leak, when it’s most likely the VP was the one who leaked. W at least had some alleged plausible deniability.

I agree the Libby clemency was bad, but (going off memory here) I think the distinction there was he was the fall guy for the VP in the Valerie Plame leak, when it’s most likely the VP was the one who leaked. W at least had some alleged plausible deniability.

Aaaand I just looked it up, W commuted his prison sentence but Trump pardoned him in 2018. Crazy the stuff that gets lost in the noise.

Even though I'd love to see Trump face the music if he loses in November, the better scenario might be for him to be pardoned by Pence as you say and start a Trump news network. Why? The existence of TrumpTV would either severely cripple Fox News, OAN, etc. or force them back to middle in their programming. Fox News would go to being right of center rather than far right with much of its programs. Since Fox News influences so many minds of our citizenry, it would be the better long term scenario for the country. TrumpTV gets its 10-15% of the public who either legitimately believe in conspiracy theories or just enjoy the entertainment.

I have some vague memory that when I was in high school (1998-2002) Fox News was just right of center and that it’s current iteration was a not so gradual evolution. Am I misremembering?

I have some vague memory that when I was in high school (1998-2002) Fox News was just right of center and that it’s current iteration was a not so gradual evolution. Am I misremembering?

I remember it having a reputation as being simply "dumb", or more sensationalistic and loose with facts than the other cable shows, around that time frame. After 9/11 and in the lead-up to the Iraq war is when the right wing bias really started in earnest.

Romney again stands alone in his party, joins criticism of Trump commuting Stone’s sentence.

"An American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying to shield that very president," Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, tweeted Saturday morning, describing the move as "unprecedented, historic corruption."

We now have a detailed picture of Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. The special counsel’s office identified two principal operations directed at our election: hacking and dumping Clinton campaign emails, and an online social media campaign to disparage the Democratic candidate. We also identified numerous links between the Russian government and Trump campaign personnel — Stone among them. We did not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired with the Russian government in its activities. The investigation did, however, establish that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome. It also established that the campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts.

orben_nuance.png

No doubt the same scene is playing out in the homes of sailor, angus, catamount, bkf, and junebug. I can only imagine their joy right now. These are their guys.

I remember it having a reputation as being simply "dumb", or more sensationalistic and loose with facts than the other cable shows, around that time frame. After 9/11 and in the lead-up to the Iraq war is when the right wing bias really started in earnest.

That's about right. They jumped the shark with support of "freedom fries" and never looked back.

I hope it’s a posthumous pardon of Charles Manson. I’ll be in awe if he can get 38% of the country behind that one.

I hope it’s a posthumous pardon of Charles Manson. I’ll be in awe if he can get 38% of the country behind that one.

Well, Manson did have some good defenses, wasn't present for any of those murders and the prosecution's Helter Skelter theory was a pretty big leap.

The donald thinks he is pardoning her for helping get women the vote.

I can wait for his speech about how she carried water to the soldiers in the Revolutionary War.

Back