• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck I'm losing my individual workspace for the near future. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. At least I will only be joined by a half time grad student who could be hot? I'm already in an open cubicle where I feel exposed, now I will just feel cramped too.

Fuck I'm losing my individual workspace for the near future. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. At least I will only be joined by a half time grad student who could be hot? I'm already in an open cubicle where I feel exposed, now I will just feel cramped too.

Welcome to the next step in modern office design where private space is not allowed.

It is also so 1930's.

basement-office-space-amusing-design-office-space-that-would-be-great-yeah-if-you-could-go-ahead-and-move-your-desk-to-the-basement-thatd.jpg

They're definitely trying to send me a message. I'll continue to play dumb.

Gotta start sending out those apps, my man. I know it means possibly giving up the bungalow and the ex-girlfriend visits, but those carolina shits are taking advantage of you!

I'll sort something out maybe. No bites on any of the latest apps sent out. It's fine.

Like, there's a cool job in the Southern Folklife Collection. Two Preservation Audio Engineer spots. I'm not exactly super qualified, but I think they like me over there, so maybe they'd be willing to take a chance on me for one of them -- an easy hire that they know and like, and know will have an interest in the subject and project. But I'd probably have to take a 7k pay cut and it's time-limited with a max of 3 years. I just don't know. I'll try to talk to some guys over there, get an idea. They will also receive 100 applications for this gig with most of the people having Master's in either library science or digital archiving or audio preservation. Maybe I can swing it. Worth a shot.

Man, this fucking pisses me off.

I’m curious with all of the digital technology these days, why — other than providing shelter for the less fortunate — are we still spending millions of tax payer dollars in construction and maintenance of public libraries. It seems that the taxpayer money could be used for so many other things. Not trying to be insensitive, but am really curious what percentage of taxpayers use the public libraries these days.

Do you have to deal with asshats like this, El Chupe?

Yeah, it's a pretty common question when I meet people outside the library and tell them what I do. Kind of frustrating that the questions are framed mostly like this, and you are immediately put on the defensive trying to convince someone who has probably already made their mind up. Most people are sure they have all the answers already.

I mean, what have books ever done for us?

I wonder if those people have recently stepped foot in a public library.

I work at the public library 5 min from my house on days I don’t go to campus. It’s always packed. Like there are people waiting in the parking lot when it opens.

During the summer, there are a lot of summer reading activities, various other activities for kids. They sound proofed the children’s book section so kids can have as much fun as they want without being too loud for everyone else.

It’s between a middle school and elementary school. During the school year, it’s a safe place for kids to wait for their parents or just to hangout before walking home.

Plenty of people use the computers. There are a lot of kids who meet with tutors after school and even during the summer. College students studying and doing homework. A few people who just pull up their laptop and use WiFi we all pay for to play games or stream movies.

There are multiple meeting rooms. It’s free meeting spaces for HOA and CDD meetings. Local politicians hold community forums. All kids of organizations meet there. It’s a community hub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back