• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small towns are funny. I’m back home and an old friend invited my wife and I to a dinner party tonight to introduce us to some new people in town. On Friday, I went the new bakery. I chatted with the baker and a guy there recognized me and said he would be at the dinner party too. Today, I went to the new coffee shop to work. He was there. We chatted before I left and he introduced me to someone else who was there who will also be at the same dinner party. So I’ve already met and had conversations with two of the 3 or 4 people I am supposed to meet tonight.

And as I left the coffee shop, the same baker from Friday walked in.

Last edited:
She. And I’m pretty sure she does. Happily.

What's the top 3 things to consider when getting a mortgage on my first home? What's negotiable? Whats the best tactics to use? What should I watch out for?

Update: after about 40 hours of research, we went with Piedmont Federal. Their first time home buyer program is pretty damn unbeatable compared against everything else I've seen. For first time home buyers, you get:

-1 point free on interest rate. Bringing 4.5% down to 4.25%. My other quotes ranged anywhere from 4.5%-5.1% with option to buy down on points
-No PMI if you go 10% down at closing. All other companies required PMI up to 20% equity in the home or the option to buy out upfront/finance into the loan
-Appraisal fee is reimbursed at closing as well as credit check fee (roughly worth 500.00)
-Loan is always with Piedmont Federal, never sold. Not that big a deal, but at least they are here locally if needed.

I had a dream last night that townie is really dead and that all his board dwarf friends have been keeping it a secret

Weird, I know.

I came across a book a couple of weeks ago Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts by De Hamel, and was like, I wonder if wakephan the poster on the Wake Forest sports message boards knows about this book? I also thought of this movie and made a note to check this book out again a little later once I've pared down my backlog -- I recently had to return Thieves of Book Row (it's a theme) because it had been recalled and I'm just not reading fast enough and my attention span is toast. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a trace had been filled out recently and it was for the De Hamel. Shit's already probably been stolen. It wasn't a large book, but was on good stock (heavy) and had lots of colored plates and facsimiles in it, so probably over 100 bucks anyway. Maybe we have our own book ring here! I'm going to investigate.

I couldn't get a price on our Audubon, though the one we have was bought at an auction -- Providence Athenaeum or something like that, was getting rid of some shit. It's probably worth a few k.

Haha, my first quick glance read your first sentence as "I came across a book in Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts" and I was like, damn, I wonder if I will have seen it! I do know De Hamel's book. Flipped through it at the British Museum last summer by turning straight to a book I've written about to check on his details. Mostly right but had a couple of things really wrong. De Hamel is a super smart guy and knows books, but his background is as a bookseller, a Sotheby's man, rather than an academic. I've seen him carrying 'round old books in ways that make me physically cringe, holding 800 year old books upside down by the spine or grabbing books by a single board. Perhaps it is from a lifetime of playing with other people's books? But the only time I met him I was at the Parker Library to see a book (and to write, in part, about the library too) and he was kind enough to chat for a few minutes. I guess I was the only one there that day so it would have been super rude not to, but the moment he left the sub-librarian (at the time -- I've got some feelings about the new guy) took me straight into the vault and let me look around. But I should probably get the book, because it probably has lots of pretty pictures and would teach me stuff I don't know about non-English literary books.

Re: Thieves of Book Row, it has been on my nightstand for a month or two, and I'm having trouble making much progress. I'm about halfway through. It's very interesting stuff, especially about the formation of the NYPL, but parts of it are pretty repetitive. Just got to the first real, planned heist where they grabbed three books from rare books room (which is just as dark and "19th-century secure" as they describe).

If you ever get a job investigating book theft, call me. I know nothing about the law or about thieves really but it sounds cool.

Wow, nevermind. Try 5 Million.

https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/providence-athenaeum-audubon-sells-for-5-million/

The De Hamel Manuscripts is only about 40 bucks.

Ah, I've been to the Providence Athenaeum, but I don't remember seeing it there. Just the Edgar Allen Poe desk. 5 Million is pretty good for a book. But the market is kind of crazy for these things because they don't come up very often. I was looking at this gorgeous, clean humanist fifteenth century thing in the ugliest red velvet binding I've ever seen at this NYC bookseller's house a couple of years ago, and he priced the thing at a million. I asked him if it was worth a million bucks, and he said "maybe not because no one has bought it." Just silly money, but books are really a fantastic investment.

Haha, my first quick glance read your first sentence as "I came across a book in Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts" and I was like, damn, I wonder if I will have seen it! I do know De Hamel's book. Flipped through it at the British Museum last summer by turning straight to a book I've written about to check on his details. Mostly right but had a couple of things really wrong. De Hamel is a super smart guy and knows books, but his background is as a bookseller, a Sotheby's man, rather than an academic. I've seen him carrying 'round old books in ways that make me physically cringe, holding 800 year old books upside down by the spine or grabbing books by a single board. Perhaps it is from a lifetime of playing with other people's books? But the only time I met him I was at the Parker Library to see a book (and to write, in part, about the library too) and he was kind enough to chat for a few minutes. I guess I was the only one there that day so it would have been super rude not to, but the moment he left the sub-librarian (at the time -- I've got some feelings about the new guy) took me straight into the vault and let me look around. But I should probably get the book, because it probably has lots of pretty pictures and would teach me stuff I don't know about non-English literary books.

Re: Thieves of Book Row, it has been on my nightstand for a month or two, and I'm having trouble making much progress. I'm about halfway through. It's very interesting stuff, especially about the formation of the NYPL, but parts of it are pretty repetitive. Just got to the first real, planned heist where they grabbed three books from rare books room (which is just as dark and "19th-century secure" as they describe).

If you ever get a job investigating book theft, call me. I know nothing about the law or about thieves really but it sounds cool.

Ah, I've been to the Providence Athenaeum, but I don't remember seeing it there. Just the Edgar Allen Poe desk. 5 Million is pretty good for a book. But the market is kind of crazy for these things because they don't come up very often. I was looking at this gorgeous, clean humanist fifteenth century thing in the ugliest red velvet binding I've ever seen at this NYC bookseller's house a couple of years ago, and he priced the thing at a million. I asked him if it was worth a million bucks, and he said "maybe not because no one has bought it." Just silly money, but books are really a fantastic investment.

Glad to hear Thieves of Book Row is kind of a slog and not just me. I could have manipulated the system to keep it for a bit, but one of our big time profs requested it, so I'll let him take it for a walk.

5 mil for that Audubon 13 years ago does seem good, especially since it was considered a low price at the time. Would it be approaching 10 mil now?

We found the De Hamel, it was pretty much right in our faces. No book ring here. Lame. It does have a lot of pretty pictures.

And I probably won't go see American Animals unless I get a wild notion. Only 10pm showtimes.

So if a tarantula was born this week it would likely die before this CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back