• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
About $1k in fees for $15k in bonus? Some you never pay and most you only pay once. Can leave the ones that give you a free hotel room per night open out of laziness if you want since it’s breakeven or slightly profitable.

Don't you just cancel non-Chase cards before the annual fee comes due in year 2? Isn't that the point of churning?

Don't you need to spend $20k in the first year to get the full Chase Sapphire bonus?

I'm slouching toward the market for a new or used car. The old 5-series needs steering rack and gear repairs that approximate the current value of the car. I can drive the car safely but the steering is heavy at low speeds until the "Active Steering" kicks in. No idea what I'll end up getting or when. Drove a new Q5 and a Jeep Wrangler XL. I want to drive an Audi S4 with a couple of years depreciation behind it. Having a hard time getting excited about it because there's nothing I'm dying to have that's not out of my price range by about $100K.

Same, and I figure as long as jumping in after a couple years of depreciation I'm not just throwing money down the toilet. Looking at all the prices of new cars is just nope nope nope. I was very close to going the TT S or TT RS route, though, but found a decent A6 2015 for right at $20k, when a new one is $50k.

Don't you just cancel non-Chase cards before the annual fee comes due in year 2? Isn't that the point of churning?

Yes you would if/when you get to the point where you run out of cards to apply for, but most of the annual fee cards that are hotel or airline oriented give you a free room or ticket per year if you're lazy and don't want to cancel and re-do. So it's not the end of the world either way. Realistically between my wife and myself it'd probably be 3 years before I'd have to go back and start from the top.

Don't you need to spend $20k in the first year to get the full Chase Sapphire bonus?

The amount to spend is listed in the column. It ranges from $1,000-$5,000, average of $3k. Chase sapphire is $4k.

Last edited:
Yes you would if/when you get to the point where you run out of cards to apply for, but most of the annual fee cards that are hotel or airline oriented give you a free room or ticket per year if you're lazy and don't want to cancel and re-do. So it's not the end of the world either way. Realistically between my wife and myself it'd probably be 3 years before I'd have to go back and start from the top.

The amount to spend is listed in the column. It ranges from $1,000-$5,000, average of $3k. Chase sapphire is $4k.

Link to the sapphire $1000 offer that’s just $4000 in spend?

Link to the sapphire $1000 offer that’s just $4000 in spend?

New 50,000-Point Bonus After $4k Spend on the Chase Sapphire Preferred!

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/50k-sign-up-bonus-chase-sapphire-preferred/

If you meet the spending requirements for both the sign-up bonus and earn the additional points for adding an authorized user, you’re looking at a one-time haul of 55,000 Ultimate Rewards points, worth an incredible $1,155 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.

Is there a precedent for reward point programs devaluation or for limited reward opportunities? I feel like my Amex points options get smaller every year.

Thanks. Never seen them valued that high. Just the usual $625 when buying through the portal.

Basically are you concerned about accruing all these points just to be forced to take flights to Nova Scotia?
#FunnyMoney

Thanks. Never seen them valued that high. Just the usual $625 when buying through the portal.

Yes, the value for the chase points seems more dependent on being able to use them for like first class seats to Asia or Europe on certain airlines. Amex and Chase points are generally viewed as worth 2 cents each because you can transfer them to anywhere else when it has a deal. That or transferring to Hyatt. Probably not valuable if you have a family and aren't terribly flexible with your travel plans. Decently valuable if you can take off work whenever you want and can be spontaneous. I don't have kids yet, so a random cheap free flight to Hawaii or Tokyo can work.

That $15k figure really only works if you get the maximum value on your points (which defs not cash back), which requires a good bit of work to do.

I get a card or two every year, but defs wouldn't want to put in the coordination plama is aiming for, spend target notwithstanding

Dawg don't get a TT, that's a chick car!

Just went past a city of Durham fire truck in Virginia and noticed that it had Ohio plates. What did I just see?

Engine 17 (E-17) is driving south on 77.

That $15k figure really only works if you get the maximum value on your points (which defs not cash back), which requires a good bit of work to do.

I get a card or two every year, but defs wouldn't want to put in the coordination plama is aiming for, spend target notwithstanding

Well max value would be closer to $30k, or about 4 cents per point, but those deals are fairly rare. I believe the valuations are based on what's attainable without too egregious of effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back