• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was biking in Carrboro yesterday at lunch to get some tea, and when I got there my wallet wasn't on me. I am stupid and keep it in a pocket in my bag that has a zipper, but I rarely zip it. There was also a comb in the pocket and as I biked back retracing my steps, I saw the comb in the street, but no wallet. I went around to the local businesses and police station, then went back to work and retraced my steps again. Still no wallet. I cancel everything, because where it fell in the street, god knows who was going to pick it up and live large on my credit card, but a dude who works at the Med School emailed me an hour or so later and he had it. Had I just chilled at work for half an hour the first time I went back, everything would have been breezy, but I was freaking out a bit and so walked around in the 90 degree humidity staring at the ground looking like a dumbass for most of the afternoon.

All good though. Credit Union gave me cash and ordered me new cards, and I only had to cancel like three things, and don't have to pay for replacements for anything. Good times. I feel like an idiot though. That pocket will now and forever until the end of time be zipped up when I'm riding and have my wallet.

when are you writing your first philosophical treatise and what subject will it be on

Whatever mine winds up being about, it won't end in a preposition.

I'm supposed to turn in a 300-500 word post on the history of the umbrella today, but I don't think I'm going to finish it. Probably tomorrow or the next, though. I don't think that counts.

Munimen ad imbres.

Consider a word that refers to a thing--’umbrella,’ for example. When I say the word ‘umbrella,’ you see the object in your mind. You see a kind of stick, with collapsible metal spokes on top that form an armature for a waterproof material which, when opened, will protect you from the rain. This last detail is important. Not only is an umbrella thing, it is a thing that performs a function -- in other words, expresses the will of man … Now my question is this. What happens when a thing no longer performs its function? Is it still the thing, or has it become something else? When you rip the cloth off the umbrella, is the umbrella still an umbrella? You open the spokes, put them over your head, walk out into the rain, and you get drenched. Is it possible to go on calling this object an umbrella? In general, people do. At the very limit, they will say the umbrella is broken. To me this is a serious error, the source of all our troubles.

There are three things that no man but a fool lends, or, having lent, is not in the most helpless state of mental crassitude if he ever hopes to get back again. These three things, my son, are—BOOKS, UMBRELLAS, and MONEY! I believe a certain fiction of the law assumes a remedy to the borrower; but I know of no case in which any man, being sufficiently dastard to gibbet his reputation as plaintiff in such a suit, ever fairly succeeded against the wholesome prejudices of society. Umbrellas may be 'hedged about' by cobweb statutes; I will not swear it is not so; there may exist laws that make such things property; but sure I am that the hissing contempt, the loud-mouthed indignation of all civilised society, 'would sibilate and roar at the bloodless poltroon who should engage law on his side to obtain for him the restitution of a—lent Umbrella!

this is a very good start to On the Umbrella

EDIT: oh wait i just noticed your title

Oh, the winter rain
On a moonlit night
When the shadow of an old umbrella shudders.

There is too much shit on umbrellas! This only needs to be like 300 words and a couple of .gifs. I need to get a hold of myself.

200w.webp

I was biking in Carrboro yesterday at lunch to get some tea, and when I got there my wallet wasn't on me. I am stupid and keep it in a pocket in my bag that has a zipper, but I rarely zip it. There was also a comb in the pocket and as I biked back retracing my steps, I saw the comb in the street, but no wallet. I went around to the local businesses and police station, then went back to work and retraced my steps again. Still no wallet. I cancel everything, because where it fell in the street, god knows who was going to pick it up and live large on my credit card, but a dude who works at the Med School emailed me an hour or so later and he had it. Had I just chilled at work for half an hour the first time I went back, everything would have been breezy, but I was freaking out a bit and so walked around in the 90 degree humidity staring at the ground looking like a dumbass for most of the afternoon.

All good though. Credit Union gave me cash and ordered me new cards, and I only had to cancel like three things, and don't have to pay for replacements for anything. Good times. I feel like an idiot though. That pocket will now and forever until the end of time be zipped up when I'm riding and have my wallet.

THAT'LL LEARN YA.

Leebs this guy was in full out Tour de France bike gear for his lunchtime bikeride (I realized I passed him and his girlfriend on the bike trail right before my wallet bounced out) and then in full out Tour de France professional color-coordinated biking gear when he dropped it off later that afternoon. You would have been impressed I bet. He was nice and said he was happy to help because he had been on a full out Tour de France professional biking trip a few years ago with his girlfriend driving in support like they do in the Tour de France, and she lost her wallet and some randos got in touch with them six weeks later to return everything with nothing taken.

I just wish I had been slightly more chill/with it to check my email every five minutes, or at least before I started canceling shit. Then it would have been like it never even happened.

Having to write and research this minor 300 word post is reminding me why I am not in grad school and never really felt comfortable in school at all, ever. It's semi-interesting to learn, can be fun and funny, but I have absolutely no drive or desire to produce anything.

I don't think I can use the middle-finger .gif, but I am going to use one or two from Singin in the Rain, Mary Poppins, and Indiana Jones (in the Last Crusade when Sean Connery scares the birds from the beach to bring down the Nazi planes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back