• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

anthony bourdain kills himself

The odds of a child committing suicide increase greatly when a parent does.

We need to do a munch better job as a society creating an environment that people ask for help and having a system in place to get them that help.

Additionally, much of the damage depression does involves the muting of the ability to speak up, in whatever form that may take. I’ve seen a number of mental health experts this week who recommend that people be aware of the signs and take action as best they’re able.

I never really watched his show because I don't need travel tips to Mongolia and have better things to do other than watch people eat on TV, but he seemed like a righteous dude. RIP.

Show wasn’t really about the food though, or about imparting travel tips. More about cultures and how we all live and love and celebrate life. Plus it was super well-made. Dude was probably the best ambassador the USA could ever have to the rest of the world.

i actually never got the sense that he was 'happy'. my wife actually said "well, that's not a surprise. he did always seem pretty stressed out"

This is terrible. I loved his shows and books. I agree with all the positive statements above. I had the chance to meet him about five years ago. He is the only celebrity I have ever had my picture taken with.

Ate at a few restaurants that he visited for parts unknown and was not disappointed. Dude had a way with words and a way with people. The world is a significantly less colorful place today.

Show wasn’t really about the food though, or about imparting travel tips. More about cultures and how we all live and love and celebrate life. Plus it was super well-made. Dude was probably the best ambassador the USA could ever have to the rest of the world.

Sad news indeed. Seemed like he was someone who "had it all."

RIP.

The odds of a child committing suicide increase greatly when a parent does.

We need to do a munch better job as a society creating an environment that people ask for help and having a system in place to get them that help.

Not that I disagree here, but how exactly do you measure the first part? Depression and mental illness is hereditary, so it makes sense that if one of your parents commits suicide, you might be likely to do the same than somebody who has no history of mental illness in the family. I recognize that not all people who off themselves are clinically depressed, but that has gotta be a really, really small percentage. In the end, I think that for all our good intentions and talk of better support, it really doesn't make (much of) a difference. We are more tolerant of mental illness and depression than we have been at any other time in civilized history, and suicide rates are off the charts. It goes deeper than that. What the issue is I don't know and hypothesizing would only piss people off.

And this sucks. I've been bummed about this all day and I haven't watched his show in a long time. Watched a couple episodes on Netflix tonight.

Not that I disagree here, but how exactly do you measure the first part? Depression and mental illness is hereditary, so it makes sense that if one of your parents commits suicide, you might be likely to do the same than somebody who has no history of mental illness in the family. I recognize that not all people who off themselves are clinically depressed, but that has gotta be a really, really small percentage. In the end, I think that for all our good intentions and talk of better support, it really doesn't make (much of) a difference. We are more tolerant of mental illness and depression than we have been at any other time in civilized history, and suicide rates are off the charts. It goes deeper than that. What the issue is I don't know and hypothesizing would only piss people off.

And this sucks. I've been bummed about this all day and I haven't watched his show in a long time. Watched a couple episodes on Netflix tonight.

I'll bite-
the banality of hypercapitalist/consumerist culture
decreasing religiousity
increase in meds
social media

I'd have killed myself at this point had I not sought out a therapist and been prescribed appropriate medication, so seeing someone attribute an increase in suicide to an increase in medication is offensive to me. That's the same stigma that almost prevented me from getting help in the first place.

Back