• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

anthony bourdain kills himself

I think that "if only those mentally ill folks had come to jesus !" is an agressively bad and offensive take, yes.

I am not sure that's where that take was going. I read it more as in fear of eternal damnation kept people from killing themselves, bad take but not offensive.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...raise-the-risk-of-suicide-biggest-ever-revie/

There is a clear link between suicide increase in kids under 18 and anti depressants.

Did you actually read the article?

It's a bait-and-switch. At the very least, it's misleading.

The thesis of the article seems to be that some studies of SSRIs and SNRIs have been performed poorly, with suicide data being coded incorrectly: "misreporting of trial data [is] a growing problem," and "...some clinical trials have been misreported or poorly designed." Beyond some thin anecdotes, the headline "Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide" isn't even addressed, nor does it link directly to this "largest study" so I'm a bit hard up to learn more here.

The only relevant sentence from this piece (that doesn't actually draw a connection between suicide and under 18) is "NHS guidelines state that under 18s should not be given antidepressants, [despite this] there are more than 100,000 prescriptions for Prozac each year for teenagers, despite reviews showing that the drugs are no more effective than counselling." That's not really a clear link to an increase in suicides. I can't find any mention of quantifiable increase in suicides in this article. Did I miss it?

We have to be careful not to get lost in causation. Just because a lot more people are taking antidepressants, and we highlight some people who have taken their lives while on these drugs, doesn't mean that the drugs are responsible. I'm not surprised that some studies have been performed poorly, but that's not a clear indictment of the drug's risk.

I am not sure that's where that take was going. I read it more as in fear of eternal damnation kept people from killing themselves, bad take but not offensive.

I took it more as the community aspect of things; being involved in a group/organization outside of yourself can be helpful in managing depression. Not saying it is 100%, nor that it necessarily has to be church... but just involvement in a group of like-minded individuals.

regardless, it doesn't take away from the fact depression is a disease and there is very little one can do to just 'deal with it' on their own outside of medical intervention.

The most likely outcome for some one with depression is suicide...so it is not surprising that people on antidepressants have higher rates of suicide because more people with depression take anti-depressants. Are we surprised that diabetics taking diabetes medication die from diabetes associated complications more often than people not taking diabetic medication?

Did you actually read the article?

It's a bait-and-switch. At the very least, it's misleading.

The thesis of the article seems to be that some studies of SSRIs and SNRIs have been performed poorly, with suicide data being coded incorrectly: "misreporting of trial data [is] a growing problem," and "...some clinical trials have been misreported or poorly designed." Beyond some thin anecdotes, the headline "Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide" isn't even addressed, nor does it link directly to this "largest study" so I'm a bit hard up to learn more here.

The only relevant sentence from this piece (that doesn't actually draw a connection between suicide and under 18) is "NHS guidelines state that under 18s should not be given antidepressants, [despite this] there are more than 100,000 prescriptions for Prozac each year for teenagers, despite reviews showing that the drugs are no more effective than counselling." That's not really a clear link to an increase in suicides. I can't find any mention of quantifiable increase in suicides in this article. Did I miss it?

We have to be careful not to get lost in causation. Just because a lot more people are taking antidepressants, and we highlight some people who have taken their lives while on these drugs, doesn't mean that the drugs are responsible. I'm not surprised that some studies have been performed poorly, but that's not a clear indictment of the drug's risk.

Right, and I'd love to see an actual link to those NHS guidelines, because I don't think that's accurate. The NICE guidelines from the UK clearly allow for antidepressants in children (specifically fluoxetine).

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg28

I'm happy to paste the summary from UpToDate on the subject if people actually are interested in a summary of the available evidence.

If anything the British studies should show that depression and suicide is a universal problem, also any studies that are country specific should be noted because for whatever reason guidelines, especially pharmaceutical, are vastly different country to country but more so US to rest of the world.

I am not so sure this was a suicide. I am thinking this may be a case similar to Michael Hutchence, the lead singer of INXS.

I think they are oddly protecting his privacy by publicly stating this is a suicide. I had a friend die this way, a D-class actor but one who had been in soap operas, and it was HUGELY embarrassing and devastating to his family ...

I'd rather he not be dead. I don't think he killed himself. I hope you can feel secure enough in your opinion to allow a different one.

I base this hunch on several factors:

* The type of folks into auto-asphixiation include someone like Bourdain.
* He didn't leave a note so far as we know
* Hanging death
* He was an inexplicable no-show for dinner w/ his buddy
* People are way too easily directed into particular narratives - life is more messy than that.

So I raise your fuck off and call

"The type of folks into auto-asphixiation include someone like Bourdain."

what?

The most likely outcome for some one with depression is suicide...

Hold up, you're saying that over 50% of people with depression end up killing themselves? If that's what the numbers say, wow.

Hold up, you're saying that over 50% of people with depression end up killing themselves? If that's what the numbers say, wow.

I haven't read the numbers. I apologize for asserting that as fact. I should have stated it as something like "People with depression have the highest risk of suicide..." Sorry.

ETA:
I haven't vetted these number but according to this article: https://www.verywellmind.com/suicide-rates-overstated-in-people-with-depression-2330503

- Up to 9% of people with depression at least attempt suicide (it does not specify if the attempts have to be successful to be included in the count)

- Up to 60% of suicide attempts are by people with "major depression" (again attempts vs success are not specified)

Caveats are that Depression is not always diagnosed because of ongoing stigma associated with mental illness and seeking treatment (for example, see Jaybone's stupid posts above), and because specific mental health disorders are difficult to diagnose. Also, tracking only mortalities vs all attempts could greatly change the estimated rates.

Last edited:
Surprise of the day: Jaybone assumes someone was just trying to get off.

People into amplified sensation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiation

Full disclosure, I didn't know anything about this shit until a friend of mine died this way and it was just extremely confusing to me. He was wearing women's panties and a wig to boot and so he was suddenly outed in the press as a cross-dressing weirdo which seemed even more strange to me as I knew him as a total skank - for blonde women. So I researched it a bit just to make sense of it. It is also more common for people that are extremely self-absorbed. Not saying Bourdain is self-absorbed. Didn't seem that way, but the other traits do seem to fit.

Now, that doesn't mean my hunch is correct at all. As a parent and a person somewhat jealous of the privilege of getting paid good money to travel around the world essentially being yourself, this is just a real head scratcher for me.

I haven't read the numbers. I apologize for asserting that as fact. I should have stated it as something like "People with depression have the highest risk of suicide..." Sorry.

Ok, following.

My hunch is he was killed by secret agents.

* The type of folks into secret agent stuff include someone like Bourdain.

* Hanging death

* People are way too easily directed into particular narratives - life is more messy than that.

I'm not sure he was killed by secret agents but I think you should keep an open mind about this since his estate is keeping information about his private life private. Weird!

I'd rather he not be dead. I don't think he killed himself. I hope you can feel secure enough in your opinion to allow a different one.

* The type of folks into auto-asphixiation include someone like Bourdain.
* Hanging death

So I raise your fuck off and call

Poor

Back