• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

anthony bourdain kills himself

It couldn't have been a suicide. He and his buddy had pre-ordered the souffle.

I took it more as the community aspect of things; being involved in a group/organization outside of yourself can be helpful in managing depression. Not saying it is 100%, nor that it necessarily has to be church... but just involvement in a group of like-minded individuals.

regardless, it doesn't take away from the fact depression is a disease and there is very little one can do to just 'deal with it' on their own outside of medical intervention.

I am not saying that pharmaceutical treatments don't work, but there are plenty of things that can help, mainly being therapy, exercise, and a healthy diet.

I struggled with depression myself, mainly after the untimely death of my mother. What brought me back into a healthy place mentally was a combination of a support group, exercise, meditation, and infrequent but strong dose usage of LSD. I don't think any one of those things alone though would have made a difference, and i still could clean up my diet considerably.

I'm surprised there isn't more auto asphyxiation speculation on this one, it's really the only explanation that makes sense here.

No, suicide is, thankfully, not the most common outcome of depression.

Yes, depressed people are more likely to kill themselves than non-depressed people.

Probably antidepressants do not increase the risk of suicide for most people. Probably the benefit of meds outweighs any risk for most folks seeking help for depression.

Yes, counseling and non-medication interventions are probably at least as important as meds.

I am not saying that pharmaceutical treatments don't work, but there are plenty of things that can help, mainly being therapy, exercise, and a healthy diet.

I struggled with depression myself, mainly after the untimely death of my mother. What brought me back into a healthy place mentally was a combination of a support group, exercise, meditation, and infrequent but strong dose usage of LSD. I don't think any one of those things alone though would have made a difference, and i still could clean up my diet considerably.

Yes, we are in agreement...
That being said- in some cases, I believe pharmaceutical treatments are an absolutely necessary part of treatment. Clinically-diagnosed and medically treated depression/anxiety are different from more episodic/environment-based things. I have pretty intense Seasonal Affective Disorder, exacerbated by living in the PNW, and I am able to manage that with a light box, therapy, diet and exercise. This is different from someone whose chemical imbalances necessitate medical treatment.

It really bothers me when folks say things like, "Oh, Anthony Bourdain/Kate Spade/etc- how could they? They had the coolest life!" That's like saying, "Aunt Sue, how dare you get cancer when we all love you so much!" Depression is a disease, and it does not discriminate - regardless of opportunity, fame, etc.

1xdn4x.jpg

Listen, I knew Tony. Before he went international, he used to do a show on the local ABC affiliate where he'd go around to the local mexiacn places and rate their food.

Once he was at a food truck outside the Marshalls on Escondido. He was eating a burrito when I walked up. We caught up for a few minutes and then he took off.

Right away the truck catches on fire and Oscar and I are trying to put the flames out but his fire extinguisher wasn't working.

Next thing you know here comes Tony riding up with a fire truck right behind him. They hosed the truck down and we ended up eating the chorizo that hadn't burned up.

Another time Tony and I were at a little place in HB and tried their desserts. They were terirble. tony rolled his eyes and said "Paula Deen could make a better desert this." To which I responded, "sure, with a little racism a la mode." Tony choked on his pie he as laughign so hard.

Listen, I knew Tony. Before he went international, he used to do a show on the local ABC affiliate where he'd go around to the local mexiacn places and rate their food.

Once he was at a food truck outside the Marshalls on Escondido. He was eating a burrito when I walked up. We caught up for a few minutes and then he took off.

Right away the truck catches on fire and Oscar and I are trying to put the flames out but his fire extinguisher wasn't working.

Next thing you know here comes Tony riding up with a fire truck right behind him. They hosed the truck down and we ended up eating the chorizo that hadn't burned up.

Another time Tony and I were at a little place in HB and tried their desserts. They were terirble. tony rolled his eyes and said "Paula Deen could make a better desert this." To which I responded, "sure, with a little racism a la mode." Tony choked on his pie he as laughign so hard.

Yes!

The wife and I were watching his show a few weeks ago and I asked her which places she would take him if he ever came to the Triad. It was pretty fun thinking up an itinerary that would have pleased him. Mine was WAY more divey and redneck than hers. I still think he would have enjoyed mine better.

The wife and I were watching his show a few weeks ago and I asked her which places she would take him if he ever came to the Triad. It was pretty fun thinking up an itinerary that would have pleased him. Mine was WAY more divey and redneck than hers. I still think he would have enjoyed mine better.

I play this game from time to time as well. In Raleigh I’d have taken him to Mami Nora’s for lunch and to Stanbury for the pork chop given his love for the pig. Since Bida Manda / Bhavana have become so huge that’s probably a mandatory stop. Then Sunday morning the chicken biscuit at Beasley’s.

I play this game from time to time as well. In Raleigh I’d have taken him to Mami Nora’s for lunch and to Stanbury for the pork chop given his love for the pig. Since Bida Manda / Bhavana have become so huge that’s probably a mandatory stop. Then Sunday morning the chicken biscuit at Beasley’s.

I'd be happy to substitute in his place...

That’s a great idea for a website. “Where would Anthony Bourdain have gone in your town?”

Back