• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 U.S. Open Contest - CORRECTION: matt wins!

Joe Buck should never be allowed to call golf. He actually asked Curtis if he popped the champagne 1972 Miami Doplphins style every year the defending champion doesn’t repeat. What an idiot.

I know Joe Buck is the face of Fox Sports, but he is out of his element doing golf. Can't stand him doing the US Open.

I will always be in the tank for Curtis Strange. Really like how he is not afraid to be critical. Really stupid to have Fox essentially do one tournament a year (I know they have the US Women's Open and US AM), and have it be one of the 3 biggest tournaments on the golf year. Networks that regularly televise golf will be better than networks that do it once a year. Realize it's a money grab for the USGA, but the coverage is lacking for a marquis golf event which is terrible.

Is anyone surprised that Mickelson lied? Realize that his popularity has grown in recent years, but Phil's character has always been questionable (to put it mildly). Once the Feds had Mickelson in the cross-hairs for insider trading, he threw Billy Walters under the bus, and Walters is now in Federal prison. Mickelson is all about himself and he lives his life on the edges, high-stakes gambling, infidelity and whatever else; understand people like his style of play, and he kind of looks a friendly rolly-polly neighbor, but Mickelson and has always been shady.

When people liked Tiger, he said Phil was scamming the public about who he is.

The crowds were ridiculous. So many yells after shots it just got meshed into one horrible "babbabooey-mashed potatoes-get in the hole". And Fox having to white noise out f-bombs every 20 seconds made it seem pretty bush league, too.

Heard some talk radio guys saying that the combo of course issues, awful Fox coverage, and crowd control are quickly putting the U.S. Open in danger of becoming the worst of the 4 majors. I think it'll always be #2 on this side of the pond, but it's really not that hot of a take.

Yep, typical of a U.S. Open crown and New Yorkers being loud. Not a good combination.

When Dustin Johnson came up short on a putt late in round 4, some idiot yelled "Hit it Alice!". How original...

Dustin Johnson
Justin Thomas
Brooks Koepka
Charley Hoffman
Rafael Cabrera Bello
Xander Schauffele

This is the winning team?

I see where you are going with that. That team does not add to >400.

I input deacondamo team in incorrectly. The final player was Chez Reavie not Xander. Hold please.

Last edited:
Upon further review and validation

matt is the winner!

deacondamo's corrected team is now solo 5 at +21.
Also, the team submitted by DeacdeTejas' has been ruled to be invalid and has been DQ'd.

My apologies for the error.

Steve-Harvey.jpg

Upon further review and validation

matt is the winner!

deacondamo's corrected team is now solo 5 at +21.
Also, the team submitted by DeacdeTejas' has been ruled to be invalid and has been DQ'd.

My apologies for the error.

Lol, late ruling by the commish

But hey its what I get I guess

In a sport that has permitted after the fact call-ins to change the result, this correction certainly appears to be the right result. Condolences to Damo.

I think Phil's situation was this: Half of it was he was taking advantage of the rules in his mind. I bet earlier in the round he had planned that he might do that if he hit a putt that looked like ti would roll off the green. So half was about him trying to show how he's smarter than everyone else. The other half of it was Phil giving a "fuck you" to the USGA for the setup. So half of it was Phil showing how smart he is and the other half was him being a smartass.

I understand that he took a good 20 minutes in the scoring tent after the round, I'm sure to get his story straight in his mind. I really bet he was deciding hard between sounding apologetic and slamming th4e USGA. I think he took the softer road because his behavior had already done some damage. Speaking of halves, the is why half the players and tour staffs hate him and half love him.

I say this even though Phil is one of my best friends. :cool:

Last edited:
I think Phil's situation was this: Half of it was he was taking advantage of the rules in his mind. I bet earlier in the round he had planned that he might do that if he hit a putt that looked like ti would roll off the green. So half was about him trying to show how he's smarter than everyone else. The other half of it was Phil giving a "fuck you" to the USGA for the setup. So half of it was Phil showing how smart he is and the other half was him being a smartass.

I understand that he took a good 20 minutes in the scoring tent after the round, I'm sure to get his story straight in his mind. I really bet he was deciding hard between sounding apologetic and slamming th4e USGA. I think he took the softer road because his behavior had already done some damage. Speaking of halves, the is why half the players and tour staffs hate him and half love him.

I say this even though Phil is one of my best friends. :cool:

images

Sleepy, some pos rep will make me feel better about this slight transgression. Thank you in advance good sir.

Back