Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: New NCAA eligibility rules--up to 4 games in a season without losing eligibility

  1. #1

    New NCAA eligibility rules--up to 4 games in a season without losing eligibility

    The Division I council also approved a measure that will allow athletes to compete in up to four games without losing a season of competition. The proposalwas initially tabled in April over concerns on timing, the number of games and potential application to other sports, according to a release by the NCAA.

    Student athletes have five years to complete four seasons of competition, so the new rule will allow an athlete to use a redshirt, if it hasn't been previously used, up to four games of competition during the season.

    "This change promotes not only fairness for college athletes, but also their health and well-being. Redshirt football student-athletes are more likely to remain engaged with the team, and starters will be less likely to feel pressure to play through injuries," Council chair Blake James said. "Coaches will appreciate the additional flexibility and ability to give younger players an opportunity to participate in limited competition."

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Robert O'Kelley
    jaybone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Milton, NY
    Posts
    6,978
    Does this mean you can essentially make available all redshirt frosh for the last three games of the season!?! I would think not ...
    le bone

  4. #4
    Robert O'Kelley
    jaybone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Milton, NY
    Posts
    6,978
    This could benefit Wake if, say, we have a depth problem at linebacker. Let's say three games in the season we lose a guy or two or a few games or a season - you could then essentially play your redshirt at that position for three games, then put the shirt back on him and "activate" a fellow frosh who has also been redshirting and play him for the next three games ... I don't see how this benefits a Clemson from a strategy perspective (just helps if you lose a guy early), but it does us.
    le bone

  5. #5
    Inconvenient Truths

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Far from the maddening crowd
    Posts
    4,720
    A new can of worms for abuse.

  6. #6
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    89,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    A new can of worms for abuse.
    Meh. Itís one more game than before. This is a good rule change and should benefit students and programs alike.

  7. #7
    Steve Lepore Stan Gable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Adams College
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Meh. Itís one more game than before. This is a good rule change and should benefit students and programs alike.
    The previous rule required injury to redshirt if you play in less than 4 games. This one doesn't read like that.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Meh. Itís one more game than before. This is a good rule change and should benefit students and programs alike.
    I thought the previous rule allowing some games only applied to players injured. That is you could redshirt if you played no more than three games and got injured.

    If you weren't injured, you couldn't play at all in any game if you were to be redshirted.

    This new rule seems to allow 4 games of "tryout" time. Does the new rule limit the player to the first for games in the season or any four games?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Meh. Itís one more game than before. This is a good rule change and should benefit students and programs alike.
    Yes, one more game than before but from what I was just hearing on College Sirius, it is not at the start of the season only where a player suffers a season ending injury, then has to apply for a medical redshirt. This deal gives the coaches & players the leverage throughout the season to try them, play them if needed or whatever, even towards the end if others get hurt. Then they don't lose that year of eligibility because they played only in November or whatever. While it will lead to some game playing or whatever, it could help both the team & players.

    There is also a new rule for transfers that eases that process where a player has to get permission, etc:

    "That process will no longer exist come October, when a student-athlete will now have the ability to transfer without asking for permission. The new process allows the athlete to notify his current school of his desire to transfer and will then require the school to enter the student's name into a database within two business days of the request."

  10. #10
    Ishmael Smith
    tigerswood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Price's Chicken Coop
    Posts
    4,840
    This would have been cool in 2006 with Josh Adams. Things worked out pretty alright though, I guess.

  11. #11
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    89,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Gable View Post
    The previous rule required injury to redshirt if you play in less than 4 games. This one doesn't read like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    I thought the previous rule allowing some games only applied to players injured. That is you could redshirt if you played no more than three games and got injured.

    If you weren't injured, you couldn't play at all in any game if you were to be redshirted.

    This new rule seems to allow 4 games of "tryout" time. Does the new rule limit the player to the first for games in the season or any four games?
    My impression of injury is that it was more like "injury."

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    My impression of injury is that it was more like "injury."
    No. Prior to this rule change, schools were very selective about playing true frosh. True frosh would only play in an opening game (or at the first 3 games) if the true frosh was expected to be significant contributor all year. If a true frosh happened to get injured, then a school could apply for medical waiver, but it had to be documented. If the rule is now a player can redshirt after playing 4 or less games regardless of injury, that is a significant change and will alter how most coaches approach a season. Essentially, a Coach can use the first 4 games as open tryout.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by harmoniousmonk View Post
    Sweet thread title
    curious as to what the title should have been

  14. #14
    Does it have to be the first four games in the season, or any four games?

    For example, do I qualify for a redshirt if -

    1) I sit out the first four games, play games 5-8, then sit out the last four games?
    2) I sit out the first eight games, then play the last four games?
    3) I sit out the first two games, play games 3-4, sit games 5-6, play games 7-8, then sit games 9-12?
    4) I play the first four games then sit the last eight games?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by WFUWaldo View Post
    Does it have to be the first four games in the season, or any four games?

    For example, do I qualify for a redshirt if -

    1) I sit out the first four games, play games 5-8, then sit out the last four games?
    2) I sit out the first eight games, then play the last four games?
    3) I sit out the first two games, play games 3-4, sit games 5-6, play games 7-8, then sit games 9-12?
    4) I play the first four games then sit the last eight games?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    My impression of injury is that it was more like "injury."
    Not at Wake. There have multiple discussions about burning shirts for players.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •