• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Alumni Involvement

Plus he dumped on 2 of our best coaches of all time--Odom & Greer, who between them have 5 ACC titles. He did this just wanting to hire his own coaches. Let's just say he has not had much luck in hiring coaches here going back to his initial hire of Jim Caldwell, who while the world's nicest person, was totally out of his league at the time being an ACC head football coach at the time. I am not sure Timmy is quite over the fact that RW got rid of GDO in the way he did.

I'm not one to defend Wellman, but he didn't get rid of Diane Dailey or Jen Averill who he didn't hire. They won.

Plus he dumped on 2 of our best coaches of all time--Odom & Greer, who between them have 5 ACC titles. He did this just wanting to hire his own coaches. Let's just say he has not had much luck in hiring coaches here going back to his initial hire of Jim Caldwell, who while the world's nicest person, was totally out of his league at the time being an ACC head football coach at the time. I am not sure Timmy is quite over the fact that RW got rid of GDO in the way he did.

Here we go again with the George Greer drivel again. Did he buy insurance from you?

WF is always patient with its coaches. The bottom had fallen out of the WF baseball program when Greer and WF parted ways (Greer's last year at WF in 2004, WF went 17-33 and 4-20 in the ACC; at the time, the worst ACC record in 19 years; there had been a progressive slide to oblivion at the end of Greer's time at WF). Unlike GDO, Greer never coached college baseball again. It was time for George Greer to stop coaching college baseball in 2004. Greer ended up spending time in various MLB organizations, most recently St. Louis. Reff makes it seem like WF fired Tony Larussa when Greer's contract was not renewed in 2004. Just simply wrong.

Here we go again with the George Greer drivel again. Did he buy insurance from you?

WF is always patient with its coaches. The bottom had fallen out of the WF baseball program when Greer and WF parted ways (Greer's last year at WF in 2004, WF went 17-33 and 4-20 in the ACC; at the time, the worst ACC record in 19 years; there had been a progressive slide to oblivion at the end of Greer's time at WF). Unlike GDO, Greer never coached college baseball again. It was time for George Greer to stop coaching college baseball in 2004. Greer ended up spending time in various MLB organizations, most recently St. Louis. Reff makes it seem like WF fired Tony Larussa when Greer's contract was not renewed in 2004. Just simply wrong.

Pilch, you are so full of it, you actually smell of the drivel from trying to rationalize this firing Wellman made. So a coach who has won 3 titles in 4 years, 98-99 & 2001 and won over 600 games for Wake Forest is not allowed time to right his own ship? In Wake Forest terms, they did fire a Tony LaRussa type college coach who is in our HOF, given what he had done here with the number of 40 win seasons he had amassed at our school. 2004 was his FIRST losing season in years. You are so so full of crap! So you give any of our current Wellman hires only one losing season and where would we be? Oh, OK, you have no response for that because there is none!

SO let's move on to Greer's successors--Rembielak had 3 losing seasons out of 5 and an overall .500 record not to mention going 61-87 in the ACC. My, well worth the coaching change, huh? Current coach Tom Walter started with a losing season of 18-37, went to 25-31 [another losing season], then of course the great Super Regional run last season to Florida. But by your rational above, we fell to another losing season this year, 25-32. I guess the bottom has fallen out of Wake Forest baseball. Time for a change using your drivel!

I ran into Kyle Visser and a few of his WF buddies at Ocean Annie’s Beach Bar in North Myrtle on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend in 2006. Very cool guy. He got introduced to Marlene Jansen, a Playboy centerfold in the 80’s, and the rest is history. He was wasted for the first 3 years of his career IMO.

416390c2389011f8d74c4a625e5e3bed.jpg

There was some kind of alumni event at the game last weekend that all the guys from when I was in school were posting about. I saw Twan, Trent, Justin Gray. No bad words about the coach, but I imagine it’s because they’re hesitant to cross the AD.

Part of the issue for Greer late in his career and his successors as Wake baseball coaches is the change in Wake academic handling of JuCo transfers. Wake stopped giving academic credit for virtually all classes completed at junior colleges. For all students. It didn't matter how well qualified you are coming out of HS.

Even if you had graduated from an academically strong JC, Wake now won't recognize your credits, and makes you start over. This policy is particularly hard on athletes because the NCAA expects them to have rising junior credits, while Wake allots them incoming freshman level (none) of credit for their JuCo work. Hence ineligible.

This really hurts baseball because of the MLB draft eligibility rules: upon completion of high school, upon completion of JuCo, after third year in college and after graduation from college. Quite a few guys go JuCo to get the extra draft chance, even if academically qualified to go to a four year school. None of them can go to Wake.

I don't know why Wake changed the policy. Wake used to be very accepting of JuCo transfers into the general student population. Two of the smartest guys I knew at Wake were JuCo transfers. Both had gone JuCo for financial reasons.

Rutland and Braswell frequently respond to my social media posts speaking out against what is going on.

Back