• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kendall Hinton Suspended First Three Games of 2018

Friendly reminder that a word can have multiple connotations and that's just how language works; no matter how many times you call "PC Police" on it.

Certainly one of the connotations of the word "boy," associated with a person of color, is historically demeaning - this is nothing new to 2018.
Certainly another connotation of the word "boy" is a term of friendship - used to describe people you're close to.

Usually, we rely on context clues to figure out which connotation applies in each usage. That's hard on a message board. Hence, drama. Don't get mad tho.

I'd take pleasure in guttin' you, boy.

Friendly reminder that a word can have multiple connotations and that's just how language works; no matter how many times you call "PC Police" on it.

Certainly one of the connotations of the word "boy," associated with a person of color, is historically demeaning - this is nothing new to 2018.
Certainly another connotation of the word "boy" is a term of friendship - used to describe people you're close to.

Usually, we rely on context clues to figure out which connotation applies in each usage. That's hard on a message board. Hence, drama. Don't get mad tho.

disregarding that is one of the problems of pc

Almost think this thread should be deleted and re-started. WF is losing its starting QB for 3 games and one of the few TEs on the roster, and the thread has devolved into an asinine PC debate (fwiw, stating someone is another person's "boy" is a term of endearment; always consider Tim Duncan to be "my boy" and it simply means that I love and respect him).

The suspension makes the Tulane game loseable. Someone is making their first college start, and even for the best QBs, they often don't go well. While it helps to play an FCS opponent Towson in game #2 to get our new QBs experience, hate that Hinton will miss our ACC opener. BC at home has always been a struggle, they are going to be fired up after WF worked them last year, and WF will be the team with the less-experienced QB.

Finally, game 4 is ND. Had a feeling that this could be the year where WF takes down the Irish, but WF will either be starting an inexperienced QB or Hinton will be getting his first game reps of the year against a likely top 25 team with 3 games under their belt. Not an optimal scenario.

Realize Hartman and Newman have promise, but it takes a while even for the best QBs to settle in; expect this to cost WF at least one game maybe two (the 2nd could be ND which WF could win if it is hitting on all cylinders heading into week 4, which now seems unlikely).

Completely craptastic news.

Calling Hinton "Ph's boy" is not racist.

Getting the attention of an adult black person by saying "Hey boy" is racist.

Almost think this thread should be deleted and re-started. WF is losing its starting QB for 3 games and one of the few TEs on the roster, and the thread has devolved into an asinine PC debate (fwiw, stating someone is another person's "boy" is a term of endearment; always consider Tim Duncan to be "my boy" and it simply means that I love and respect him).

The suspension makes the Tulane game loseable. Someone is making their first college start, and even for the best QBs, they often don't go well. While it help to play an FCS opponent Towson to get our new QBs experience, hate that Hinton will miss our ACC opener. BC at home has always been a struggle, they are going to be fired up after WF worked them last year, and WF will be the team with the less-experienced QB.

Finally, game 4 is ND. Had a feeling that this could be the year where WF takes down the Irish, but WF will either be starting an inexperienced QB or Hinton will be getting his first game reps of the year against a likely top 25 team with 3 games under their belt.

Realize Hartman and Newman have promise, but it takes a while even for the best QBs to settle in; expect this to cost WF at least one game maybe two (the 2nd could be ND which WF could win if it is hitting on all cylinders heading into week 4, which now seems unlikely).

Completely craptastic news.

Yep, agree with all of this. Losing Hinton is big any way you slice it, but the main issue is inexperience. Can Newman/Hartman run the offense effectively, make the right reads, etc? Granted, I strongly believe we're going to be run heavy no matter who the startinh QB is with how good our line and RB's are. As long as the quarterback can make good decisions and hit on a couple passes (let Dortch and Washington do their thing), I think we'll be okay for our first two games mainly because I expect our offensive line to dominate the competition. Hopefully come the BC game, whichever guy is our QB will have had enough game reps to feel comfortable expanding the offense a bit.

Matt Colburn is clearly a stud but Christian Beal is the real deal. Really shifty guy that can run with quite a bit of power. I'm expecting our run game to be an absolute force. I get that I'm generally more positive than most, but I think we'll be fine in the Tulane game with BC being the first test.

I might do a little breakdown of Tulane & BC comparing strengths and weaknesses to ours since the first three games are so important. I'll post it here if I get the chance.

As has been stated, it's good that we're finding out now. I've been high on Newman, I like his size and athleticism, so maybe this is the opportunity he needs. I honestly hope that whoever gets the start the first 3 games, whether it be Newman or Hartman or whoever, knocks it out of the park and Hinton never sees the field again. Whatever he did, there's no excuse for blowing the opportunity for him to take over this team with Wolford gone. It's fine with me if Kendall Hinton becomes nothing more than a roster number from now on.

Fuck. I will need to change my WIndows signin password now. Should I choose JaN3wnan12? or SamHartm8n10?

Yep, agree with all of this. Losing Hinton is big any way you slice it, but the main issue is inexperience. Can Newman/Hartman run the offense effectively, make the right reads, etc? Granted, I strongly believe we're going to be run heavy no matter who the startinh QB is with how good our line and RB's are. As long as the quarterback can make good decisions and hit on a couple passes (let Dortch and Washington do their thing), I think we'll be okay for our first two games mainly because I expect our offensive line to dominate the competition. Hopefully come the BC game, whichever guy is our QB will have had enough game reps to feel comfortable expanding the offense a bit.

Matt Colburn is clearly a stud but Christian Beal is the real deal. Really shifty guy that can run with quite a bit of power. I'm expecting our run game to be an absolute force. I get that I'm generally more positive than most, but I think we'll be fine in the Tulane game with BC being the first test.

I might do a little breakdown of Tulane & BC comparing strengths and weaknesses to ours since the first three games are so important. I'll post it here if I get the chance.

Also by "fine" I specifically mean the offense. Tulane has a good offense but their defense is not good - pretty good secondary, so we should run all over them.

I guess you have to respect the way Clawson runs his program, but let's be honest, if this happened at a powerhouse program, Hinton would maybe miss one half of play. Last year, Baker Mayfield missed zero time in the first game after drunkenly fleeing from police and being tackled in a public embarassment for him and OU.

Whatever he did, Hinton is an idiot for blowing this opportunity, but this situation further adds to the perception that Wake likes to win "Compliance ACC/National Championships" rather than actual championships (other than country club sports of course!). A part of me thinks Wellman and his lackeys are pleased by this, as it lets them further flex their moral superiority muscles.

I guess you have to respect the way Clawson runs his program, but let's be honest, if this happened at a powerhouse program, Hinton would maybe miss one half of play. Last year, Baker Mayfield missed zero time in the first game after drunkenly fleeing from police and being tackled in a public embarassment for him and OU.

Whatever he did, Hinton is an idiot for blowing this opportunity, but this situation further adds to the perception that Wake likes to win "Compliance ACC/National Championships" rather than actual championships (other than country club sports of course!). A part of me thinks Wellman and his lackeys are pleased by this, as it lets them further flex their moral superiority muscles.

nice guys always finish last

Once again I've tried to point out that our problem in sports is our administration/BOT/AD at all levels. Not really our size and other factors. No one in charge at this school takes big time sports seriously. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Back