• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kendall Hinton Suspended First Three Games of 2018

Newman is a 6'4 235 LB RS-Soph, who has been learning the offense for 3 years. I trust that more than a true frosh who is still transitioning. Newman sounds pretty comfortable with his teammates and his offense after the spring game. I don't think he will be scared when he steps on the field at the start of the season. While I would be more comfortable if he had beaten out Kendall to become starter rather than due to a suspension, I still feel pretty good with him taking the snaps.

I guess you have to respect the way Clawson runs his program, but let's be honest, if this happened at a powerhouse program, Hinton would maybe miss one half of play. Last year, Baker Mayfield missed zero time in the first game after drunkenly fleeing from police and being tackled in a public embarassment for him and OU.

Whatever he did, Hinton is an idiot for blowing this opportunity, but this situation further adds to the perception that Wake likes to win "Compliance ACC/National Championships" rather than actual championships (other than country club sports of course!). A part of me thinks Wellman and his lackeys are pleased by this, as it lets them further flex their moral superiority muscles.

conspiracy theory: Clawson wanted cover to get a younger guy to the top of the depth chart while also sending a message to the team

Hard to say Clawson is being too harsh when we have no idea what they did...

3 games to me sounds more like "3 games until I figure out if I want you back on the team or not." Im not up to speed on what a transfer would look like for Hinton given his status, but I would imagine this brings the idea into play.

Agree that if it's a first or possibly even a second offense for weed, it would be too harsh.

Last edited:
It's not like he killed the president !

(Peter Warrick reference. He actually got two games after being charged with grand theft.)

While I think Hartman is going to be the man, the ideal scenario (obviously) is that Newman steps in and we never look back. Hartman get's to play in the first few games, but doesn't burn the shirt. We have qb competition this year, but it's going to be even more intense next season.

I'm not opposed to Clawson giving the reigns to Sam Hartman and developing the next 4 year starter.

This and the loss of Clark's commitment make QB depth a potential problem moving forward. We were going to have 4 seemingly legit QBs competing for time next year. Now I'd say it's very possible, probably likely, we'll only have 2 (Newman/Hartman).

This and the loss of Clark's commitment make QB depth a potential problem moving forward. We were going to have 4 seemingly legit QBs competing for time next year. Now I'd say it's very possible, probably likely, we'll only have 2 (Newman/Hartman).

You think Hinton leaves after this year? If Newman/Hartman come in and kill it, I think that happens, and Hinton goes and plays somewhere as a grad transfer. If Hinton wins the starting job back, he's back next year.

I'm not opposed to Clawson giving the reigns to Sam Hartman and developing the next 4 year starter.

As SayHey pointed out, we have effectively had three starters over the past 12 years. You'd have to figure 4 starters for 16 years is pretty rare, if not unprecedented in the modern era.

Opportunity is knocking. It knocked on Hinton's door and he completely blew it. Let his team down big time. Not sure how he gets the respect back from his team mates. Now the question is who will be the next Riley Skinner? The opportunity is there. Great OL, finally, great receivers, great running backs. The piece are in place for someone to step up and be great. Just wonder who it will be. If I were on the team, Hinton would become an outcast. Thanks a lot for letting us all down.

Newman is a 6'4 235 LB RS-Soph, who has been learning the offense for 3 years. I trust that more than a true frosh who is still transitioning. Newman sounds pretty comfortable with his teammates and his offense after the spring game. I don't think he will be scared when he steps on the field at the start of the season. While I would be more comfortable if he had beaten out Kendall to become starter rather than due to a suspension, I still feel pretty good with him taking the snaps.

This. I'm excited about the prospect of starting a redshirt sophomore as opposed to starting a tFR or rFR. I hope people haven't gotten too used to starting a QB for four years out of necessity like we did with Skinner, Price, and Wolford. That's 12 years with 3 starting QBs. It would be a huge step back if we have to rely on a true frosh to take his lumps like we did in 2014 and 2010.

The ideal situation is that Newman starts the first three games. Bowers and Hartman are the backups and play well vs. Towson. Hinton or Newman start the rest of the season and thanks to the new redshirt rule, Hartman keeps the redshirt. Gotta think Clawson will be much less likely to burn Hartman's shirt given Clark's decommit.

You think Hinton leaves after this year? If Newman/Hartman come in and kill it, I think that happens, and Hinton goes and plays somewhere as a grad transfer. If Hinton wins the starting job back, he's back next year.

I agree with this.

They probably don't have to kill it. As long as they're playing pretty well and winning/keeping us in games, I doubt Clawson would bench them for Hinton.

The idea of a 6'4", 235 pound dual threat QB has me pretty excited for Newman, although I do think Hartman is probably the better QB in the long run. Will be interesting for sure.

They probably don't have to kill it. As long as they're playing pretty well and winning/keeping us in games, I doubt Clawson would bench them for Hinton.

The idea of a 6'4", 235 pound dual threat QB has me pretty excited for Newman, although I do think Hartman is probably the better QB in the long run. Will be interesting for sure.

We know Clawson believes starters shouldn't lose their job during the season due to injury. Does he feel that way about suspensions?

Hard not to read between the lines a bit here and assume Clawson is sending a clear message that he's not happy with how Hinton is handling himself. A 3 game suspension this early screams repeat offense and disconnect with the coaching staff.

I'm all for the storyline where Hinton steps into the starting role, improves his short passes and decision making, and takes on a Wolford-like leadership position on the team. But with the running game we should have we don't really need a run-for-your-life QB who throws a nice deep ball but struggles to hit precise routes and read defenses - and definitely not one that has off-the-field issues and distractions.

Have to trust that Clawson's making the right decision here based on his record here so far.

We know Clawson believes starters shouldn't lose their job during the season due to injury. Does he feel that way about suspensions?

If say, Newman leads us to 3 wins to start the season and looks good doing so, I don't see how Hinton would get the start in game #4. Losing your job to injury and suspended for being boneheaded are 2 different things.

This. I'm excited about the prospect of starting a redshirt sophomore as opposed to starting a tFR or rFR. I hope people haven't gotten too used to starting a QB for four years out of necessity like we did with Skinner, Price, and Wolford. That's 12 years with 3 starting QBs. It would be a huge step back if we have to rely on a true frosh to take his lumps like we did in 2014 and 2010.

The ideal situation is that Newman starts the first three games. Bowers and Hartman are the backups and play well vs. Towson. Hinton or Newman start the rest of the season and thanks to the new redshirt rule, Hartman keeps the redshirt. Gotta think Clawson will be much less likely to burn Hartman's shirt given Clark's decommit.

Agreed but I'd be happy to have the next one of any three of those guys somewhere on the roster whatever class they are in.

Hard not to read between the lines a bit here and assume Clawson is sending a clear message that he's not happy with how Hinton is handling himself. A 3 game suspension this early screams repeat offense and disconnect with the coaching staff.

I'm all for the storyline where Hinton steps into the starting role, improves his short passes and decision making, and takes on a Wolford-like leadership position on the team. But with the running game we should have we don't really need a run-for-your-life QB who throws a nice deep ball but struggles to hit precise routes and read defenses - and definitely not one that has off-the-field issues and distractions.

Have to trust that Clawson's making the right decision here based on his record here so far.

I trust Clawson too. I'm not saying that Claw wouldn't stand on principles and suspend someone even if he thought that player was the best option to win games. However, my guess is Clawson sees Hinton as someone who has had multiple chances and just never broke in to being "the guy." Might as well make a strong point to the team and open up the opportunity for some young guys who might actually step up. I never saw anything out of Hinton that made me think he would eventually take over the reigns anyway.

If say, Newman leads us to 3 wins to start the season and looks good doing so, I don't see how Hinton would get the start in game #4. Losing your job to injury and suspended for being boneheaded are 2 different things.

Hinton played well vs. Notre Dame last year in I think one series.

Back