Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1427

Thread: Putin-Trump Treason Summit

  1. #221
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,354

  2. #222
    The thing that gets me about all this is that if Obama or Bill Clinton (or Hillary or John Kerry or Al Gore if they'd been elected) had behaved this way towards Putin or any earlier Russian leader, like Yeltsin, the GOP would be screaming bloody murder, openly calling them a traitor to the United States, and calling for their immediate removal from office by any means necessary. But since it's Trump, the GOP has offered nothing more than muted criticism - meaningless words followed by...nothing. And, among his followers, there has actually been support and even admiration for Putin. I believe that Franklin Graham praised Putin as some kind of defender of "Christian beliefs" or some such.

    The hypocrisy here is complete. For decades the GOP right-wing has engaged in dark conspiracy fantasies about liberals being secret stooges of Soviet/Russian dictators that are hostile to our way of life. Yet here we are, in 2018, and it is the right wing's dream POTUS who faces serious accusations of colluding with Russians to undermine our election system, for having a bromance with a Russian dictator, and for undermining our relationships with our closest allies on behalf of the Russians. Not LibDems, but all those superpatriot right-wingers. And his followers seem to approve of it.

  3. #223
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    Anytime I think I can't hate Trump any worse, I just have to wander of here, and find daily evidence of just how terrible he is. Saw a great bumper sticker in Atlanta this past weekend

    'Any functioning adult, 2020'

  4. #224
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,064
    remember when republicans fucking flipped out because Obama bowed or some shit

  5. #225
    Historically Competitive
    Wrangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mississippi Delta
    Posts
    12,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    The thing that gets me about all this is that if Obama or Bill Clinton (or Hillary or John Kerry or Al Gore if they'd been elected) had behaved this way towards Putin or any earlier Russian leader, like Yeltsin, the GOP would be screaming bloody murder, openly calling them a traitor to the United States, and calling for their immediate removal from office by any means necessary. But since it's Trump, the GOP has offered nothing more than muted criticism - meaningless words followed by...nothing. And, among his followers, there has actually been support and even admiration for Putin. I believe that Franklin Graham praised Putin as some kind of defender of "Christian beliefs" or some such.

    The hypocrisy here is complete. For decades the GOP right-wing has engaged in dark conspiracy fantasies about liberals being secret stooges of Soviet/Russian dictators that are hostile to our way of life. Yet here we are, in 2018, and it is the right wing's dream POTUS who faces serious accusations of colluding with Russians to undermine our election system, for having a bromance with a Russian dictator, and for undermining our relationships with our closest allies on behalf of the Russians. Not LibDems, but all those superpatriot right-wingers. And his followers seem to approve of it.
    They don't approve of it, they just don't care. For Trumpets, it is all about power acquisition at any cost. Trump has acquired them a voice, and so it really doesn't matter what he does as long as they voted for him. It is a sad self confirming bias, that isn't going to go away no matter how idiotic trump acts.

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    remember when republicans fucking flipped out because Obama bowed or some shit
    Brown suit.

  7. #227
    Mustard on a hamburger

  8. #228
    Ishmael Smith fuheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greensboro
    Posts
    4,279
    feet on the desk
    maybe moved a bust of Churchill, thereby irrevocably damaging our special relationship

  9. #229
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,064
    This Is the Moment of Truth for Republicans
    The GOP can either defend the United States or serve the damaged and defective man who is now its president.


    There are exactly two possible explanations for the shameful performance the world witnessed on Monday, from a serving American president.

    Either Donald Trump is flat-out an agent of Russian interests—witting, unwitting, from fear of blackmail, in hope of future deals, out of manly respect for Vladimir Putin, out of gratitude for Russia's help during the election, out of pathetic inability to see beyond his 306 electoral votes—whatever the exact mixture of motives might be, it doesn't really matter.

    Or he is so profoundly ignorant, insecure, and narcissistic not to realize that, at every step, he was advancing the line that Putin hoped he would advance, and the line that the American intelligence, defense, and law-enforcement agencies most dreaded.

    Conscious tool. Useful idiot. Those are the choices, though both possibly true—the main question is the proportions.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    They don't approve of it, they just don't care. For Trumpets, it is all about power acquisition at any cost. Trump has acquired them a voice, and so it really doesn't matter what he does as long as they voted for him. It is a sad self confirming bias, that isn't going to go away no matter how idiotic trump acts.
    But her emails... or uranium one... or Clinton Foundation... Or some other contrived bullshit.

  11. #231
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    My pre-meeting assessment of Trump looking like Chamberlain, Custer, Benedict Arnold and Charlie Brown is looking pretty accurate.

  12. #232

  13. #233
    Strong words.

    There will be no action taken.

  14. #234
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,064
    Quote Originally Posted by AsesinoDeTortugas View Post
    Strong words.

    There will be no action taken.
    yeah, votes with Trump

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    "Conscious tool. Useful idiot. Those are the choices, though both possibly true—the main question is the proportions."
    Damn. That's perfect.

  16. #236
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,765

    Putin-Trump Treason Summit

    When you need the rubes to vote for you, you can’t turn on the rube king.
    Last edited by Deacfreak07; 07-16-2018 at 02:28 PM.

  17. #237
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangor View Post
    They don't approve of it, they just don't care. For Trumpets, it is all about power acquisition at any cost. Trump has acquired them a voice, and so it really doesn't matter what he does as long as they voted for him. It is a sad self confirming bias, that isn't going to go away no matter how idiotic trump acts.
    Yep. This is your Republican Party.

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by AsesinoDeTortugas View Post
    Strong words.

    There will be no action taken.
    Trump owns the GOP now. A handful like McCain will make some noise, but based on their actions (or non-actions) of the past 18 months, it's highly doubtful that Congressional Republicans will do anything meaningful. They're all terrified of their own base, especially after what happened to Mark Sanford in his primary. The only way some of them might start turning on Trump is if the GOP takes a real beating in this year's elections. That might scare enough of them to try to do something other than talk, but even then I don't think Trump's base will turn on him, so most Republican pols will still stick with Trump.
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 07-16-2018 at 02:34 PM.

  19. #239
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    Trump owns the GOP now. A handful like McCain will make some noise, but based on their actions (or non-actions) of the past 18 months, it's highly doubtful that Congressional Republicans will do anything meaningful. They're all terrified of their own base, especially after what happened to Mark Sanford in his primary. The only way some of them might start turning on Trump is if the GOP takes a real beating in this year's elections. That might scare enough of them to try to do something other than talk, but even then I don't think Trump's base will turn on him, so most Republican pols will still stick with Trump.
    Any Republican who turns on Trump risks losing a primary. Trump is as popular among Republicans now as Bush was right after 9/11. Republicans will not turn on him. Even if there is a Blue Wave, the rationale will be that Republicans lost because Trump wasn't on the ballot. They'll stack harder to him in 2020, especially because they'll be more embolden in the Democrats take control of the House and/or Senate. Even the Republicans critical of Trump can't resist voting against Dems in charge.

  20. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Any Republican who turns on Trump risks losing a primary. Trump is as popular among Republicans now as Bush was right after 9/11. Republicans will not turn on him. Even if there is a Blue Wave, the rationale will be that Republicans lost because Trump wasn't on the ballot. They'll stack harder to him in 2020, especially because they'll be more embolden in the Democrats take control of the House and/or Senate. Even the Republicans critical of Trump can't resist voting against Dems in charge.
    I don't really disagree, I just think the only possible event that would cause even a small number of Congressional Republicans to turn on Trump in any kind of meaningful way would be if the Democrats swept to major gains this year. It still wouldn't be more than a handful, at that. The GOP has become a party where the tail is wagging the dog.

    ETA: Even if a handful of the GOP congressional caucus turned on Trump, it wouldn't make any difference, as the great majority of Congressional Republicans would, as you said, stick with him to the bitter end, lest they antagonize their base.
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 07-16-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •