• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Vinyl and Turntables

The challenge may be hooking a new-ish turntable up to those speakers. Unless you plan to replace the speakers as well.

Turntable to speakers should not be an issue. Condition if the speakers could be. Dried out foam, torn or rotted paper cones etc. Connecting new turntable to old receiver might be a problem. If (big if here) you can use the old amp it will (still) connect properly to the old speakers.

Depending on where you live, odds are there's a second-hand store nearby that sells vinyls. I built up my collection buying LPs at $1-2 a pop.
And estate sales. But be careful, you'll get in too deep. I decided once I reached 3000 albums, I should probably get rid of some. Now I'm trying to cull the herd.

If you had an old time stereo cabinet like below, could you retrofit it with a newer turntable?

maBbww5e1yCi5yq8E0FTt3A.jpg
I've got a 1965 RCA that my grandparents had in their house. I've owned a few other turntables, but nothing compares to the sound of a classic cabinet.
e9f3c27e9774ced8d482a6e8f4ce0775.jpg

And estate sales. But be careful, you'll get in too deep. I decided once I reached 3000 albums, I should probably get rid of some. Now I'm trying to cull the herd.

I've got a 1965 RCA that my grandparents had in their house. I've owned a few other turntables, but nothing compares to the sound of a classic cabinet.
e9f3c27e9774ced8d482a6e8f4ce0775.jpg

tsy, that's because you never listened to good hifi...

Success, We ended up0 the the Audio Technica AT-LP 60 and got some new speakers. Time to hit the store for some more vinyl!

Yeah, take the Pepsi Challenge with a cabinet vs. my Pro-ject table-->tube preamp-->Yamaha receiver-->Def Tech towers setup and tell me you still prefer a cabinet.

I've even found this true with the LP-120, Sony receiver, and Bose (when they still made high quality speakers) speakers.

I am working on selling most of my collection. If anyone is interested, i can send them my discogs store once I’ve added everything.

I'm an expert by no means, but most digital tracks have been remastered and in some cases are noticeably different than their vinyl counterparts.

Yes, you have to master them differently, but I think that primarily involves tapering off the low end with a high pass filter. Probably involves more than that, but that's definitely a big part of it. But a remaster is not a remix, so the gist of the mix remains the same, just less thump and maybe less high end frequencies too.

ETA a link I found. High pass and low pass filters, sounds like (noted in link as low cut and high cut filters, which are the same things). https://www.gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-mastering/

Well it's 6 years later, but I should add that in addition to the above, the remasters usually are brought up substantially in volume in order to make them radio-friendly for the modern crowd. This involves additonal EQ, compression, and limiting. If you look at a wav file of the older recordings, they are substantially below that 0 or -2db limit of modern recordings. So they bring them up the volume, but that they still have to deal with the peaks on things like snare hits or cymbal crashes, which are usually the highest peaks in the wav form. If you just set your limiter to -2db, then it barely hits that threshold on the snare hits and doesn't really get the bulk of the track loud enough. So you have to squash/compress those hits and bring up the rest of the track to volume match the new tracks. That obviously effects dynamics in the original track, but also can impact the actual sound. There are plenty of examples over the years where it was overdone (Death Magnetic, What's the Story Morning Glory), and some where it was tastefully done in order to match the originals as much as possible (The Beatles reissues).

As to the original thread, I still have the turntable I had in HS-- a marginal old Sony that works just fine. I had to replace the stylus once because the original was destroyed when I failed to lock the arm in place during a move. I upgraded my receiver recently to one that will hook up and play all the modern amenities, but still had a phono input. Those aren't exactly easy to find unless you're willing to shell out big bucks, which I wasn't. I think I got it for $80 on FB marketplace. I got rid of most of my vinyl years ago and saved the stuff I liked best. Some of those I got rid of I regret, and some that I kept I don't know why the hell I kept. But I've been playing it more lately. When my kiddo wants me to play the gaming console with her, I play records up there while I'm doing it. Subjects her to the classics and the whole antiquated idea of vinyl. In a couple years, she'll be the same age I was when I bought my first records (which I still have).

With this interest, trivia question:

How many grooves are on a 33 RPM LP vinyl disk?

Back