• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Villanova

skinnydeac

Reaction score
Wake adds Villanova to 2020 schedule.

Better or worse than playing App?

Wake adds Villanova to 2020 schedule.

Better or worse than playing App?

Sometimes you just have to find a team that fits in the schedule at the proper time after another game has to be changed. That is how we happened upon going to Utah State a few years ago.

I don't see value in scheduling an FCS team with a history of being competitive.

I could have swore that they were moving up and joining the Big East, or whatever the hell the Big East is now...

ETA- They were all set to join the Big East before it dissolved, they couldn't latch onto the AAC.

Seeing Old Domionion and Villanova on the same schedule is kind of weird, luckily ODU moved up to FBS a few years back.

Last edited:
I don't see value in scheduling an FCS team with a history of being competitive.

Not sure how good or bad you define as "competitive. They were 5-6 overall and 3-5 in their confence last season. Two years ago they were 9-4 (playoffs) and 6-1conf. Three years ago they were 6-4. Not really an FCS juggernaut.

I could have swore that they wee moving up and joining the Big East, or whatever the hell the Big East is now...

ETA- They were all set to join the Big East before it dissolved, they couldn't latch onto the AAC.

Seeing Old Domionion and Villanova on the same schedule is kind of weird, luckily ODU moved up to FBS a few years back.

Football is why the BE, as we used to know it, disbanded into a basketball conference. Most of the schools in the basketball BE either don't play football or do it on a lower level.

Well they have an FCS title in the last decade and have made the playoffs in six of the last ten years. I'd consider that "competitive." My real point is why play an FCS team that even comes close to sniffing the playoffs and risk a loss? Play a team that's consistently in the bottom half of the FCS to guarantee yourself a win and get the hell out of dodge.

The real question is whether they are historically competitive IMO.

Well they have an FCS title in the last decade and have made the playoffs in six of the last ten years. I'd consider that "competitive." My real point is why play an FCS team that even comes close to sniffing the playoffs and risk a loss? Play a team that's consistently in the bottom half of the FCS to guarantee yourself a win and get the hell out of dodge.

I don't think Clawson remotely thinks about this game as risking a loss. He has the guys ready to play FSU/Clemson/Louisville. His goal is to win the ACC. Deacs by 35.

WF played at Villanova in the mid to late 80s, when Dooley coached the Deacs. Gorgeous campus in a beautiful Philly burb; dinky football stadium; Villanova hung for a half, but WF wore the Cats down.

During that game, a WF RB named Mark Young caught a pass in the flat; and the Nova LB read the play and had an exposed Young in his sights, and the Nova LB took a free run lowering his shoulder right into Young's chest; the stadium cheered/gasped as they expected Young to go down from the ferocious hit; instead, the Nova LB crumpled, and Young scampered for huge gain. One of the hardest hits that I've ever seen a RB just shrug off. You could feel the impact in the stadium.

Young was an underrated stud RB for the Deacs in the 80s.

Last edited:
I was at that game in 1988 with my wife and 3-month old daughter. Actually Pilchard Villanova didn't "hang for a half", they were blown out by halftime something like 38-3, then as Dooley was quoted in the paper saying "they just rolled their helmets onto the field in the second half." It was sickening. We did not score after halftime. Villanova mounted a strong comeback and seemed to move the ball at will. I forget the final score, maybe Nova scored in the 20s. But I remember being super excited for the season in the first half (first game of the year), and very depressed the second.

I don't know anything about the game (other than wonder why we played at a Division I-AA team - even in 1988) but the final score was 31-11.

I have no doubt that Clawson expects to romp, I still think it's dumb to play a decent FCS team.

Yes, that is what the football media guide says, but I seem to recall Nova scoring at least 17 and perhaps in the 20s. In the Philly morning papers they wrote that Villanova had made a respectable game of it, but only after Wake blew them out and wasn't motivated the rest of the way. 31 would be something I could see for us, but only 11 for Nova? Maybe a typo in the score? Or just my eroding memory...

Pretty sure ee were up 42-0 at the half and just gave them 11 points so we wouldn’t cover the spread.

I could have swore that they were moving up and joining the Big East, or whatever the hell the Big East is now...

There were discussions about bumping the program up a handful of years ago but it never got that close. They had no interest in joining the AAC.

They'd make much more staying in the BE.

Nova has a nice little stadium.

Villanova, like most Catholic schools, gave up on DI football about 40 years ago. Mike Siani and Howie Long were the last big time players. Cats won the SBS national championship about 5 years ago. We will defeat them handily.

Villanova, like most Catholic schools, gave up on DI football about 40 years ago. Mike Siani and Howie Long were the last big time players. Cats won the SBS national championship about 5 years ago. We will defeat them handily.

Brian Westbrook says hi.

He went to Nova. Had multiple 1000 yard rushing seasons and couple of Pro Bowls for the Eagles in the 2000s.

Back