• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maxine Waters has flipped her wig

+1000

It is a rich irony to observe Trumpists - and all of their deafening silence (and sometimes active participation) on Trump's violent and inflammatory rhetoric - now cry about Maxine Waters calling for more protests and a restaurant owner refusing service to Sarah Sanders.

Your hypocrisy continues to be exposed.

You do not seem consistent on this at all. Yesterday you were providing David French's tweets calling for civility.

If he believes that Donald supporters are hypocritical for not acquiescing and applauding/defending liberals' right to protest and say whatever they want (in line with whatever the anti-PC movement claims to be these days) I don't see an inconsistency.

He could want civility from everyone and not think that Waters' comments are acceptable while also believing Donald supporters are hypocrites for advocating against political correctness only when it's on a substantive issue they support.

You are so full of shit and so predictable.

If you had any common sense, you'd realize what Waters did HELPED Trump massive and could some Republicans win in November. My bad, if a Dem isn't sufficiently extreme for MHB, he/she be voted against. Putting a Republican in a seat will show show Trump.

MHB and other millennials will be taking decades to fix the problems Trump's people create.

Meh. This dissembling, common among liberal pundits, is far more damaging to democrats’ (and thus the nations’) chances in 2018 than anything Waters said. The snowflakes on the right are going to play grievance politics regardless, no reason to tip-toe around their feelings when you are right on the issue.

We can argue about whether public shame or public discomfort is an effective motivator for Trump’s staff and supporters, but to the extent that it is we should be all guns blazing at this point.

Everyone should not be swinging. Too many people doing it loses impact. The wrong people doing it takes way from results and gives the opposition easy targets to excite their base which is a very bad idea.

I can see it now

[trump supporter]: Well I wasn't going to vote for Trump this time, but did you see that Maxine Waters!!!

Everyone should not be swinging. Too many people doing it loses impact. The wrong people doing it takes way from results and gives the opposition easy targets to excite their base which is a very bad idea.

i agree with the nutjobs MDMH and MHBD

You do not seem consistent on this at all. Yesterday you were providing David French's tweets calling for civility.

Fair challenge especially given that my views on the appropriate response to Trumpist rhetoric is an ever evolving one.

However numbers summed it up pretty well. I almost always support civil discourse in the political arena (Frum's argument) therefore I am most appalled and bothered by the hypocrisy of Trump supporters (from the top down) who haven't said a peep about their own movement in the past two years. Add in the fact that their rhetoric is more frequent, more violent, and more damaging to cultural/constitutional norms than anything coming from the left (especially among elected officials and those running for office)...the hypocrisy is even more maddening.

Trump's base and the media (in an effort to show balance) are falsely portraying the transgressions of both sides as equivalent when one is far far worse. This isn't right.

Final thought:
The center/left anti-trump coalition will never out-trump Trump so we should be wary of fighting on his turf by parroting his calls for violence, juvenile name calling and racist rhetoric. It's not a natural fit and it will play into their hands.

That being said, I have no problem with the center/left (the majority of the country) acting as a check against this President - especially since Congress has largely abdicated its responsibility here. And especially since we are beginning to deal with more severe issues of human rights.

Trump has also completely re-written the rules of political discourse (for the worst) so we're going to need to evolve. I'm not sure what exactly that should look like but private citizens refusing to serve the White House's Chief Propagandist (who uses our tax money to lie to our faces on a daily basis) is okay with me. Harassment and threats are not.

Fair challenge especially given that my views on the appropriate response to Trumpist rhetoric is an ever evolving one.

However numbers summed it up pretty well. I almost always support civil discourse in the political arena (Frum's argument) therefore I am most appalled and bothered by the hypocrisy of Trump supporters (from the top down) who haven't said a peep about their own movement in the past two years. Add in the fact that their rhetoric is more frequent, more violent, and more damaging to cultural/constitutional norms than anything coming from the left (especially among elected officials and those running for office)...the hypocrisy is even more maddening.

Trump's base and the media (in an effort to show balance) are falsely portraying the transgressions of both sides as equivalent when one is far far worse. This isn't right.

Final thought:
The center/left anti-trump coalition will never out-trump Trump so we should be wary of fighting on his turf by parroting his calls for violence, juvenile name calling and racist rhetoric. It's not a natural fit and it will play into their hands.

That being said, I have no problem with the center/left (the majority of the country) acting as a check against this President - especially since Congress has largely abdicated its responsibility here. And especially since we are beginning to deal with more severe issues of human rights.

Trump has also completely re-written the rules of political discourse (for the worst) so we're going to need to evolve. I'm not sure what exactly that should look like but private citizens refusing to serve the White House's Chief Propagandist (who uses our tax money to lie to our faces on a daily basis) is okay with me. Harassment and threats are not.

Threats aren’t but “harassment” is just another word for protest.

No everyone should be swinging. The only way to stop Trump is through sheer numbers and force. Waters’ remarks will motivate more democrats to the polls than it will republicans. The main focus should of course be turn out and issues people care about, but it’s a mistake to demand 100% adherence to some overarching dem strategy (as if that were possible).

If Waters or Pelosi keep taking, they will drive far more Republicans to the polls then Dems. Each is a major driver of donations to the GOP as well talking points in the GOP universe. They should on vacation until mid-November.

Pelosi is doing the same thing you're doing, calling out Waters and throwing cold water on the activated left.

Let the left speak, just not Waters. In fact, promote the young left. Get more young voters out.

Pelosi should be gone as well. Let her raise money and work behind the scenes. In public, she's a net gain for the GOP.

If Waters or Pelosi keep taking, they will drive far more Republicans to the polls then Dems. Each is a major driver of donations to the GOP as well talking points in the GOP universe. They should on vacation until mid-November.

Damn. RJ gets something right for once. Keep both of 'em on television 24/7....and see if you can round up Al Sharpton to make some appearances, too.

Democrats certainly have short memories. Not to worry, though.....those middle-aged working class white voters are going to show up to vote in November. They were always going to be there, Maxine Waters or no Maxine Waters. The Hollywood/Liberal Media crusade to invalidate the last election made sure of that a long time ago.

(By the way, Chuck Schumer has been trying his best to get Maxine Waters to shut up.)

Last edited:
If Waters and Pelosi drive more Republicans to the polls than Donald and the far right drives Democrats then the left is in far worse shape than I thought.

I agree with RJ here. Pelosi and Waters are way too toxic to act as the de facto leader of the Democratic Party.

Booker, Moulton, Gillibrand, Duckworth, Schiff plus a few others would be a much better leader/messenger.

Final thought:
The center/left anti-trump coalition will never out-trump Trump so we should be wary of fighting on his turf by parroting his calls for violence, juvenile name calling and racist rhetoric.

Harassment and threats are not.

No one on the left is advocating to do any of those things.

Not every issue needs a false equivalency.

Yeah this just isn’t true. The main driver of donations is tax cuts and corporate welfare. The main drivers of votes are guns, religion, and racism

I agree with RJ here. Pelosi and Waters are way too toxic to act as the de facto leader of the Democratic Party.

Booker, Moulton, Gillibrand, Duckworth, Schiff plus a few others would be a much better leader/messenger.

Booker said to confront Trump officials "with love." Fuck that.

Back